Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 07-03-2006, 03:05 PM   #31
sconley
Founding Member

Default Re: You're the Man..

...No worries, I often throw stuff back in the pot myself... I think we all do whether we are aware of it or not... But I am flattered, glad you enjoyed the obervation... I actually used to put those playing cards on my bike... Except I had Skyway Tuff Wheel II mags and the kids with the spokes sounded way cooler just on the "spoke:mag ratio principle." ...No matter how fast I peddled, the mags sounded like I was at idle all the time. Anyway, I'd like to say I outgrew it but my duc has Termignoni pipes and my R6 has a slip-on... Nothing too annoying but I could see that those that aren't "into" bikes would rather not hear anything... Actually, I wish the r6 was stock; I bought it that way. The duc/termi combo I like and admittedly would have a tough time being forced to go back to the stock cans/sound... Tough topic, though I think even loud pipes are only annoyingly loud when you want them to be... The annoyance and the shame has more to do with the type of rider who thinks it's cool to WOT any bike (stock or otherwise) while in a congested public area.
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #32
dean_1
Founding Member

Default Re: A Respectable Request From a Non-Rider?

OK. Let's cut out the crap. Here's the way it works.

Motorcyclists are as unique as the middle-aged guy in the two year old Buick. Trust me on this (I used to be one) a middle aged guy in a fairly new Buick can get away with most anything. A vehicle repleat with Cruise-A-Line-Vent-A-Ports driven by a man who is no longer young is the best roadside plea bargain ever invented.

There are easier targets and more threatening profiles.

I hate to say it but the poor and defenseless are most vulnerable and motorcyclist are not profiled as poor and defenseless. You may find random areas that enforce a noise ordinance for a limited time but the reality is you can use open pipes nationwide with impunity and it's been that way since HD had the Feds lay the tariff down.
dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #33
Cathar
Founding Member

Default Re: Nice story Bruce Â…

Should've known better than to expect a well reasoned response.

Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #34
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Hey troll, open your eyes

Have you noticed a lot of "ricers" think asshats ride sportbikes and HDs with loud exhausts.

I had a thunderheader on my fatboy, set off too many car alarms. I've had aftermarket exhaust on my sportbikes, too loud up top. What's your point? The v-twin poser crowd is the biggest problem with the exhaust noise. Not to mention, I don't "cruise" through town on my sportbike. Nor did I "blip" my throttle every 3 seconds on my harley"S".

Speaking of the popular "blip" ask the next guy doing that if he's had his tranny checked out cause it "should" go into gear at idle.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #35
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: You're the Man..

I had a set of Tuff Wheels on one of my BMX bikes. Unfortunately, they were too heavy for racing and I was beyond the age for the baseball card trick.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #36
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: A Respectable Request From a Non-Rider?

I thought we were done with the loud pipes debate for awhile. I guess some things never get old.

It doesn't matter what kind of bike it is, excessively loud pipes are bad for all of us. But let's be honest, the vast majority of the offenders reside within the big V-twin crowd. Just like the majority of offenders of the stunting/outrageous speed problem reside within the sportbike crowd.

I don't know that the majority of big twin owners have loud pipes, but around here it's got to be close to 2/3rds. I didn't notice one standard, sportbike or sport-tourer this weekend that had an excessively loud pipe (okay, actually one KLR650 that was pretty loud). I know there are some around, but the numbers ar tiny in comparison.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #37
jasonlion54
Founding Member

Hmm....

I think the point when people say that ricer bikes are only loud at high rpm's is this:

V-twins (with modded pipes) are always loud, all the time. The rider can't do anything about it.

I-4's are loud when you whack the throttle at high rpm's. However, a discerning rider can operate his bike around town without ever breaking decibel limits.

So cruisers ARE loud. Ricers CAN BE loud.

Doesn't that make cruisers more of a problem?
jasonlion54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:41 AM   #38
bigdx
Founding Member

Nope.

Both are illegal, both do the motorcycling a disservice, both ***** the public off a lot and both need be removed off the road. Somehow thinking one is "better than the other" is flawed reasoning and very naïve ... of course folks always seem to justify actions that they are guilty of.

That is the same stupidity as the postulation by many sport bikers that breaking the speed limits is not necessarily speeding.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:45 AM   #39
bigdx
Founding Member

No, you donÂ’t want a well reasoned response, you me to accept your flawed justification of your transgression Â… that I will not do. Neither will Joe public.

If you pipe goes over 80db at 3 foot you are illegal, whether that happens at 2000rpm or 10000rpm. Thinking your transgression is ok because by your flawed theory it is less of a transgression than someone elseÂ’s, is ridiculous and somewhat infantile.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:08 AM   #40
bk6a
Founding Member

as per bikes that can be loud are just as illegal as bikes that are loud...my bike can break the speed limit, but i'm legal when i don't...just like my loud in the canyons triple (yea england). of course on hd's one doesn't break the speed limit outside of school zones, so i can see why the point might be lost on you.
bk6a is offline   Reply With Quote