Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-05-2001, 04:30 PM   #21
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Donate Now, Or Pay Later, Part Duex

I can boot you off if'n it'll make you feel better... but I don't see why we would. We've only booted one person this year, two last year. Most people are pretty civil.

This is funny: when you get booted, you can't read MO, you get redirected to:

the whiner's page.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2001, 04:32 PM   #22
HaVoC_X
Founding Member

Default 2 Questions...

First of all I don't mind paying, considering I spend alot more per year on cycle mags, (motorcycle racer, sport rider, etc...)

However, I am one of these anal people who enjoy anonymity during my surfing and as such I run cookie management software and even that has it's cache cleared on a daily basis. Before you tell me I'm being paranoid don't bother I know you can track/profile user movement across the internet through cookies because I work as a programmer (although not web based). Is there a way of simply implementing username/password right's authentication?

2nd question is did you consider the idea of changing yourself to a not-for-profit organization so as to allow your readers to claim donations on income tax.

Thanks alot and yes I love your site, best on the web...
HaVoC_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 04:34 PM   #23
ZR-7
Founding Member

Starving had it right..."Part Duex" of the Valuebike test.

I think most riders wanted to see the Ducati M600/750 up against the SV650 and ZR-7. The M900 is almost twice the price of the other two bike.

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 04:59 PM   #24
gort9
Founding Member

Sorry Gang, last time I saw a previously free website asking for donations, they were offline and outta business 2 months later. I'll just have to find another free news source for the motorcycling info. You should at least try to boost the ad revenue before soliciting donations.

See all later, I gotta change my homepage to motoworld.net

later Dudes...
gort9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 05:06 PM   #25
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: You are NOT the man who would give his life for his brot

I agree with you Gabe. I plan to donate soon (got to get the card from the wife).

In addition, isn't motorcyclenews supported by a print version? Also, I haven't been able to get on to their site for a few days.

Anyway, I appreciate MO. One thing I like about MO is the ability to search the archives. A lot easier than trying to search through my less than complete print mag collection.

One thing MO -- more touring the world stuff. Or take reader submissions. My wife and I are planning a nice ride from VA to Milwauke (to see family friends, not the HD engine factory). On the way back to VA, we'll be taking in (among other places) South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, NM and TX. I would be happy to send MO a report...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 05:10 PM   #26
starvingstudent
Founding Member

MO,

Thanks for acknowledging the importance of broke student riders. My status as such has been what's kept me from saying I'll pay for the site, but I'm thinking a bit more about it. You _are_ the best online motorcycle site, especially for someone who doesn't like the sportbike-only focus of MCN or Bikenet. And $12/year isn't too much, though it is 10 gallons of gas, which on my current bike equals 500-600 miles of quality canyon riding. And that's nothing to sneeze at either.

I'm not going to donate money, because I can't really afford to spend cash unless I have to. But I'm beginning to think that I _might_ pay when you switch over to a full pay site. We'll see.

Furthermore, will there be a password system for accessing my account when I'm at a computer that doesn't have the cookie? There's also a slight problem with your current system--I've forgotten my password, but when I get the verification code to get a new password, I can't figure out what to do with it. Am I just being dumb or is this system broken? I'm not the most literate with computers, so I could just be doing things the wrong way.

Starving Student
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 05:13 PM   #27
blip
Founding Member

I thought the letter above was pretty clear, we've been profitable for five years -- the only web site anywhere to do that -- and revenues should be up this year. So we're not going anywhere. The problem is we're not growing fast enough, and need revenues to hire more editorial talent.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 05:21 PM   #28
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Another problem

Whenever I try to change my password on my account config page, I click on "save changes" and I get the message "The contains no data. Try again later, or contact the server's administrator." Well, I guess this is contacting the server's administrator. Is this a problem with my computer or your system? (I'm a medieval historian, not a comp sci major!)

Starving Student
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 05:44 PM   #29
davidcorr
Founding Member

bounced again.

same as guy above.

was ready to donate $50. happened with the amazon effort.

once again, don't make it hard for me to do business with you!!!

come on, i'm trying!!!

get this donation mechanism up and running.

you're running out of goodwill.
davidcorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 05:49 PM   #30
gort9
Founding Member

Looks like another .com fading out...
gort9 is offline   Reply With Quote