Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-09-2001, 06:44 AM   #11
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Oatmeal

Hmmm... how about a RightBox for donators that has a button to change your password (a common request) and another to logout, and another to try and request live help from whichever MO staffer is online at that time -- another big request, or rather, complaint that we're too hard to find a published e-mail address, which we do on purpose since we get so much e-mail. I guess paying readers get to the top of the attention heap!
blip is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2001, 06:46 AM   #12
blip
Founding Member

I was going to make the first sentence "No, we're not hawking Girl Scout Cookies (yet) to raise revenues..."

Be we're getting hammered with flames so much lately, I'm losing my sense of humor...
Old 03-09-2001, 07:10 AM   #13
ZRX007
Founding Member

I've considered donating, but every time I try to access the donation screen, I get ... "The page cannot be displayed" screen of death !
Old 03-09-2001, 07:30 AM   #14
stevegrab
Founding Member

Two questions

1) Are you saying that if we want to access the site from a PC at home, as well as at work, that we have to make sure we logoff from our machine at work, otherwise we won't be able to log in from home? (Or we'll set off the the stolen password alarm.) Is this something that can be triggered automatically. I don't actually go through the login, probably because I have the cookie, so how am I supposed to remember to log out?

2) Regarding the moderation of messages, I think this is a good idea. But I have to say, if I'm registered, donated, paid, subscribed (whatever), and I suddenly can't post because some group of moderators may not have agreed with my comments, I'll be pretty upset. Of course, maybe with a smaller audience, I won't be flaming some of the less friendly/knowledgable users.

PS I've never accessed the site as a registered user from my home PC because I couldn't remember my password. I'll be trying that today (without logging off from work) to see what it does.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 08:01 AM   #15
blip
Founding Member

I know I didn't explain it well last night, it was late and I was tired...

Anyway, in answer to #1) No. It'll be checking for more than two _active sessions_ with a TTL of 17 minutes. That is, if you're on at home and it takes you more than 17 minutes to get to work, your old session is "inactive" even though you're still logged in. The difference is between active use (sessions) and maintaining information, (cookies), the latter are really a mechanism for maintaining state, such as your username and post viewing preferences so you're "recognized" by the system. What we're probably going to do, unless someone has a better suggestion, is allow each user account no more than two active sessions. This is needed because you might walk from one computer to your co-workers and login there (or from home to the library, etc), and if we didn't allow more than one, you'd be locked out. And really pissed off, I'd think.

The need for this is because of rampant password sharing amongst people that don't wanna pay their share. On the other hand, why shouldn't your wife/kids be able to view MO from your account at home while you're at work? If you want them to be able to, leave it logged in and they can, or logout and they can't. Kinda like leaving National Geographic on the coffee table for the kids, and hiding Playboy in the broom closet.

2) Steve, you have to be moderated down to -1 several times to get the Troll ranking, which is several different people moderating you _down_ twice. I wouldn't worry about it, most posts are going to get moderated up. The only posts that we tend to moderate down (and we do do some, look at the last Pay Now... debate with threshold of -1, which you can set above the posts) are those that make personal attacks or are so far off-base and just plain stupid that they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Lastly, when logged in, look at the bottom of the top left "Who's Online" box for a link to change your password. If you're logged in, you don't need to remember/know your old password to change it.
Old 03-09-2001, 08:03 AM   #16
blip
Founding Member

Are you getting a key error? We use a 128-bit encrypted key, older browswers only support 40-bit.

We'll sign up a different server certificate that's only 40-bit. Stay tuned...
Old 03-09-2001, 10:06 AM   #17
stevegrab
Founding Member

Thanks again for the comments. I may be waiting for then simpler 40 bit encryption server thing to be active so that I can donate. Otherwise I got to do the IE update first, and I just hate doing those.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 01:56 PM   #18
caderider
Registered Member

Hey! I donated via the Amazon site a couple weeks ago, and I don't see the "Thanks for donating" confirmation. Am I mortally blind? I hope not, as that would be bad while I'm in the wind.

Brian
Old 03-09-2001, 02:34 PM   #19
blip
Founding Member

Fixed. Amazon wasn't talking to the MO User DB, so we have to do them manually.
Old 03-09-2001, 04:10 PM   #20
caderider
Registered Member

Alright! Thanks for the help.

B