Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 06-22-2006, 05:31 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Deja Vu

We need Chuck Norris more than ever right now!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2006, 05:32 AM   #22
ejis
Founding Member

I can't believe I'm about to say this - but I actually agree with you, though I'm not quite as cynical as many here. Hp and mph limits do already exist in "gentlenmens agreements" and law in some countries/eras, but they have been, are - and will likely continue to be - largely irrelavent as all a manufacturer has to do is simply claim a lower number for power as was done decades ago with cars.

Speed limiters are another story, and I don't doubt that there will be a time when we are all limited to a maximum speed based on where we are; if you on a 55 mph limited highway, then the computer won't allow you to go faster than that. This kind of technology is already being tested, along with the transmitter that a LEO can use to shut down any car they want to.

And most (if not all states) do have noise limits for motor vehicles (cars are not immune), it's just that no one enforces them. See the other troll-and-flame fest for more on this though...
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:33 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: UN Motorcycle Ban

Ah BS. Everybody knows that it's the Bilderbergers that call all the shots.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #24
Andonyx
Registered Member

Just a quick note for people unfamiliar with Reason. Reason is the unofficial spokes-magazine for the libertarian movement. They are unabashedly AGAINST government rgulation or government bans on things like this (And guns and drugs, and various other things) Hmmm, they're kind of like hell's angels in Madras shirts.

Anyway if you read Mr.s Sullom's comments or the various poster's comments as pro-ban you're missing some sarcasm.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:36 AM   #25
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default They rally round tha family! With a pocket full of shells!

Bulls On Parade Mutha F*cka!

Oh wait...that's "de la Rocha" not "LaRouche" .

um...never mind...carry on.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:39 AM   #26
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Oh, trust me, I NEVER miss sarcasm. The article was clearly jabbing at Bloomberg.

I've voted Libertarian for the past three presidential elections.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:41 AM   #27
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

A good round-house kick to all the dirty hippies and religious zealots!

Long live Norris!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:43 AM   #28
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: UN Motorcycle Ban

And the Rothschilds! The Queen and her heroin peddling cronies! The Beef lobby!

What ever happened to old Lyndon? He still in the can?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:50 AM   #29
Thruxomatic
Founding Member

"The power ranger pro helmet-legislation crowd better realize that by empowering the government to force one form legislation on the motorcycle population, you empower them to enforce any type of legislation on us. "

Time for your tinfoil hat to go back on.

Your argument lost the minute the first stop sign was posted and the world didn't subsequently collapse in a wave of fascist dictatorships. A stop sign is a restriction on our freedoms, and if that restriction just gives government a blank check to go whole hog ... then why don't we have an American dicta ... uh, never mind.

The reality is that some laws are reasonable and some aren't. The reasonable ones pass precisely because they are reasonable and the unreasonable ones die on the vine for lack of support in most cases. Unreasonable laws do get passed, but usually due to corruption, complacency on the part of the public or because of a good PR campaign supporting one side of the argument.

Legally, motorcyclists aren't doing badly, at least according to the CNN segment posted here. A large chunk of the US states don't even have a helmet law and many state legislatures just got rid of the laws they did have, so your 'freedom' appears only to be as far away as the state line if you feel too oppressed by The Man. What motorcyclists suffer from is a huge PR deficit within the public eye.

So ... what are you going to do to do your part?

You say you drive defensively and haven't been in an accident in 15 years. Good for you because that's part of the solution. Defensive driving and driver education reduce accidents, thereby reducing injuries and show the cager public that we are serious about doing our part.

Do you wear safety gear? It doesn't sound like you do, but that is also part of the solution. I wear a full suit whenever I'm riding and have added reflective tape to my bike and my helmet. I even carry a reflective vest to wear at night (black bike, black riding gear). If you stop at driving defensively, thinking you've done your part, and don't go the extra step, you are missing out on the key point: public perception. Wear no safety gear and not only are you showing up in emergency rooms more often and suffering more severe injuries, but those EMTs, Doctors and nurses who are busting their humps to keep you alive are going to go home and tell their kiddies and friends about the 'organ donor' who came in last night with preventable injuries ... again. Even if you don't get into an accident, every car you pass or who passes you is thinking the same thing when they see you without safety gear - what an idiot.

Do you go the extra mile to be accomodating to that cager public that is threatening to take away our fun? From your posts, I would have to say I doubt it. Belligerence, whether that shows up in noisy pipes or the 'I'll do what I fsking well want' attitude you seem to exhibit ad nauseum just makes enemies of precisely the people we need to be our friends: John Q Public. I don't care how much of a freedom freak, Ayn Rand worshipper or Easy Rider wannabe you think you are, if you behave in public like you do on the forums (and many riders seem to have an attitude like yours), then you are hurting our cause more than you are helping it.

Finally, in a general sense we have to get realistic. Cagers outnumber us 10 to 1 and while we know that most injuries or fatalities on bikes are caused by a cager turning left in front of a bike illegally ... they are never, ever going to admit their role in our injuries or fatalites while they have another potential explanation to latch onto. Human nature just doesn't work that way; if people can blame someone else for their own shortcomings, they will. Our best defense is to avoid those accidents in the first place through defensive driving, but also to ensure that if the accident is going to happen, that we make the news reels and front pages wearing full gear, riding at or below the speed limit, with a valid licence and with a history of rider training and with absolutely no doubt that the fault for the accident was the cager's.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:54 AM   #30
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Yawn ..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote