Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-07-2001, 03:09 PM   #11
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Lane sharing....

I think a protest is a great idea. I commute on my bike regularly, and would appreciate more respect from car drivers, not less. I often share lanes in rush hour and would definitely enjoy a more-educated public.

However, be forewarned that the CA Motorcycle Handbook clearly states that while lane-sharing is not illegal, it is often unsafe. While it does acknowledge legality, the handbook clearly discourages the practice.

Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2001, 03:09 PM   #12
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: Help Protest for Rider Safety

WOAH!!!!! Charged with a crime??!!!! I'm all for letting these DJ's and their sponsors know I'm not to keen on being run over, but isn't that a little overboard? How many bicyclist's/motorcyclists have been deliberatley run over in the Bay Area since that spot ran?? Do you want these guys to be thrown in jail?!!! What's the charge, bad taste? Poor humor? Last I knew that wasn't against the law. I always see people in these bulliten boards saying things about protecting rights and everyone is entitled to an opinion. So where's that understanding know when the tables are turned?? I think these DJ's are idiots, but that's the kind of stupid stiff 'shock jocks' come up with. It's so absurd it's funny. But I have almost been run over several times, and once the guy WAS aming for me so I don't see the humor, nor do most motorcyclists. But don't let some idiots make you get angry, the world's full of them.

justmy $.02

thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 05:41 PM   #13
Zionist
Founding Member

If a cyclist gets run over in the broadcast area those radio personalities should be held responsible. Maybe the local Hell's Angels should have a talk with them about promoting traffic safety
Zionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 06:21 PM   #14
rat
Founding Member

Default KSJO needs to be shut down

I used to listen to KSJO because they play hard rock.

Their DJs are unbelievable though.

I would characterize them as 13 year old

Howard Stern wanna-be's on steroids.

They have a Valentines day Bikini contest for

pregnant women (great concept, sickening execution).

They are virulently hostile to anybody or

anything slightly left of center.

They celebrate teenage self-righteousness.

They try to engage any female callers into

immensely putrid and degrading sexual

conversations.

I'd be all for boycotting them or their sponsors,

but it would involve going through the

stultifying process of actually listening to that

10000 lb thrust sewage plant ramjet.

I guess there are a lot of

web monkeys in San Jose that really

like that . If any of them ride,

I hope they decide to make a long overdue switch

to any of the 3 other hard-rock stations in the

Bay Area.

rat
rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 06:35 PM   #15
dnrcycl
Founding Member

Default Re: Lane sharing....

Maybe it would be better to print the section of vehicle code that states that lane sharing is legal.
dnrcycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 06:43 PM   #16
CrashMSN
Founding Member

Default Two weeks..???

Guess again.. They were back on the air the FOLLOWING MONDAY... It was only a ONE WEEK suspension..

Unless of course the station was running those two clowns on tape the following week to fill in the slot..
CrashMSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 08:08 PM   #17
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

This is a good point that the DMV handbook is prob-ly not the greatest tool to pass out to people, since it HIGHLY dicourages lane sharing right after saying it's not illegal.
Old 03-07-2001, 08:13 PM   #18
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

There's a problem though with passing out the vehicle code that says lane sharing is legal, because as far as I know, there isn't one. Lane sharing is not legal. It's just that there is no clear law stating that it's illegal. Unsafe movment, improper passing, or reckless operation can all be used as charges, but since it's socilly acceptable you'd have a hard time in court (unless you're obviously reckless). But I'm almost positive there is no law making it legal, it's just that there's no laws making it ilegal.
Old 03-07-2001, 10:16 PM   #19
lanesplitter
Founding Member

Tony

I have a 60 mile one way commute every day rain or shine on some of the bay areas most congested freeways. I have been doing this safely for many years. It has gotten to where lanesplitting is the only time I feel safe anymore.

You see when you are splitting you are in control,when you are in a lane any damn fool can and will rear end you. This will ruin your day very quickly.
lanesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 06:38 AM   #20
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Actually... Inciting somebody to commit a crime IS a crime. I didn't say I wanted them thrown in jail, that's something for a jury of their peers to decide, but they SHOULD be charged. They are public figures, and whether or not anybody actually ran over a bicyclist or motorcyclist is irrelevant. It's like parking in the fire lane, even if there's no fire, you still deserve the ticket.