Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-08-2001, 07:14 PM   #1
RobM
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Oatmeal

Yeah, but the Laptop from work that I use (afterhours, of course) changes. I enable cookies, but don't want everyone else that I share puters with the benefit of my money. If I log out, then on a diff. puter log back in, will you then tell me that I am trying to rort the system by giving my login details to someone else?
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2001, 07:23 PM   #2
blip
Founding Member

Wow, you lost me.

When you want to logout, you can do so by hitting the "Exit" button in our account at /user.motml, or just bookmark:

http://news.motorcycle.com/delcookie.motml

That'll delete all MO cookies.

Then, everyone will be an Anonymous Squid on the machine you just left, and you're free to login anywhere else, and the login database knows that you've paid.

You'll start seeing leftboxes, like the Who's Online one, that only paid MOians can see.

Be carefull that you don't leave more than two machines logged in with the same name, it'll set off the stolen password alarms.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 07:24 PM   #3
blip
Founding Member

You're other right!

Just kidding.

Did I say right? I meant left. Sorry, been a long morning/day/night.

We're gonna ad some comedy to the message, and make it randomly change...
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 03:40 AM   #4
rooster
Founding Member

I've donated, but I don't see the confirmation (left or right). Also, it appears that the skins/styles for customizing the page visuals aren't working.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 03:46 AM   #5
rooster
Founding Member

Duh, I logged out and then logged back in - now it is there.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 04:27 AM   #6
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

I must say I am somewhat disappointed by this article. I read the headline and thought, "Wow! Motorcycle Online is going to make money by franchising its name to a line of hot cereals, and won't become a fee site after all!" Alas, it was not to be. Well, maybe I'll get around to donating something one of these days.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 04:48 AM   #7
mwyoung
Founding Member

As one of the biggest opponents of charging for the site, I'm happy to say that this proposal sounds great, and you'll get my donation soon. Thanks for thinking through this issue and coming up with a reasonable solution.
mwyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 05:13 AM   #8
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default IMHO you should make some accomodation to...

registered readers who have actually *bought* something from one of your advertisers thanks to MO linking them up (e.g., at least a discount on any fee required to become a member with full privileges). I am now the proud owner of a new helmet at a better price than I could get locally thanks to MO.

To take your speculation one step further, 150 readers who actually *buy* things from your advertisers are worth more to them than 150 million who don't!
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 06:10 AM   #9
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Methinks you'd better put an "Exit" (or "Logout") button on every page, so people don't have to go hunting for it. Or at least a link to the "user" page.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 06:16 AM   #10
wwalkersd
Founding Member

OK, I know on the news pages you've got the little "Main Menu", buried on the left under the long list of "Who's Online", that has a "Your MO account" link (which takes one to the /user.motml page you mentioned). I mean you need something on all the article pages, right up top. Make it a big, obvious button to remind people that they should log out.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote