Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Oops

It's gotta be true. It's a Canadian source.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #12
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Oddly enough, I had just finished pontificating on the most recent 'who's the worst rider' flame war, and mentioned among the slices of the total motorcycle accident pie, there were a few who were just put in an impossible situation, and a few who should have known better. We've probably all been there and done that, if we are honest with ourselves. My prayers go out to those who love him.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #13
Aero_Doc
Registered Member

I've been riding for about 18yrs and recently my 23 yo cousin wants to learn to ride. He currently believes their isnt much difference between riding a bike and drving a car. Neway, when he passes his license I will be giving him lots of accumulated knowledge and techniques to keep him safe. This past week I've noticed a presence of arrogance in my riding, probably cos I have fallen into the trap of "if I can teach someone, Im too good to fu*k up myself". A sobering story that has turned me from being an omniscient teacher back into just a guide. Physics is still physics.....
Old 09-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
stlarson
Registered Member

Sensationalism sells. News is all about beating on the hornets nest of public opinion.
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:32 PM   #15
stlarson
Registered Member

Unfortunately the best way to learn most things is to have practical experience with them, which means having something go wrong or preferably in the case of a motorcycle, almost go wrong. Droning in a straight line or through a lazy set of slow curves has yet to teach me anything. Having the situation get a little squirrelly, those are the situations which tend to further my knowledge.

It would be great to be able to generate those kinds of things in a semi-controlled manner. I think the first level MSF course would be a lot more useful if time was spent keeping the riders figuratively off balance in order to hopefully generate a mindset where you don't relax your guard.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #16
squidwardo
Founding Member

I just don't understand the need to sensationalize the whole ordeal. If he were a driving instructor, and wrapped his car around a telephone pole, I doubt there would be a mention. I think there are certain activities, motorcycling being one of them, where people want to hear about us getting hurt (or worse). That way they can all sit around, and go, "yes, see, they are dangerous!"

By the way, isn't the CBR1000 a naked bike in Europe and Canada? In 2001, wasn't the "high powered sport bike, capable of speeds close to 200MPH" a 929?

squidwardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #17
acecycleins
Founding Member

the EU refers to the bike as a cb1000f and they bumped the cc to 1300 about 3 or 3 years ago.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #18
Gluge
Registered Member

it's called a dirt bike - it generates squirrelly feelings in a semi-controled manner.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #19
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

One of the things that seems to hardest to communicate to people is that the only kinds of riders there are are those who have been down and those who are going to be.

In the dirt, it's a given, that's why stuff is so hard to break on a dirt bike, or at least easily replaced. But it's the same deal on pavement. You WILL get the opportunity to test your safety equipment, if you ride long enough.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #20
stlarson
Registered Member

I haven't been able to relate a whole lot from my time spent with off-road dirt bikes to on-road sport bikes. They behave differently, use a different style of riding, and the situations you find yourself in are very different. All that time spent on dirt bikes years ago is useful on a low level though. I've not crashed out on pavement (yet) but have done so on the dirt and imagine it's the better place to do so when learning the basic concepts.

I suppose in the very least giving yourself a heart attack on a dirt bike can prepare you to some degree for such a feeling on the road.