Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-07-2001, 10:31 AM   #1
HankMurphy
Founding Member

Default Re: Help Protest for Rider Safety

Good for you, Mike, and all those who participate.

But, since many people can't take the time off work/school/their catatonic state of existence, there are two other things which may be useful alternatives for those who did not or could not attend.

1. Write the station manager. Pen and paper. Keep it polite and clean. A dozen letters have a greater impact than 100 e-mails sometimes.

2. Write or call the sponsors of this pair's time slots. I think there are some laws about boycotts, so don't use that word. But indicate that you are concerned that the company is sponsoring this pair. Since I am not a DoBA (Denizen of Bay Area), I don't know who the sponsors are, but perhaps some Bay Area readers can pass this information on?

Oh yes, first post. On another important story. That seems to be ignored. Again.

Oh yes, first post.
HankMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2001, 10:51 AM   #2
Poser
Founding Member

The nonsense propogated by those DJs is the same kind of "humor" that shock jocks seem to rely upon. It also reminds us that riders are a small minority and that we must stick together to collectively defend ourselves.

I am also a daily rider- why should the commute be a dull waste of time in a gas guzzling cage- but live in Seattle, a bit far away to make the protest.

As a follow up to this protest, we should collectively organize similar demonstrations that we exist everywhere in the country and cannot be targeted for abuse or neglegent destruction. National Ride to Work Day (see www.ridetowork.com) is a start.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 11:10 AM   #3
Durandel
Founding Member

Default We're all in a heap of trouble now!

This guy must have been listening to those radio DJ's!!!

http://www.amasuperbike.com/barbermowdown.htm

Roland
Durandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 11:26 AM   #4
bushman45
Founding Member

There seems to be a lot of "kidding around" here lately that causes a lot of grief for a lot of people, including the kid in Santee that was perceived as "kidding" when he talked about brining a gun to school. Radio personalities love to "shock" but when it goes to endangering life and health of innocent people like saying "run over bikers", it goes too far. There are just enough crazies out there that take what these idiot DJ's say as truth.

However, on the other side of the coin, I have always been amazed in my travels to California that they do indeed allow lane sharing, and more than once, I've almost wiped out a biker passing me about 3 inches from my door....and I am a lot more aware of other bikers in my surroundings than a lot of non-bikers out there.

I come from a state that does NOT allow lane sharing and in fact, we are taught to "protect our lane" from cars because a lot of numb-nuts car drivers like to try to pull up next to you in your lane and crowd you out. It's happened to me more than once.

Frankly I'm opposed to lane sharing and feel that it increases risk to bikers. I wouldn't lane share even in states that allow it.....much like I would tend to wear a helmet even in states that say I don't have to. Motorcycling by it's nature is "risky business", but I think it's the rider's responsibility to realize that sharing that risk is not a 50/50 split between himself and the car driver.....it falls pretty squarely on the biker's shoulders. The best advice I can give is to always assume you are the invisible man out there and never trust a car driver to look out for you.

Just my $.02 worth.

Tony F
bushman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 12:23 PM   #5
john
Founding Member

Default Re: We

lol, thats too funny. Just the idea that someone would. I hope no one takes offense to me finding it funny, except maybe some of the people hit. I could understand that.

But, I think its kinda funny how most people could care less when people with dissimilar interests get hurt, and then they take it all personally when it finally comes back their way. I mean, i would be pretty pissed too if a bunch of damn bikers (pedal-power included) were making it a pain for me to get to work. But he was drunk, that might have had more than a little to do with his poor judgement.

As for those DJ's, i want to find out if they have family, and harrass their family until it gets so bad that they have to come on the air and beg forgiveness before their wives divorce them and run off with the kids. That might almost be just punishment for telling people to run over bikers.
Old 03-07-2001, 12:25 PM   #6
john
Founding Member

Default Re: We

Oh, by the way, i was reffering to the link to the article listed above.

MO, it would be nice if ya'll had some way to include an edit option for posts, i think that would be an easy way to clear up many of the misunderstandings that the board sometimes has.

and, when ya go pay, ya got my money
Old 03-07-2001, 12:31 PM   #7
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Tony, We are "taught" to protect our lane here in California too, for the same reason. Lane splitting IS legal here, and I do it, and yes, there are additional risks... but DJ's advocating murder need to be charged with a crime, not suspended for two weeks.
Old 03-07-2001, 12:38 PM   #8
gerrygrande
Founding Member

DJ use to mean something when they were spinning records.

But in this case it stands for Dumdass Jerks!

If I lived in SF I'd picket with ya.
gerrygrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 12:41 PM   #9
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I used to listen to KSJO quite a bit. Then they lost their repeater in San Francisco to a spanish-music station (FCC thing, apparently) and I stopped listening. Now I'm glad I did. I'll be at the protest on Monday. I'll have to take off from work a couple of hours early, but WTF? It's worth it.
Old 03-07-2001, 12:56 PM   #10
wwalkersd
Founding Member

"I'm going to hit a few DMV's beforehand if possible and ask for several DMV motorcycle handbooks. If anyone feels like helping out that'd be great as well."

If you can't find enough copies, you can print your own, since the book is available as a PDF file from the DMV website, here: California Motorcycle Handbook 2000.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote