Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 10-01-2006, 08:03 AM   #1
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Aussies Kick Cigs Out of All Sports Advertising.

Soon, it won't be legal to have ANY vice - even in one's own home.

All in the name of "Public Safety".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
stlarson
Registered Member

I'm hoping that smoking is just outlawed entirely here in the US, creating a new era of speakeasies and a fresh black market. It continues to amaze me that we learned nothing from prohibition but I'll happily accept the opportunity to become stinking rich thanks to lobbyists, corrupt politicians, and the people who want to turn us into a nanny nation.

The next person who says to me, 'think of the children,' is getting punched in the kidney.
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
schizuki
Founding Member

It's for our own good. After I turned 18 I was worried about having responsibilities and not having anybody to take care of me and tell me what (not) to do. Luckily the government is ready to be my mommy.

I especially like those "Truth" commercials against smoking. Sure, they lie, but when you lie for people's own good, it's like the truth, right?

I'm carrying an extra 25 pounds. I wish the government would do something about those evil, greedy fast food corporations.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
schizuki
Founding Member

Stuff like this makes me want to buy an older Suzuki sportbike and give it a Lucky Strike paint job.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Just wait until cigarettes are banned. Joe and Mary Middleclass won't be so happy when they get the tax bill.

Cigarettes bring in billions to the govt. The govt is the biggest profit maker from cigarettes (and liquor and gasoline, BTW).... the biggest by orders of magnitude. Just who do you think is going to pay all those taxes?

Heh heh.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
itchface
Founding Member

Ahhhhh... cigarettes. Where to start?

Harder to kick than heroine, it is now common knowledge that for decades tobacco companies manipulated their product in such a way as to best ensure that their customers are customers for life, however abbreviated that might be, no matter what the economic and health consequences.

This is an industry that's grown phenomenally wealthy by working to suppress any evidence that their products are injurious to our health and, when it became obvious that they were full of s.h.i.t., heavily promoted "light" cigarette's to their addicts as a more healthful alternative. They knew then what is common knowledge today; there is no such thing as a "light" cigarette as a relates to the long-term health effects of the user. But this farce would help ensure that addicts would be less likely to quit and would continue to make cigarette peddlers obscene amounts of money.

These are the folks who have specifically targeted children in their ad campaigns to make sure that there will always be fresh generations of addicts to sell their poison to.

Who, when they realized that their gig is up in developed countries and that sales were certain to decline, stepped up their advertising in third world countries. How could they lose? An ill-informed populace governed by greedy, corrupt azzwipes who line their pockets with bribes proffered up by tobacco companies... no siree, no "nanny state" to worry about there!

In case you're wondering, I applaud Australia's move to kick tobacco advertising money out of motorsports. Big name racers have a tremendous influence on younger fans. The evidence? Simple, really; tobacco companies wouldn't be tossing millions into a sport if they didn't think there would be a bigtime return on investment. They may be evil sonzo'beaches, but they ain't dumb when it comes to making money.

If motorcycle roadracing is as addicted to tobacco company sponsorship as the addicts of the end product are, then there is a need for the sport to chew some Nicorette, do the right thing and quit making deals with the devil. The sport will stand on its own, I am certain.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
schizuki
Founding Member

"Harder to kick than heroine [sic]"

Starting your argument off with such a tremendous load of unmitigated bullsh!t tends to render the remainder of your argument moot.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
schizuki
Founding Member

"Just wait until cigarettes are banned."

They won't be, because...

"Cigarettes bring in billions to the govt."

Old 10-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Great rebuttal.....
Old 10-01-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah. And it makes a great election year issue. That elected crook who's been racking the swag off the top to pay off his buddies and relatives gets to climb up on his moral high horse and wag his finger. Few things are more disgusting than elected officials pretending to be caring and moral.

And the idiots fall for it!