Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-14-2001, 04:33 PM   #81
yzfrider
Founding Member

Default Re: Weekend Madness on Ortega Highway

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/25470.shtml

check this link out for the OTHER side of the stroy... or another story.
yzfrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2001, 08:00 PM   #82
BammBamm
Founding Member

I did not state that I obey the law 100% of the time. While in town, or even on high traffic freeways I obey the law. According to your last statements you ride at 80 to 95 miles per hour on the freeways 90% of the time. If you are the tail end charlie of your group, you should all think twice about your pace. Perhaps you should all look into your local race track. I guarantee you the first time you have to scrape one of your buddies of the pavement, or out of someones grill, you will feel different. It was the other guys fault doesn't sound so good when you have a hood ornament in your spleen.

My reaction to your post was due to your apparent belief that cops have "every right to stop sportbikes and investigate". They do not.

If you are breaking the law, they do. If you match a specific description, they do. If there is only a general description of a "sportbike", they do not.

If you are willing to get stopped and questioned for no discernable reason, good for you. I don't think that should be a natural consequence of riding a bike.
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 09:28 PM   #83
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

This topic isn't about having to give up something, it's about having something taken away. And ANYONE will get mad when you try to take something away from them. I could give a bunch of examples, but it's a waste of time, you get the idea. It's not about 'right to ride' or anything like that. It's about a road that links a remote area to where I live. If people want to wreck bikes on it, I still want to ride out to Elsinore and check out the view, or hang out with my friend out there. Just like truckers want to plod along in the right lane on the interstate, whether people are getting hit by trucks or not.
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 03:27 AM   #84
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: It must be a short one...

With the two weeks of good weather you guys get in Minneapolis for riding I would think you would be a bit more careful of any police presence Abe. Have you ever heard of license suspension ? I think that should make you care about how many tickets you get. I think you're paranoia level is quite high too. It's too bad that people b!tch about the cops being out to get sportbikes and in the same breath hope that they would be close by when you need them for a real emergency. It is a job that they have to do ya' know. I've been cut slack by several cops in the past but I also realize that when I get a ticket for speeding I deserved it. Take a defensive driving course after the ticket to drop the points if you're that worried about your insurance rates or shop around to find cheaper and more forgiving insurance companies.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 05:11 AM   #85
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

I'm glad someone has pointed out that there are all sorts out there. I have seen both extremes as well, so I try not to jump to conclusions about cops. There was the one trooper who gave me a ticket for someone else's riding (did not know the color of the bike he originally saw and identified me as having been in one lane while I was three away), and lied in court to make sure it would stick. Another friend was taken to jail after a sweep of a street racing location (we were not racing, just passing through on a night's ride and not breaking any traffic laws).

But there have also been times when they let me go with a warning or even helped me out in some way(as in the previous post). I believe that a lot of traffic laws are ridiculous, unfair, and blatant revenue generators, but I also believe that most cops try to balance that with a genuine desire to help us be safe.
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 05:32 AM   #86
panthercity
Founding Member

The OTHER side of the story? Heck, this is the OTHER side of the country! Your story is from Tennessee, the story that's being discussed here is from California.

I agree that this Tennessee cop needs to be locked up for what he did, but it has NOTHING to do with the California cop!
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 10:43 AM   #87
das
Founding Member

Thanks. It's always nice to hear that someone else out there thinks you're making some kind of sense.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 05:57 PM   #88
4in6
Founding Member

If people think the Ortega Highway is bad try Palomar Mountain about an hour south of the Ortega off of I 15. The pavements better the turns are better and the risk of flying off a cliff and bite'n the bullet is about ten time higher and try getting a soccer mom in a Ford Explorer to pull over and let you buy. Not to mention people there hate riders so bad that they pour oil and transmission fluid on the ground. Some b-tch in an suv was drunk and backed her suv up and knocked over four bikes. When the cops showed up she started whinning about how the people on motorcycles terrorize the people that live up there. I have drug knee on both and I can tell you that the people on the Ortega Highway are alot more considerate and safe. I have seen tons of people dump bikes on Palomar and out of the fifty or so times I have been on the Ortega I have yet to see a crash.
4in6 is offline   Reply With Quote