Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-15-2001, 11:49 AM   #31
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

Default Re: Are Super Valves Headed for Motorcycles?

This system uses a system comparable to a movable rocker shaft to either move the rocker arms closer to or farther from the camshaft in order to reduce lift, duration, or both. The goal of using the intake valves to throttle the motor instead of throttle valves is that you reduce parasitic pumping loses, which translates into more low-end power. However, the size of the cylinder head on this thing will be huge.
oldjapbikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2001, 12:03 PM   #32
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

I think the dumbest aspect about all of this is that there has been manysystems already invented to replace camshaft-actuated poppet valves. Only 12 months ago I saw a motor in Popular Hotrodding or similar that had special cylinder heads on them that had no poppet valves at all. In each head was a camshaft with, instead of cams, hockey-puck-lookin' things, one per cylinder. The inventor drilled a hole off-center through the top of the puck. One side of the puck faced the combustion chamber and the other faced the intake and exhaust ports. As the puck rotated, the hole would uncover the exhaust and then intake ports, allowing normal valving operation. This system contributed almost no vibration to the engine, had very little friction, and had no rpm limit. the 351 ford V8 they had used had survived numerous dyno pulls up to 14,000 rpm, making incredible horsepower at that level!

This is just an example of the many, many technologies out there that the automakers could have tried, but didn't. Electric valves are nice for their adjustability but there are many technical hurdles to overcome.
oldjapbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 12:30 PM   #33
granny
Founding Member

Oh, I forgot to mention that this means a law could retroactively reduce the power of your bike to fall into complaince with new legislation or ploicy regarding the maximum power that bike could produce. You know of course

This would be achieved via a cellular radio, the same mechanism that gives Mercedes Benz it's TeleAid and GM it's OnStar (which can unlock your car door when your a boob and lock your self out) can reprogram your engine controller (in principle at least). Big brother is in control...
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 04:18 AM   #34
Lincoln
Founding Member

a normally aspirated 351 V-8 that pulls to 14,000rpm??? not to sound disbelieving, but does it run on gas and what is the bore/stroke on this thing?
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 06:58 AM   #35
hindle
Founding Member

While all that is very true and likely to happen it won't be a show stopper at all. They will just sell chips on the aftermarket. Probably a multitude of different chips for optimum low end, mid or top end. That way the racers can tune for the track and streeter can have whatever they want.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 03:13 PM   #36
john
Founding Member

I think F1 motors are currently going at 18,000 to 19,000 rpm. The teams are understandably very secretive about their hardware, but Jaguar, one of the bottom rungers right now, says their car is 1,300 lbs with 830 hp. Someone correct me if i am wrong but i believe this is with a 3.0L naturally aspirated engine.
Old 05-03-2001, 12:36 PM   #37
thegarester
Founding Member

Default And where Renault are where in the points?

I wouldn't hold your breath. F1 technology is way ahead of bike technology but it still doesn't make it here. I guess there is just more money in it and so it doesn't come to biking until the cost has dropped, a la carbon fiber (or fibre depending where you are from)
thegarester is offline   Reply With Quote