Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-05-2001, 02:38 PM   #1
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: Donate Now, Or Pay Later, Part Duex

OK, I paid $12. Its not a lot. Let me say this; I just got RIF'd from my job last Friday - so every dollar counts.

Philip

ZR-7

PS Where is the Valuebike test?
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2001, 02:41 PM   #2
minime
Founding Member

You mean this Valuebike Shootout we did at the end of December?
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 02:51 PM   #3
Shaft
Founding Member

Get someone with some financial common sense and maybe charge more for advertising or not pay your people so much. If you charge money to view your site, myself along with 98% of MO's fans will leave and the site will be long gone for sure... guaranteed.
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 02:54 PM   #4
starvingstudent
Founding Member

I think he may be referring to the SV650 v ZR7 v M900 review that you hyped a month or so ago. Is that one still in the works, or has it fallen by the wayside?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 03:00 PM   #5
minime
Founding Member

It's not that simple, Shaft. Wish it was.
Old 03-05-2001, 03:01 PM   #6
minime
Founding Member

When we get the new M900, it's a go. But they haven't come to us just yet...

Believe me, we're as anxious as you are.
Old 03-05-2001, 03:07 PM   #7
bimota
Founding Member

Default D@#n You!

Well, you've finally convinced me to send a donation, if only because I see some of my comments got used for the article. It'll take me a day to get off my butt and do it, but look for it.

You know Brent, you could snag donations from people scared of online transactions by having a physical address where they could send checks, money orders, etc.

And for the people that are scared to use their credit cards on the internet: What are you thinking? That no secure site is secure? That there are millions of hackers just waiting to grab your number? Do you even think twice about leaving your credit card with a gas station cashier while you pump gas? Do you worry about calling someplace like LL Bean or any other catalog company? How do you know they're not stealing your number? Get real. You don't even think about it. You just assume that a reputable company like LL Bean or Chevron won't let that happen. The only reason people are scared to use credit cards on the internet is that they don't understand the technology. Unless you know how you card might be stolen on the internet, or why a secure server might be vulnerable assume MO is doing thier best and that it's safe.
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 03:08 PM   #8
POPtart
Founding Member

Can someone please fix the link to the Reader Feedback for the SignetGT tested not so long ago?

Thx. POP
POPtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 03:10 PM   #9
Gabe
Registered Member

Default You are NOT the man who would give his life for his brother

man, "Shaft". You are wrong. How much do you pay a year for motorcycle magazines with half the content of MO?

If you think you can get as much content and timely info from another website, go. You won't find it, however. The other online sites are a joke, with the exception of MotorcycleNews.

You're such a genius at running a profitable website, I suggest you start your own- you obviously know so much!

I can just see the meeting at the MO office: "Do you think we should charge more for advertising?"

"No way! That's way too risky!"

"How about paying our staff less?"

"Forget it! That concept is much too complex for me!"

Do you really think they're not charging the maximum for advertising already? How stupid do you think they are?

Have you ever run a business? Successful business people never, ever pay ONE DIME more than the absolute minumum necessary to function properly. I would have to say that since MO has been profitable for 5 years, it is a success. Name 10 other sites of any kind that have turned a profit for 5 years, if you can.

I, for one, see no problem shelling out 10-15 bucks a year if it will guarantee I get the timely, informative content I have depended on for the last 5 years.

Can't promise more than that, though.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 03:13 PM   #10
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: D@#n You!

Oh yeah, an address to mail checks. Actually, more people mail in checks from our classifieds than use their credit cards.

Duh. Shoulda thought of that. We'll stick our address in there. But how to set the yearlong cookie for people so they don't have to see the ads? Right now, everyone, even those that donate, see them 'cause I haven't spruced up the ad server code yet, so I guess it's moot this week. Which will give us time to figure out a solution and look like we're smart and stuff.

We do take online check transfers, I guess we should point that out too.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote