Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-01-2001, 11:08 AM   #31
tony
Founding Member

Default Re: New AMA Initiative Against Cars

I believe this misses the boat. The problem is that to many drivers don't take driving seriuosly in this country. Some people love to drive but to many don't so it's just a matter of getting some place. Until they figure out a way to make drivers take their driving skills and driving seriously nothing will change. They worry more about speeders then the folks that actually cause most the accidents. They call everything accidents and most the time it shouldn't be called an accident.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2001, 11:43 AM   #32
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: What about radio DJ

Tiny,

Which DJ's on KSJO do that? I haven't listened to KSJO in a while...
Old 03-01-2001, 11:52 AM   #33
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Alas, I am not alone----

I don't know Abe... I just don't know. I had one last night that I'm pretty sure tried to kill me. I was splittin' lanes (yeah, I know, I know) not going fast, moving maybe 30 Mph, cars doing about 5 mph... This guy's on my left, my headlight bobbing along in his right-side mirror, he looks over at it (I saw him) and yanked the wheel into the lane to the right of him. Locked the back tire, momentarily locked the front tire (didn't put the bike down, thankj god) before getting everything under control. Driver GRINNED at me as I passed him. B*stard. F*ck cagers, they all s*ck.
Old 03-01-2001, 12:04 PM   #34
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Well, like I said....

I don't mean to take away from those instances where drivers do display malicious intent. I think drivers who do those types of things are #1: major-league dingleberries, and #2: ignorant of the severity of what they just did. I've seen the same type of behavior between cars (i.e. driving on the shoulder, etc.), but I don't think they realize just how large the potential for injury is for us. I was cruising down the shoulder one time (quite illegally) when a semi veered off at me to run me off the road. Cruel, envious behavior, yes, but I don't think he really meant to hurt me. That's not what makes me mad. I just can't stand that cars feel the need to slow us down just because they can't manuever through traffic like we can.

P.S. Is lane-splitting legal where you are? Even if it is, I probably wouldn't go as fast as you were. I can't speak from experience as it is illegal and virtually nonexistent here in Minnesota. Nobody ever, ever does it in traffic.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 12:16 PM   #35
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default I agree... (with most of it)

There are two kinds of people on the road: Those who can operate a vehicle, and those who can DRIVE. Unfortunately, I am of the opinion that there are far more people in the former group than the latter. It pisses me off to no end that I can get a ticket, and therefore significant monetary penalties for doing 53 in a 40 on a nice, clear, two lane country road at 1 in the afternoon, yet there are people who are allowed to drive that clearly have no concept of vehicle control. Presented with an emergency, these people are useless. They have no awareness of vehicles around them, and cannot begin to understand the physics of the car/truck they are riding in. In Minnesota, we see evidence of this all the time. The popularity of the 4wd suv has probably worsened the problem, as now people have more access to the vehicles they have misconceptions about. Most SUV drivers seem to think that because they have 4wd, they are immune to the laws of physics. Therefore you will see people cruising at 70MPH on the sleet-covered freeway. One slight mistake, and they are in the ditch, unable to get out even with 4wd. Frankly, it's a valuable lesson for them. Further proof: I had a girl ask me one time if putting sandbags in her trunk would help her in the snow. She drove a Dodge Neon.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 02:25 PM   #36
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Well, like I said....

Yes, lane splitting is legal where I am. I unfortunately live in California for the time being. The law here states that we can go up to 25 Mph faster than the cars we're splitting lanes between, and that we can't split lanes if the cars are going more than 25 Mph... effectively limiting us to 50 MPH while splitting lanes. 25 Mph faster than traffic is, in my opinion pushing the envelope whilst lane-splitting, but I was in a hurry last night. Unfortunately, I often see bikes doing more like 50 Mph faster than the cars, and I always wonder how they think they're going to avoid an accident. If I'd been doing 55 mph last night I'd have been a smear on that guys bumper.
Old 03-01-2001, 02:29 PM   #37
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: I agree... (with most of it)

Living in California, which is apparently Yuppie Mecca, I see ALL KINDS of SUV out there, and 98% of them have never been off the pavement, or even dirty. What's really fun however, is to drive over the pass in the Siskyous to my parent's house in Oregon, and see all the Sucky Useless Vehicles in the ditches for the very reason you give. SUV's GO better in the snow, but they don't STOP or TURN any better.
Old 03-01-2001, 02:36 PM   #38
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default That's funny

because it's always the car drivers telling me how dangerous they are and how bad I can get hurt. That driver should've been hunted down. Ok you won me over. Forget the legislation, vigilante justice is the only way.

Just imagine what's going through that guy's head:

"Hey, that guy's totally vulnerable! He's the only one out here who can't hurt anyone else, and he's totally unprotected! Watch this! Ha ha ha..."

Now, don't you want to kill him? Yes, do it...... Come to the dark side...

No really. Or at least hurt him really bad.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 02:39 PM   #39
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: That

COME to the Dark Side? Far too late for me.... "Once you start down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny"

Just Remember - Darth Maul RIDES.
Old 03-01-2001, 02:41 PM   #40
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default I agree 100%

That was like reading my own post. I've said that verbatim before, I'm pretty sure.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote