Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 07-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #121
Thruxomatic
Founding Member

Default Re: A Respectable Request From a Non-Rider?

That's one of the myths he explodes ... that there isn't scientific consensus. It isn't just consensus, it is damn near unanimous. He pulled over 2000 random articles from peer-reviewed scientific journals and none of them oppposed global warming. None.

That is the whole point of the front companies - to introduce doubt in the public mind so as to extend the period where we stick with fossil fuels longer than we normally would. Their 'research' is never offered up for peer review and the summaries are sent right to the press. They don't even really pretend to be real scientists, but that doesn't stop the public from swallowing it up and believing debate exists where there isn't any.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2006, 04:42 AM   #122
pdad13
Founding Member

There isn't much debate about whether we're in some form of warming trend, or "global warming" as the theory goes.

As I understand it, the main questions are whether it's a permanent trend and whether it's caused or worsened by man-made sources. And just because there are shadow organizations with political and economic agendas that are actively opposing the theory doesn't prove it true. (And some of those agendas are legitimate and justified). There are agendas on the other side, too. Remember the movie was made to promote a point of view; it's not a strict documentary. It may be the cprrect point of view, but I doubt Al was going to introduce much doubt about global warming even if legitimate doubt exists.

My doubts have less to do with any front organizations and more to do with a simple observation. (By the way, the scientists have been wrong before. It's only natural considering that they're postulating theory. And they've changed their tune enough on this one.)

As the theory goes, we're currently in a significant warming trend of somewhere between .8-1.0 degree. How do we know this? Climate reconstructions done mainly from treering analysis and icecore samples. We don't have many accurate weather records going back further than 100 years.

Now how do we know the climate reconstructions are accurate? Some well-respected scientists have questioned them. We're only talking a rise of .8- 1 degree of average temperature and there might be a margin of error in the reconstructions of .4-.8 degrees (or more). To me, that's pretty troubling.

This is just one point. I won't go on about causation; it's just too complicated.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:05 AM   #123
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Couple of bizarre posts ... again

bigdx is not me have MO run an IP check...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:09 AM   #124
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Couple of bizarre posts ... again

by the way I don't have a Lexus and am not a licensed pilot or an executive manager yet..and bigdx is not me...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:49 PM   #125
LiionsRest
Registered Member

Never have "gotten" the point of the insanely loud pipes some ride with. I love the sound of a powerful sounding exhaust as much as anyone, but once it's so loud it's annoying or painful, that's your clue, clueless one!

One of the best exhaust sounds I've ever known was from the STOCK cans on my recently sold 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans. If it were a few (a FEW) dB louder, it would have been better, but just barely

One of my very best friends has a Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic with a 'Screamin' Eagle' upgrade. They don't call it Screamin' for nothing. Actually it's only a few dB too loud. If he rides it gently, it's not terribly obnoxious. I've heard much worse. After riding it a short while, he actually inquired at the dealer about getting the stock exhausts back on. The dealer was stunned, had never heard that request before. It turned out to be a bit of a hassle, so he's stuck with the Eagles.

So not all Harley riders insist on announce-the-coming-apocalypse loudness for their exhaust volume level. Frankly, it's consistent with the laziness I witness with most of the "engineering" that goes into custom choppers. To actually create an exhaust system that doesn't cause nearby poultry to explode, but still allows nearly max engine performance takes thought and work. Far, far easier to just make a cool looking straight pipe. Same with a rear suspension, just bolt the rear wheel to the damn frame, we don't have time to think up a working suspension system!
Old 04-03-2009, 04:42 AM   #126
allaboutbikes
Registered Member

Default www.allaboutbikes.com

We cover this topic all the time in our everyday riding section, check out All About Bikes | Motocycle News Resources | Manufacturers, Industry, Sport, Everyday, Track, Communityfor more.
allaboutbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:09 AM   #127
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutbikes View Post
We cover this topic all the time in our everyday riding section,
Thanks for the warning.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:37 AM   #128
jindi
Registered Member

Cool Holidays in spain

Plan your own Holidays in spain and save money by booking direct with golf hotels, bed and breakfast near golf courses, villas and apartments with golf nearby and the golf courses themselves. European and Worldwide Golf Holidays provides a website and email direct link to golf courses, hotels, bed and breakfasts, villas and apartments for golfing holidays and golf breaks on or near courses in golf Holidays
jindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #129
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindi View Post
Plan your own Holidays in spain and save money by booking direct with golf hotels, bed and breakfast near golf courses, villas and apartments with golf nearby and the golf courses themselves. European and Worldwide Golf Holidays provides a website and email direct link to golf courses, hotels, bed and breakfasts, villas and apartments for golfing holidays and golf breaks on or near courses in golf Holidays
The Train in Spain runs mainly across the Plain. When the Rain leaves a Stain or mark of Cain, it's time to Explain why it caused so much Pain........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #130
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I hate loud pipes and the idiots that claim they save lives need a DOT helmet first. My bike has aftermarket pipes and I'd like to find someone with a stock set to trade even (if they get me rejetted too)

if the life saving analogy were true they would take sirens off fire trucks and add headers with straight pipes

as annoying as car stereos they need be stoped, ticketed & parked until legal

Last edited by A Star Ride : 11-11-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling correction
A Star Ride is offline   Reply With Quote