Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-28-2001, 12:06 PM   #1
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: New AMA Initiative Against Cars

Use a car, go to jail! I like it.

Oh, my gosh, did I get the coveted "first post"? I'm beside myself with excitement. The thrill! I'm so special. It's all about _ME_, isn't it?
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2001, 12:37 PM   #2
cptomes
Founding Member

I received a shattered femur in June 1999 thanks to an oncoming left-turn idiot cager. He is now in jail for fleeing the scene. If the AMA sticks to this kind of political initiative instead of screwing the membership with huge legal fees (and attempting to screw other roadracing organizations) I might join again.
cptomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 12:41 PM   #3
H1Rabbit
Founding Member

Thanks guys. I went to the AMA story site and e-mailed my suggestion. I asked if they could come up with national & state governmental agency "targets" where we could all direct our e-mail support.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. That's an important element of what your site and the AMA are supposed to be doing.
H1Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 12:50 PM   #4
caderider
Registered Member

I remember reading in American Motorcyclist a few months ago in their article about 'road rage' and one fellow reported that a left-turner deliberately stopped his car in front of the biker. After the accident in his broken english the driver said "You go to fast. I teach you slow down".

I get the impression there are way too many drivers attempting just such a move who don't actually stop, but slow way down and take their time turning and force the rider to slow/stop/avoid them because they DO see us coming, have that 'I hate bikers, period' attitude, and think to themselves "Oh yea? I'm bigger than you, go for it!".

OK, I'm done.
Old 02-28-2001, 01:01 PM   #5
crg
Founding Member

I haven't seen that so much, mostly just idiots busy with cell phones or kids, or just idiots. The thing that gets me, is when they realize they're sharing your lane, they act like they could care less. It's no big deal.

When I am driving a car, my biggest fear is moving into a lane with a bike. It's amazing how little it phases most people...
crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 01:01 PM   #6
Tiny
Founding Member

Default What about radio DJ's

I wonder if the AMA has heard about

the KSJO djs that promoted cagers

opening doors on riders?

Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 01:12 PM   #7
Poser
Founding Member

Actually, I am paranoid most of the time. I have had cars, pedestrians, other motorcyclists, and even a bicycle wander out in front of me. The bicyclist was pretty funny- his eyes got big as dinner plates and he just froze in the middle of my lane when he figured out that I was actually bigger than he was and very close to him. I managed to slide past him in a cloud of tire smoke. It would have been less funny if I had hit him.

What this proves to me is that most people would still live in caves if left to figure things out for themselves. Because they are idiots, and idiots need big consequences to notice their actions, I don't think the AMA initiative goes far enough. Two hundred lousy bucks and a thirty day suspension for neglegent homocide? They should be held for criminal and civil punishment in line with the impact (I mean it both ways) of their actions.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 01:27 PM   #8
Dirtbiker
Founding Member

I agree with crg-- most of what I see is just idiots or inconsiderate people, but you never know...
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 02:15 PM   #9
MattTinSF
Founding Member

Right on AMA!

Like many of you, I've criticized AMA over the years for a lot of their policies, and their racing rules. But I joined again recently because it looks like new leadership there is taking the organization in new directions. They are also talking about making some racing rules changes that I think will bring a lot of excitement back into their races.

But this campaign is exactly what I want the AMA to concentrate on, so I'm once again saying that EVERY motorcyclist in this country should join this organization NOW! Hell, even if you don't give a damn about politics, you'll get your dues money back in bennies that come with membership. And, they have good parties at all the Superbike events.

Check it out.

MattTinSF

AMA member and proud of it, for a change.
MattTinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 02:21 PM   #10
foobiwan
Founding Member

For once, I actually feel like joining the AMA.

As for that KSJO DJ, I think we should organize, and if anyone gets hurt due to his actions, sue the station and the DJ (sending the money to a good advocacy group), and attempt to press criminal charges.
foobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote