Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-06-2001, 06:10 PM   #81
apostate
Founding Member

Default Honesty

One of the reasons I'm headed off to make my donation goes to Brent's last point. In the past year that I've been reading MO they are the only US publication that I have felt gives an honest opinion on the products they test.

Most of the print publications I get are from the UK because most of the US pubs don't care enough about their readers to give them an accurate, unbiased evaluation of a product. As much as I would like to believe it, I seriously doubt that every bike in the world is the best made, fastest and most comfortable.

If my donation/fee will help MO produce more content I'm more than happy to help and I'm sure my mailman will be able to quit wearing that back brace to deliver my mags every month.

Plus, how many mags can you provide feedback to and be sure that, at the very least, other readers will see it and probably even everyone involved with creating the mag.

Thanks to MO for all of the good work.
apostate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2001, 06:17 PM   #82
Anubis
Founding Member

Default Re: Donate Now, Or Pay Later, Part Duex

What I hate is when people try and state that it is "safe" to input your credit card information over the internet. IT ISN'T!! I don't care what kind of encryption the site is using. The site is not the only place the information is logged. In any case, I have learned my lesson. $15K later (yes, I was able to get the charges refunded, but it took 3 months to do it.) some guy in Korea has a lot of sneaker and CD's at my expense. And they are still trying to get it on my credit history. Thanks, but no thanks.
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 06:58 PM   #83
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: My Reply, Part Duex

Sure I do. But it's a lot easier to search for the info I want online. Though I'll admit it's a little tougher for me to read the results in bed.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 07:05 PM   #84
gt750
Registered Member

Default Re: Another problem

Don't give me the starving student crap! If you have a password such as

"starving student" you obviously ain't a starving student. Geez, how do you afford a motorcycle when you are starving? Sorry, no sympathy from me!
gt750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 07:09 PM   #85
wwalkersd
Founding Member

My wife is the queen of online shopping (and I've got the cardboard boxes to prove it!), and I've done a pretty substantial amount of it myself. The only credit card fraud we've experienced has been the result of a phone order! Deal with reputable companies, and submit only from secure pages (look for the lock icon in the corner), and you shouldn't have a problem. Now, if you've been giving your credit card number to some of those fly-by-night, naughty sights, well....
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 07:18 PM   #86
foobiwan
Founding Member

Default Trying to play both sides doesn

I like MO. I even like it more than twelve bucks.

That being said, I'm not going to donate - If I donate, then find out I'm being charged, others are being charged less, I'm going to feel ripped off.

Two real choices, really:

a) Declare yourself a non-profit, with a 503(c) and everything. Publishyour budget. I'll donate plenty, plus you'll keep your million a year.

b) Go pay. I won't donate a dime, I'll pay if I think the price is fair, and you'll get about 150-200k in ad banners.

Trying to do both at the same time will make everyone mad.
foobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 07:36 PM   #87
quickbrit
Founding Member

Hey Brent, I just wanted to correct a couple of discrepancies... Firstly 2wf.com didn't go bankrupt. They tried to go the magazine route (if you can't beat them, join them) and lost a truck load of monies by going from a low cost web hosting situation to a high cost printing bill. It was a brave move but poorly managed. Under a new editor and ownership, 2wf.com is currently alive and well and growing up without carrying huge overheads. We are concentrating on getting advertisers to pay our bills rather than the reader. I admire you for what you are trying to achieve though. Good Luck.
Old 03-06-2001, 08:56 PM   #88
Anubis
Founding Member

I don't know, is Amazon one of those "fly-by-night, naughty sights"? That was the site that my card number got scarfed on.
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 09:19 PM   #89
Damon
Founding Member

Default That Old Rugged Cross

Brent,

I am young (24) and poor (I am working three jobs after getting screwed out of my Navy College Fund after serving proudly for a tour---just to pay for community college.)

After riding my dad's bike for a bit, I have committed to the idea that I want a bike for my transport of choice (choice--God Bless America. This nation continues to be built on the backs of people who think independant choice and independant thought are a moral imperative...She was not built on whining.)

Right now I'm driving a 1976 Reebok 9.5 Velcro. No A/C, no stereo, no Cruise, (it does have leather...

I read Cycle World, Motorcyclist (my fav. print mag.), and occasionally, Sport Rider. I also like the BritMag RiDE, for the irreverance and the appeal to the lot of the everyday commuter. I read them all for free at the local library.

I can't ride the crotch rockets, though I love to read about them...I love tech.

I can't ride the cruisers, because I could never afford them...but I love to read about them...I love art, and style, and the attitude.

At the top of my list right now is the Bandit 1200S. Why? I have certainly read about it everywhere. it is because y'all MO folks ride it all, review it all, and (it seems like) love it all. It is from your attitude and idealism that I derive my *sentiments* as well as my facts. I can't donate $50, but I'll be there when you go "pay."

I believe that for most people, it boils down to what my father called "an attitude of gratitude." I genuinely believe that I am the luckiest young guy in the world, and sharing the love to the tune of $12-$15 a year is nothing. I think of it this way; when I work, I earn 6.50/hour. I have spent probably 20+ hours so far this year on MO (I read it all, baby!) To give them two hours of my pay for so much enjoyment and diversion is my pleasure. To receive 20 hours of "access" for a two-hour price is bupkis. Complainers will always find something about which to complain. They are the type who will trip over pennies on their way to dollars. Most of you...let's face it...own a bike as (at worst) a second or third vehicle, at best, a garage-kept lifestyle accessory...in other words, an expensive toy. Very few of us here rely on their bike for the only means of transport, or such necessity. Middle to upper-middle income people who balk over a measly $12-$15 bucks ought to be asahmed of themselves.

Tripping over pennies....

Hey, Brent, make good use of it. At 6/$1, twelve bucks is a lot of Ramen Noodles for this kid!

May the wind be always at your back.

Godspeed,

Damon.
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 09:24 PM   #90
Tvatakt
Founding Member

And for the people who lives in Europe and has no creditcard, could there be a way for us to pay by mail? Otherwise I dont know how to contribute, I love MO and would gladly donate, but how? Allmost all my friends who rides has no card, so none of us are able to do our bit.
Tvatakt is offline   Reply With Quote