Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-07-2001, 04:09 AM   #101
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

Default Re: Will Work for Food..??

"I seem to remember seeing MO right up there with the likes of amazon.com and Ebay"

since when has amazon ever been profitable?

It's pretty sad when the online readership starts getting stingy with their money when they are simultaneously complaining about lack of content, somehow ignoring the fact that they are getting it for free.

My father taught me to always be fair in transactions, and to pay someone a day's pay for a day's work, and you at MO certainly put in a day's work. I'm donating because over the past few years, the information on your site has been beneficial to me. I don't care that other online sites provide it for free. I use MO, and you should be compensated for your effort.
oldjapbikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2001, 04:47 AM   #102
SilverSurfer
Founding Member

Default Re: Donate Now, Or Pay Later, Part Duex

I have a couple of questions about this before I donate.

I read MO from several points; home and work mainly, but other sources if I'm bored and 'net access is available (say... oh, training rooms). If my donation will result in a cookie with a yearlong lifespan, does that mean that where I donate from will be the only place that I'm free from the distractions of ads? I'd like to think that my donation will be associated with my username so I can log on and reap the benefits of the donation from wherever I choose.

Secondly, how about a running tab on how the donations tally up? Do you have a goal, or is this just a "keep it coming 'til we're comfortable" kind of thing? I'd just like to know where we stand. Ya, I used the term "we"; once I pony up cash, I feel as though I'm part of this.

I honestly hope you guys make it. I've been coming to MO for several years now, and I've found it interesting and timely. I've never been happy with the T595 review and the problems that occured there (my one jab, and it's because I'm overly protective of my ride ;->), but otherwise I've never found fault with the site or it's mission.

Old 03-07-2001, 05:33 AM   #103
moonline
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah, but the reviews are still soft

I never said MO sucked. Yes, you are more honest than the traditional mags.

So you said the Buell Blast bites. That took balls! And it is impossible to buy a bad bike - you could be a little more critical than that.

I noticed later in the thread that someone intends to buy a Bandit 1200 BECAUSE of your review, so you see, I am not the only one that misses your sharp tongued criticisms. Still, I plan to re-read that review.

Lastly, more reviews of cruiser and and other types other than sporties. I liked the quick and dirty on the VTX, and can't wait to read the deeper review with I hope your are planning.

Thanks, though, for responding to my post. That alone sold me, yes I pledge to contribute. This is far more interesting than those PBS fund drives that seem continuous.

MO rules.

moonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 06:25 AM   #104
elitegroup
Founding Member

Default Re: That Old Rugged Cross

Like don adams used to say in "Get Smart" missed the subject by - l - that much.
elitegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 07:09 AM   #105
stevegrab
Founding Member

Yeah, I was one of those asking for a more street oriented review on the 600 shootout. When people started flaming you, I was there supporting you. I told them, hey next time vote, or don't complain. And if you voted, and are in the minority, that's life.

The amount of flaming you guys take probably explains why you don't use your real email addresses with your registered IDs. Or maybe its your version of preventing spam. I mean, surely your email address is not really "brent_at_motorcycle.c0m". But maybe it it "brent@motorcycle.com".
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 07:29 AM   #106
stevegrab
Founding Member

Nothing is entirely safe, I don't think anybody implied that. But using an online purchase with credit card, is as safe, if not safer, than placing an order over the phone.

It is unfortunate that you were scammed like that. I wonder why your credit card company didn't catch it and alert you. Some of them are good at recognizing patterns. So good that my brother had his Discover card deactivated because he was travelling up the CA coast, making purchases that didn't seem right to Discover.

You must have had a high credit limit to allow the $15,000 of charges.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 08:02 AM   #107
muthafahka
Founding Member

Default Unique numbers

I am confused; you say "one million plus unique visitors last month" yet Top9.com, a third-party traffic measuring service, only shows 164,000 unique visitors for the same period (see http://www.top9.com/automotive/motorcycles.html).

Now I know the argument about "not being able to count cached visitors," but that applies to everyone. So my guess is that either you are grossly exagerating, or Top9.com is dead wrong with their figures.
muthafahka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 08:15 AM   #108
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Unique numbers

top9.com is the biggest joke of a service I've ever heard of. We've tried several times to contact them with no avail. One of these days, we'll have counsel send them a cease and desist for claiming to be an "impartial" services, or even a "measuring" service.

I've been meaning to write a robot that signs up for their anyone-can-join-grossly-biased service and reads MO non-stop. Presto! Instant #1. What a farse. I should start top10.com and rank us #1 in the world, overall (we're obviously not as big as a yahoo), it'd have the same validity.

Try Alexa, or, Media Metrix, or Neilsen, or BPAi. Sadly, in Alexa, we can't get them to aggregate news.motorcycle.com and www.motorcycle.com into the same top-level site. news.motorcycle.com is about 15% of our traffic. That said, look in Alexa or Media Metrix, and you'll find that news.mo, the small subset of our readership that it is, is bigger than any other motorcycle site: motorcycleworld.com, cyclenews.com et al.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 10:06 AM   #109
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I re-log in every time I come up as "Anonymous Squid"... Which is every time I dump my cookies and cache.
Old 03-07-2001, 10:33 AM   #110
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: My Reply, Part Duex

Two days ago, I installed an all-new search system, and removed the old daily news items from 1995 through 2000 from the cataloging system -- they cluttered it up so much, I found it hard to find the actual reviews, which seems to be what people are looking for.

It has enchanced search functions/criteria. Give it a whirl and let me know if you think it's better. If not, how could it be?

We do thousands of searches per day, so it's an important part of MO.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote