Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-01-2001, 03:43 PM   #41
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default It is a very satisfying feeling

to ride a motorcycle in the snow and pass SUVs stuck in the ditch. It would probably be pretty cool to offer to hook up a tow rope and pull them out (I could!...maybe), but there's no way I'd help them.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2001, 03:46 PM   #42
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: It is a very satisfying feeling

I've never ridden in the snow... I never had the nerve, I guess. It always seemed like a bad idea when you only have two tiny contact patches on an inherently unstable vehicle to me. My hat (Helmet) is off to you!
Old 03-01-2001, 03:50 PM   #43
smokey422
Founding Member

Default Re: What about radio DJ

they have not only heard about it, they sent out

an e-mail to many of their members(including me).

AMA has also sent a letter of protest to the station

and latest word is that the two DJs are getting some unpaid leave to ponder their little "joke".
smokey422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 03:57 PM   #44
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default did you get his plate#?

You could call the police and try to press charges for attempted vehicular homicide. It'd be worth trying for me, even if it didn't stick. Last time I got a plate number I just called it in as a drunk driver, but it wasn't as obviously malicious, just stupid.
Old 03-01-2001, 04:01 PM   #45
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default I wouldn't say that

a motorcycle is inherently unstable, and it's actually much easier than you think. It stops, turns and goes better than a car, just takes more skill than a car to make it work--just like on pavement.
Old 03-01-2001, 07:33 PM   #46
Calamari
Founding Member

Default More laws will fix everything?....NOT

The way our goverment works the finale legislation

would not have any resemblence to the original

initiatives and probably end up being twisted into

something that will cost us more to register and insure our machines. Ah forget it thats way to cynical.

Cheers to the AMA for atleast creating awareness

and makeing some noise.

Until they cure stupidity theirs no solution to the

car problem.
Calamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 09:32 PM   #47
jboyette
Founding Member

Default Re: New AMA Initiative Against Cars

Agreement here. Just last night a cage-van-family exiting a restaurent ALMOST pulled out in front of me. I saw it happening and flashed my hi-beam at him and he stopped just like a deer in a hunter's headlights! Actually, I see much of the same when I'm driving my truck, but the size of the thing helps other cagers see me. I'm going to get a headlight flasher and maybe some extra driving lights, letssee, also a revolving yellow light and a siren... AMA may be able to help by driver education changes.
jboyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 07:44 AM   #48
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: did you get his plate#?

No, I didn't. I did consider getting in behind him and following him until he stopped, however....
Old 03-02-2001, 07:47 AM   #49
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: More laws will fix everything?....NOT

Until they cure the car problem, there'll be no cure for stupidity.
Old 03-02-2001, 07:53 AM   #50
ecl207
Founding Member

Default Re: New AMA Initiative Against Cars

This initiative by the AMA is one or four major points that are discussed in in the newly disclosed National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety. while i will certainly not say that the discussion put forth here is not a relevent argument, the fact that it is the only one of these four issues that is being discussed is somewhat disturbing. undoubtedly cars, whether through maliciousness or thoughtlessness, pose a major threat to motorcyclists, but you will note that the other three points of interest detailed in the above mentioned report indicate that motorcyclist's biggest problem is their own behavior. I have read many many posts on this and other sites that have degraded into cage bashing. cars are a scape goat in the motorcycle community that people use to excuse the fact that they are often involved in unsafe practices themselves. again this is not to say that cars and those driving them are not dangerous and that action should not be taken to help manage this problem, however, if we are going to discuss motorcycle safety it would be most beneficial to deal with all the problems that we as motorcyclists face, as opposed to the ones that leave us feeling the least guilty. motorcycle.com should have included this link in their article and mentioned that this paper does not indicate in any way that cars are the only or even the largest threat to motorcyclists. check out the agenda : http://www.ahainc.com/nams/index.htm
ecl207 is offline   Reply With Quote