Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   A Respectable Request From a Non-Rider? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3721)

Fenton 07-04-2006 05:15 AM

Re: Hey troll, open your eyes

BTW, I didn't moderate you post to "dipstick" I think they just come off your URL that way.

Cathar 07-04-2006 05:26 AM

Re: Nice story Bruce …

As they say, if you argue with an idiot for long enough, he's doing the same.

On that note, I humbly withdraw.

bigdx 07-04-2006 05:51 AM

Yep, stick to conversing with sheep.

Baaaah Baaaaah

oldtim 07-04-2006 06:01 AM

Re: A Respectable Request From a Non-Rider?

What ever... Some people have too much time on their hands

Tadgh 07-04-2006 06:10 AM

bored in work ...whats your excuse ?

Fenton 07-04-2006 06:13 AM

You are correct, given the testing speed, let's use 70mph, "some" manufacturers will retard(flat spot) or gear the bike high(ducati) just so the db limit is met for that testing speed. Your bike may be "illegal" at 40 or 80 but that is not where the db test/pass is measured. I choose to re-gear my bike down with the cs sproket -1 or the rear +2 or 3. In most cases it is the best bang for the buck in all around performance.

bigdx 07-04-2006 06:27 AM

"Cruisers are illegal, while I-4's CAN be illegal"

I am assuming you are referring to noise levels here, and you are quite wrong. If your bike fails to meet noise and/or emission standards, your bike is illegal, while running or no. In other words, your bike exceeds 80 db or it doesn’t. If it does, it is illegal, even when parked.

Secondly, you are assuming that sport bikers keep their noise down to acceptable level while in earshot of the public. This is a very subjective and mistaken assumption. The sportbiker will obviously tolerate a lot more noise of his own motorcycle, as do every motorcyclist. A number of posters have indicated how cool the loud roar of their motorcycles sound. How is that preferable to the Harley rider that likes his loud sound?

Compound this with the fact that sport bikers normally wear full-face helmet which attenuates noise (many rider wear use earplugs which increases attenuation) and that the angle of the emitting noise is 180 from the riders ears, the sport rider is really the least able to judge the db levels he is creating.

I routinely hear morons flying up and down route 4 which is several miles from my home, carelessly exceeding both speed limits and noise levels by a wide margin. As an audiophile, I find their behavior very disturbing and have lodged several complaints with the authorities.

"but the I-4's not as often, so aren't they better for motorcycling (or less bad)?"

It is medical fact that frequencies between 15Hz and 150Hz promote healing and humans (and most mammals) find them very soothing. A low revving 45 degree vtwin is much more liable to produce harmonics in this range than a high revving I4.

"Just that the cruisers are more often guilty of this particular offense."

This is a very subjective opinion, which I do not share. I am not going to bore you with my experience which contradicts your opinions. What I will say is that it has become strikingly clear to me that the majority of posters are most certainly in violation of sound emission laws. The sportbikers however, all seem to justify their transgression by pointing out another genre (that of cruisers) to be bigger violators.

How about the following analogy "Well your honor, I did kill the girl but Billy Bob killed 5 girls so I am innocent"

Stupid no?

My view is one should not ridicule another for behavior that oneself is guilty of. I believe that is called hypocrisy. The majority of posters on this board do that.

bigdx 07-04-2006 06:32 AM

"I make a point that anyone, HD or sportbike, running exhaust that is obnoxiously loud is a moron. You choose to argue that;"

In the realms of your imagination, yes

And the name is Wild’un, remember in the future a$$hole

bigdx 07-04-2006 06:37 AM

Nah, it was that sheep shagging ozzy Cathar ...

You know how Australia came about no? They are all descendents of felons that the British deported. I guess one should not expect much from the descendents of felons.

Austarlia, a land were men are men and sheep are fearful

sarnali 07-04-2006 06:38 AM

he just whines like a *****