Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Weekend Madness on Ortega Highway (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/411-weekend-madness-ortega-highway.html)

ldimick 03-12-2001 09:11 AM

Re: Weekend Madness on Ortega Highway

As a sport biking community we need to make sure that we are not lumped in with the morons who did this.

Get Well cards can be sent to:

CHP

32951 Camino Capistrano

San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675

They will give them to the officer.

sqidbait 03-12-2001 09:29 AM

So what happened to the cruiser dash camera

footage? That should be an easy way to find the

bikers.

-- MIchael

RobGixxer750 03-12-2001 09:48 AM

What makes me mad

What makes me mad is that maniacs run around the roads in cars, and they are just maniacs. Maniacs on bikes and they are "just another motorcyclist". It's lame, that's for sure.

These guys most likely did what they did because these bikes are stolen, these guys are NOT motorcyclists, they are criminals, and most likely thieves.

I hope the officer has a full and fast recovery. I also ask that people do not abuse the address that was listed here. Show some restraint and spare sending out silly letters saying you're glad it happened and what not (might I add they'll track you down for even joking anyhow, figured I'd add that since people don't seem to be able to show restraint around here quite often).

I hope they nail these guys.

Rob

ldimick 03-12-2001 09:58 AM

The bikes were being pulled over for not having license plates. The dashboard camera would not show much.

minime 03-12-2001 10:08 AM

Re: What makes me mad

Definately not your average motorcyclist, we'd like to think. And as for the "blunt object" used to strike the officer, we hear -- though it is not confirmed -- that the object was the officer's flashlight.

We'll keep you posted with any updates.

moto 03-12-2001 10:12 AM

While I don't condone this sort of violence, I wonder what the officer did to initiate this.

A_Nominal_Squid 03-12-2001 10:12 AM

Does anyone have the officer's last name, at least? Easier to write a note if you have someone specific to address it to...

-a nominal squid-

SB8RC 03-12-2001 10:17 AM

what kind of bikes?

they werent riding HARLEYS were they?

ramsey is a fag

CBR1000F 03-12-2001 10:28 AM

Didn't you read? He initiated a traffic stop on two motorcycles without license plates. That was most likely enough, as the bikes were probably stolen.

DataDan 03-12-2001 10:42 AM

Additional info from the Register

Below is a link to additional info from the OC Register. It occurred at 6:45AM on Sunday, on the Orange County side just east of Caspers park (possibly near the long straight before the ranger station), and they fled east toward Elsinore. The article includes a composite drawing of one suspect, and a generic bike description, "Ninja racing motorcycles".

http://www.ocregister.com/local/chp00312cci1.shtml

ldimick 03-12-2001 11:03 AM

The CHP has specifically refused to give the officers name. However, I can tell you that it was a male sargeant.

ldimick 03-12-2001 11:04 AM

Re: What makes me mad

I have it form another source, who hangs with the CHP, that it may have been either a board or a stick. Either way it was definitely a blunt force attack.

twobeagles 03-12-2001 11:10 AM

He was doing his job, what do you think?

magneto 03-12-2001 11:31 AM

What gives the police the right to pull over all riders in order to question them? Would they be doing the same thing if a civilian motorcyclist was attacked? If the officer would have followed his procedures he would not have been in such a vulnerable position.

stevegrab 03-12-2001 11:32 AM

What does it matter what he did. You don't condone this, but somehow you still think it was the cops fault. Give me a break.

Have you ever seen a known criminal (like with arrest warrants) get pulled over? They run immediately and will do many crazy things just to prevent getting caught (because that means going to jail). So I doubt this officer did anything to provoke this attack, other than his job (in this case possibly trying to recover some stolen bikes, which we should appreciate).

midlifecrisis 03-12-2001 11:34 AM

Hey jerkoff

Obviously, the officer was doing his job, why refer to his contact with these anonymous bikers as an initiation? Last time I checked, the police were sworn to protect and serve, what leads you to believe he deserved being assaulted? Are you assuming he was in the wrong, and by that logic, saying he got what was coming?

stevegrab 03-12-2001 11:34 AM

I think it is called probably cause. You (your bike) looked like it fit the description (you really think they can tell one model/brand from another).

Its the same thing that gets somebody pulled over after a robbery or other crime happens in a neighborhood. You fit the description, so they want to check you.

bluedot 03-12-2001 11:42 AM

You mean other than physical descriptions of bikes and rider

What do you mean it wouldn't show much?

itsmygixer 03-12-2001 12:14 PM

What a moron you are, magneto! the cops have the right to investigate crimes by stopping anyone who fits the description of someone who committed a crime. Think about the location of where this happened. How many "outs" are there on the Ortegas? There's one in O.C. and one in Elsinore. Quick action can catch the guys who did this. And speaking of procedure....what would you know about procedure for stopping a couple of guys out trying to scrape some pegs? It seems you have a problem with doing the right thing. I'm suprised you don't just come out and say it...."It was all the cop's fault!" Right? Most of the comments have been positive toward this officer who was doing his job, however you did not seem to get the point.

water73 03-12-2001 12:18 PM

is there any disciption of the looser who did this.

kc

itsmygixer 03-12-2001 12:31 PM

A certain "magneto" all but came out and blamed the CHP officer for the beating. What a fool! He's probably the type of person who to everybody about how unfair it is everytime he gets stopped for speeding (in a straight line) or doing a smokey burnout (how skillful). People need to do the right thing and just sign the ticket. In my over 16 years of sport biking, I have only been stopped once. I was not singled out, I was guilty! I was generously let go with a warning for two reasons. The first reason was that I wasn't doing something soooo stupid as to make it hard for the officer to give give me a warning instead of a ticket. The second reason I didn't have to give him my "autograph" was my attitude. Non-confrontational and truthful. If you lie to the cops, they will know it and you will get it.

The bikers who did this, were afraid they would get in trouble for something other than what they got stopped for. They probably had warrants or stolen bikes. You never know what people have in their closets. You can bet one thing! Ortega Hwy is going to be crawling with the CHP and very few warnings will be handed out to bikers for a while!

itsmygixer 03-12-2001 12:42 PM

Hmmmm. I was just thinking....what would be the #1 reason to take the plates off a bike before going for a ride?

You are an idiot for making such an ignorant statement!

As for the officer initiating this violence....probably asked for their license, registration, and insurance. What a rouge cop he must be, Huh?

Think about it!

itsmygixer 03-12-2001 01:05 PM

Re: You mean other than physical descriptions of bikes and r

CHP doesn't use video! It wouldnt' show anything...

josephblow 03-12-2001 01:07 PM

Must have been "racer" profiling...

Bob 03-12-2001 01:32 PM

YES, THE CULPRIT WAS RIDING AN R1. THAT SHOULD NARROW IT DOWN! BAD JOKE?

BammBamm 03-12-2001 02:14 PM

I don't think the point of this article is to comment on the actions of the criminals that thumped the cop. Obviously, these two were up to no good riding without plates, then assaulting an ociffer.

The point that seems to have gotten by, is that the cops have no reason, or right to pull over law abiding motorcyclists and harrass them repeatedly.

There have been multiple cases of car drivers assaulting officers, and they do not pull over every car and harrass them.

I think this is just a case of the police waving their d*cks because they can get away with it when dealing with motorcyclists. The thought process involved, thinking it would be logical that someone is going to ride for whatever reason without a license plate, assault a cop, then go home and put his plate back on then return to the same road is assinine.

Assuming that just because you are on a bike means that you may know these two is also not justifiable in law.

Even if the cops were just pulling over bikers to ask if they had seen the bikes in question is a violation of our rights.

I lived in the SF bay area for ten years, and I was never pulled unless I deserved it. I hope you guys getting harrassed down south let someone know of your displeasure.

floundericiousFL 03-12-2001 05:04 PM

*watches the applause/laugh meter splutter and die.....ooooh so sorry, not enough for the cage! :P

at least you tried dude

BlownAwayIG 03-12-2001 07:37 PM

I love to ride. Been to and done Ortega Highway. But as many times as I've been to Ortega Highway, I leave there with a sense that I should've been there and tempted fate. Any one who has been there has seen the remnants of plastic all over the road side and down the hills. Heck I remember seeing bikes left in the gullies and canyons for days after someone got off. It's one thing to see tire marks left on the road, but it's another to see flesh, bone and blood marks on the pavement. The CHP has a pretty thankless job as it is, let alone having to deal with the Over grown Brats on Ortega Highway. And I have a friend who is a CHP Officer and has done patrol duty on Ortega. He's seen pretty much all of it there, well with the acception of this unfortunate injured officer. His answer is to close it to bikes and touring car racer wannabees. His idea is to turn it into a Controlled access road with Toll types boothes and each end. He's seen too many injuries and deaths for no reason. I'm beginning to agree, I've been too close one too many times and whether it was my stupidity or someone elses, it was one too many. Hey Willow Springs is open to those who want take the time and do it right and safe and most of all LEGAL.

I realize this didn't have much to do with the officer's incident, but would it not be for the fact that Ortega Highway is a specific target area, this officer might not have been in the situation he got injured in.

And as for the that did this, alot of wannabee knee draggers, take the plates off their bikes so Identification is harder if they are able to get away. The officer I know said that he would rather get a "PLATE #" and break off one on one pursuit than risk the suspect, himself and more than likely an innocent bystander from being injured or killed. That area is a high visability area for sport bikers and cruisers and is not a great place to be seen with a stolen bike.

My best wishes to the Officer who was injured and my thanks for him being on the job.

BlownAwayIG 03-12-2001 07:43 PM

I love to ride. Been to and done Ortega Highway. But as many times as I've been to Ortega Highway, I leave there with a sense that I should not have been there and tempted fate. Any one who has been there has seen the remnants of plastic all over the road side and down the hills. Heck I remember seeing bikes left in the gullies and canyons for days after someone got off. It's one thing to see tire marks left on the road, but it's another to see flesh, bone and blood marks on the pavement. The CHP has a pretty thankless job as it is, let alone having to deal with the Over grown Brats on Ortega Highway. And I have a friend who is a CHP Officer and has done patrol duty on Ortega. He's seen pretty much all of it there, well with the acception of this unfortunate injured officer. His answer is to close it to bikes and touring car racer wannabees. His idea is to turn it into a Controlled access road with Toll types boothes and each end. He's seen too many injuries and deaths for no reason. I'm beginning to agree, I've been too close one too many times and whether it was my stupidity or someone elses, it was one too many. Hey Willow Springs is open to those who want take the time and do it right and safe and most of all LEGAL.

I realize this didn't have much to do with the officer's incident, but would it not be for the fact that Ortega Highway is a specific target area, this officer might not have been in the situation he got injured in.

And as for the that did this, alot of wannabee knee draggers, take the plates off their bikes so Identification is harder if they are able to get away. The officer I know said that he would rather get a "PLATE #" and break off one on one pursuit than risk the suspect, himself and more than likely an innocent bystander from being injured or killed. That area is a high visability area for sport bikers and cruisers and is not a great place to be seen with a stolen bike.

My best wishes to the Officer who was injured and my thanks for him being on the job.

TCAir 03-12-2001 10:59 PM

GUYS!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH MOST OF YOU PEOPLE??? I keep reading things about "the right to pull over bikers and question them", "what did the officer do to provoke the attack," and "shouldn't have let himself be that vulnerable." I know that as bikers we tend to break local traffic laws, mostly for fun. I do not like getting tickets, as I know no one does, but this man was beaten for doing a job that very few people want or could handle. I am not a cop but I admire them for putting up with some of the crap that they do.

The crooked ones should be brought down, the good ones should be rewarded. Don't stereo type them as being all jerks like we are being stereo typed as being bad people for riding.

The reason they are stopping bikers on the road is most motorcyclists are teritorial and run with specific riding budies. (We all have riding budies and favorite roads.) They are profiling. It is a very effective way to help run down clues.

If there are any riders in the region please help these jerks get caught. Ask questions and turn in any info you come across. Please, for the benefit of the sport.

norihaga 03-13-2001 12:59 AM

Too right...same crap happened to me out here in Mass. Some guy on a black or purple ZX-6, in a cloth jacket and a pair of cargo pants passes me doing a runner at about 150 through traffic. I'm on a red gsx-r, wearing full leathers.

15 miles up the road, I'm sitting in traffic, and this green Pontiac porkmobile turns on his lights about 3 meters behind me. I'm doing 55 and everyone else is doing the same, or faster.

First thing he does is tell me how I was "really flying back there", "weaving in between lanes" - I had just changed lane because the highway divided a mile ahead. As you can imagine, I was very confused, given that I hadn't done anything like that.

This moron keeps me sitting there for, I sh** you not, a full 40 minutes, while sitting in his car. He then tries to hand me a citation for failing to stop for a police officer back the highway I'd just come from.

It hadn't occurred to why he'd kept me waiting until then...these jokers can't tell one bike from another. The first bike he sees, he pulls it over, tries to pin a pretty serious charge on me. I had to explain to him the difference between a ZX-6 and a gsx-r.

In the end he relented. But how glad am I it wasn't the drug squad out to grow their arrest record.

Cops on traffic duty here are nothing more than goons with guns. I've never seen anyone stopped for actually dangerous behavior. When was the last time that guy tailgating you while applying makeup/talking to kids in backseat in the middle of a monsoon got pulled?

If they were doing actual police work, they'd be productive members of society. But at least around here the police force seems to be a form of outdoor relief for people with a petty-tyrant complex. The first order of business for any police force around here is a radar gun and a book of tickets. Then they pull you over and threaten you for the classic going 35 in a 30 zone, along an empty non-residential street.

For this they expect respect?

FLSTF 03-13-2001 01:52 AM

I sincerely hope that by stating that you are a "sport biking" community, you are not one of "those" people! If you are throwing off on cruiser riders because you prefer a different style of bike, then you are perpetuating the type of intolerance that gave this article it's subject matter. If you were not then never mind. I completely agree that this behaviour is irreprehensible and should not be shrugged off. I just would truly love to see folks from our own community, motorcyclist, quit driving intolerance and division into our ranks.

hindle 03-13-2001 02:46 AM

I didn't see anything about the plateless bikes. It simply says lots of people complained about getting pullled over the same day a CHP officer was beaten by a couple of riders.

I had to read through some of the comments to find out that the police officer pulled over two bikes that didn't have plates and were most likely stolen.

So go easy on the others that are asking what the cop did to provoke the attack. The probably don't realize he was just doing his job and was probably about to recover two stolen bikes.

RobGixxer750 03-13-2001 03:02 AM

Ninjas

Anyone ever notice Ninja's are like the number one most stolen bike? They're also the first ones to get chromed, polished, etc. They're like the sportbike for those people who wish they had cars that would go 160, not even motorcyclists hardly.

Ok, now I'm generalizing, but that's how I feel about "pimped out" Ninja's and those kinds of bikes in general.

Rob

stevegrab 03-13-2001 03:34 AM

You guys need to step down from your soapboxes and look at reality. Bikes are a minority, and to the polices as well as others, one sport bike looks pretty much like the rest. They may not have a good description, or be able to distinguish the colors.

This is the same as when something happens, and they say, "the vehicle was a late model blue convertible" so the police are out stopping any blue convertible they come across to check them out.

I may not agree with this. In my area (Cleveland/Akron Ohio) we have these lunatic StarBoyz who go out riding ultra-fast ont the expressway, doing stunts and stuff. I've had some of my riding friends tell me they were stopped in some areas because the cops thought they might be one of these guys.

happens, we may not agree with it (I'm sure the AMA would be making a big fuss if riders rights rights were really being infringed) but to come into this forum and blame the police (that moron asking what he did to provoke the attack) or say that they don't do any good is a pile of crap. I sincerely hope both of you need the aid of the police some day, and they just spit in your face.

stevegrab 03-13-2001 03:38 AM

Sure maybe some facts were missing (the plateless part), but why should we take it easy on these people posting stupid comments? They are the ones that are making assumptions. That the riders did nothing, that the cop did provoke the attack, or was not following procedure (that guy really takes the cake).

Like other posters have said, none of like to get tickets. And yes, sometimes the police are harassing us (only pulled over because we look like a bunch or Ricky Racers). But to come out and claim that is what's going on here, without the facts is careless.

LoganGixY2K 03-13-2001 04:23 AM

Used to be stationed at March AFB and went thru Ortega Highway several times and as a rider I would hate to see it closed to sport bikes/cars.

This will definately not resolve the problem. I call it "the Napster syndrome" Thinking that by closing a highway the freak incidents and accidents will decrease.

I do a lot of extreme riding on the highway, but before I do, I make sure I'm NOT endangering other peoples lifes. Track days are good if you can afford them and if you have a track close to you.

But as for me, I'm not willing to travel 200mi every weekend to ride my bike. Besides, CHP here are real cool when it comes to sportbike riders.

Again, "... a few bad apples should NOT spoil the rest of the basket..."

NickdaBrick 03-13-2001 04:31 AM

The bikes were probably stolen,

you brain donor. In any event, I hope the cops catch the perps, give them the Rodney King treatment, throw on some pepper spray, and lock 'em up until they rot. People who steal bikes and ambush cops should be chopped up for dog meat.

john 03-13-2001 04:47 AM

itsmygixer-

Although i would be willing to bet my money that these idiots in particular were either riding stolen bikes, or riding without plates to avoid identification like someone suggested above, you seem to be as one sided as magneto, who you TWICE took time to bash for expressing an opinion other than your own.

Now, as i said above, i believe that this officer was doing his job well from the little description i have of the incident. He did nothing to provoke a physical confrontation with these people.

That said, i think magneto has a valid point. Too many times at parties and other places frequently visited by officers, an officer will come in with a "i'm gonna bust your head in and throw you in jail after" attitude, that anybody would feel threatened by. Do you believe an officer has the right to strike some one to prove a point? Do you believe an officer has the right to make an example of someone? Officers are not above the law; they enforce it, but they still have to abide by it.

All i am saying is that from reading your posts, there was a definite "he was a cop, so he must have been doing the right thing, because i got pulled over once and the officer was a real swell guy" vibe off of your message. I would just like to make a comment to you, which is that the real world ain't always like that, and there are good cops and bad cops, good doctors and bad doctors, good garbagemen, and bad garbagemen. Just because someone is a cop does not mean they are inherently a good person, nor does it mean they are inclined to do the right thing.

LoganGixY2K 03-13-2001 04:51 AM

Come on!!! We've never seen cops on TV showing any wrong doing!!!

Specially here in Souther California.

Not everything in life is black and white.

Nevertheless, I do truly feel sorry for this officer and with the information we have in this case, there is no doubt that the officer was doing his job.

Now, I would not worry about these two bike riders, their actions only show that their lifespan will be a very short one.

Ride & Let Ride... Peace