Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-06-2001, 02:39 PM   #71
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Donate Now, Or Pay Later, Part Duex

It should cost as much, or more, because traditional companies don't want to advertise online. If you want MO the way it is, or better, it's going to cost. Then, you don't have a 90-page print magazine that's 40 pages of ads and 10 pages of "filler", just content, all the time.

15% of our readership is a lot! Over 300,000. Thus, ad rates will go up, significantly, because it's a paid circulation of highly motivated MOians, and we can do what no other medium can do: personalization and ad display only to people interested in X topic. We will begin transparently adaptive content within four months, it'll be cool: if you don't like, say Dual Sport bikes, which we'll know because you've never read that, we'll de-emphasize that section of content on our index pages, and prominately display others. The real idea is to separate the cruiser people from the sportbike people so they don't aggravate each other (and us!) so much. Content that is out of site, thus you don't know it's there, isn't annoying. To do this, though, we need to have at least double the amount of content we do now.

Your other concern about the cookie setting is difficult. I'm not sure we can do that anytime soon. I recommend that you allow cookies originating from the same domain as you're visiting, then the ad tracking systems around the 'Net don't work. Besides, if you have a fixed IP address, you can be tracked intra-site much easier than if you have cookies enabled. So there's no reason not to allow cookies fromto a site that you trust.

And really, this is a motorcycle site, not some evil geo-tracking solution or government spook site. So we set a cookie that's only readable by .motorcycle.com machines, what's the big deal? You can get pretty nested comment views.

How're you dealing with it now?
blip is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2001, 02:49 PM   #72
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah, but the reviews are still soft

Well, in our recent valuebike shootout, we wrote:

"I would've voted the Blast lower (than sixth)," ... "but there were only six bikes in the test."

So, I guess I like to think we can ink our words more eloquently than "don't buy this heap"!

Other than the Blast, I can't remember the last bike that we really didn't like. I mean, we'll always argue, especially in the multi-bike shootous, but it's usually nit-picking.

Actually, come to think of it, the last thing I tested that really sucked, Dunlop D207 street tires in our recent 600cc shootout, were clearly labeled as bogus:

"...kudos to Honda for spec'ing

awesome Michelin Pilot Sports instead of the horrid Dunlop D207 mushballs that come on the Suzuki and Yamaha."

And I followed up in the reader feedback with more in-depth explanations.

So, there you have it, MO most definitely doesn't suck.

blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 03:02 PM   #73
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: My Reply, Part Duex

"i have time and again looked through my magazines over the years for previous articles, tests, dyno figures etc. i don't see how you could provide such a convenience."

Um, have you paid any attention to all those buttons on the MO home page? MO _already_ provides this convenience. I believe every article MO has ever done is still available online. The search capability could stand some improvement, but of course it's still better than what you've got with your old print mags, i.e., nothing.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 03:20 PM   #74
ericsmith
Founding Member

6. I WILL be one of the ones paying my fee for the 1st year, provided that they use a login/password instead of the cookies deal.

I just donated my $11.98, but agree that the cookie deal suX0rs. I surf from four different computers, and reformat half of 'em two or three times a year.

Tie the donation to my login name and password, not to a cookie. Please.

Eric

R1100S

955i

GSXR-600

GS500E
ericsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 03:40 PM   #75
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: When you guys...

I'm in the same boat, I'll subscribe to MO if it gives

me something I can't get elsewhere.

I subscribe to:

CycleWorld - due to Peter Egan and Kevin Cameron;

decent bike reviews.

Motorcyclist - due to better bike reviews, TRW

( more used bike reviews please!) and pretty

decent "colour" articles ( the London bike courier

one a while back still sticks in my mind )

Rider - just an all round great mag for people who

like to ride. Great travel stories - I have a couple

future trips laid out due to them.

MCN - how can anyone not subscribe?

And I read Ride ( the best bike mag in the world!)

and Bike off the newsstand.

Another benefit that all the print mags have, is the

various "letters to the mechanic" sections. I

read through these religiously, since it may

help me with future bike problems. Last time

I checked MO didn't offer this.

As far as bike reviews go, both MCN and Ride

have _far_ better ones...

For me to subcribe to MO, they've got to give

me a reason ( compelling content! ) to do so.

It's kind of interesting that the reason I first

came to MO was due to the "Touring the world"

section... and when was the last time that was

updated?

Oh, and where is the ZR7 review?

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 03:59 PM   #76
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default Re: My Reply, Part Duex

so in other words you don't have a magazine collection
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 05:01 PM   #77
robsmoto
Founding Member

I like your site and when you go to pay-for-use I'll more than likely subscribe if the value is perceived to be higher than the cost. I am another one that uses multiple machines and I clear all cookies at least once per day. Thus I will only use a login/password based system. I routinely use passwords to access other systems, including fee based or otherwise restricted access.

The idea of soliciting donations is fine by me, but I'm going to decide about giving you money when your e-zine is fee/subscription based, and then only if it is not cookie dependent.

Y'all ride safely.
robsmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 05:53 PM   #78
SlowDude
Registered Member

Just mirror the site on your Palm with AvantGo. That's what I finally had to resort to so I could read during my "private" time. (Had to kill half of the corporate directory to free space, oh well) Cheaper than the LCD monitor.
SlowDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 06:07 PM   #79
CrashMSN
Founding Member

Default Will Work for Food..??

I don't remember exactly where it was I read this, but about 2 or so years back there was an article wrote up on the 10 most profitable sites on the World Wide Web.. I seem to remember seeing MO right up there with the likes of amazon.com and Ebay..

I'm just curious how you guys managed to go from that top ten list to begging for money..??

CrashMSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 06:08 PM   #80
AstonMartin
Founding Member

Aye...

Brent, thanks for using my words. I hope it helped.

I need the address for MO to send my money order, because I feel responsible now...Gosh...what's happening to me?

After listening to this brilliant CD from Sarah Brightman, I can say one thing: she's got a heavenly voice and I'm not going to tell you that she makes me cry all the time. Therefore I'm not a macho kinda guy. Which is perfect, because I don't have a Harley.

'night.

AstonMartin is offline   Reply With Quote