Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
TomSmith
Founding Member

Default Re: NPR Story on Bike Noise Arizona.

Numero EIN! They have to pass laws all the time in order to justify their existence.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

stock pipes are 80 dba, leave your pipes stock or get quiet aftermarket pipes. I do wonder where they get the yay-hoo's for comentary ..." You don't see no airplane on that sign"............

makes us all look so clever.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
mjs
Founding Member

Loud pipes just p..ss most people off and make for unhappy neighbors.

Way to go Carefree.

Ticket those a...holes
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Gritboy
Founding Member

Seems to me a town bypass would be a way to fix it. Of course the folks of Carefree would probably complain they were loosing in biking tourist cash.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, it looks like the ordinance is having the intended effect. What's the big deal?

I don't get it. Motorcycles have been subject to ticketting for open pipes about as long as I can remember. Why, all of a sudden, is there this special class of Dragpipe/Racecan riders that think they can wake every sleeping baby within a 2 block radius? Don't they have any manners? I guess not.

So a few pi$$ed off GPTBs gotta make a national stink about it. Just grow up. Good manners pay dividends at little cost. Being polite doesn't mean giving up your rights. Just use a little consideration.

I got ticketed for having open pipes on my old W2650 back in '72 before there was much in the way of noise controls... and none by the Fed. It's called disturbing the peace. If you want to make a bunch of noise then do what target shooters do. You go out in the middle of nowhere and blow your eardrums out to your heart's content. Their your ears. I don't care if you wreck 'em.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
SprintSTer
Registered Member

Default Loud pipes can save lives.

Ridiculously loud pipes are just that- ridiculous. As long as the noise level can be controlled by a rider, there is nothing wrong with pipes that can be loud, and they can save lives. I have to ride through a a nature preserve at dusk to get home from work. I often see deer standing off the side of the road. When I do, I slow down, pull in the clutch, and give it some throttle. Scares the sh!t out of the deer from some distance. They run off instead of jumping out in front of me as I get close. My pipes are after market, not much louder than stock, and only get really loud when I'm really on the gas, but they can get really loud if I want them to.
SprintSTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
ksquid
Banned

Excellent Point seriously... well said..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Loud pipes can save lives.

What is wrong with your horn?
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #9
Fenton
Founding Member

I think anyone on a Triumph or Ducati should be exempt from any exhaust laws.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
SprintSTer
Registered Member

Default Re: Loud pipes can save lives.

Horn works. The deer just aren't scared of it. They're scared of the sound of the motor being revved, though. I'm not some idiot that rides my bike revved up in a low gear going through town trying to be noticed by people. I just blip the throttle real good to scare the deer. Not much scares them. This nature preserve is in a built up area on the outskirts of Houston. It shares a border with the Johnson Space Center, so the deer are used to hearing T-38s, F-16s, and God knows what else. They ain't afraid of no measley little motorcycle horn. They're not afraid of a car horn. My bike is a Triumph Sprint ST with an aftermarket can. Not too loud, no one's ever complained. I am very careful to keep it quiet in residential areas. I've asked my neighbors and they've said its doesn't bother them. I just want to scare the deer.

On the subject of loud bikes and consideration of others, there was a bike rally in Galveston a few weeks ago. My family and I were on the way somewhere and stopped for gas. The baby was sound asleep. There were tons of folks on bikes filling up as well. I couldn't believe how loud some of those bikes were. Much louder than the Primus concert I recently saw. Needless to say, they woke up the baby. It got my wife mad, the clerks and other patrons in the station were complaining. All because a bunch of fat old men on their Harleys and Boss Hoss's.

SprintSTer is offline   Reply With Quote