Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-28-2001, 03:33 PM   #11
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default I see them

look at me, then left turn in front of me on a perfect trajectory to hit me. I've made eye contact and then watched them try to kill me. It's led me to the conclusion that they have a subconscious desire to kill motorcyclists. Of course I don't believe they consciously thing "I'm going to kill that guy". I think they're vulnerable to their subconscious in the zombie-state that they drive in, and their subconscious wants me dead.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2001, 03:35 PM   #12
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default I may finally join the AMA

I've never wanted to before, and I've never thought they were out for my interests. I think I will now though.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 04:50 PM   #13
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default so what!!!

I have had more first posts than you!!! BUt seriously, this AMA things sounds good. I can't believe they get away with that kind of fine. They need to make it a $5000 fine if you ask me. To many people have pulled out right in front of me or made lane changes without even thinking about riders..
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 05:40 PM   #14
azx6nonR
Founding Member

Default Re: New AMA Initiative Against Cars

AMA is awesome! I think i'm gonna join now. Just a little request for everyone out there. I commute the same route everyday to school and at the prodding of Doc Wong, I now wave to all cagers as I pass them (with all 5 fingers!). By doing that, rather than getting upset they often think highly of that "courteous" biker. I've seen the same people on my one lane commute route and now when they see me (or any other biker), they give me space in the lane to pass. They are trying to kill us, but hey...at least this way some of em won't hate us. So next time you pass a cager, WAVE with all 5 fingers!
azx6nonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 06:32 PM   #15
scurvybilgerat
Founding Member

I'd like to see some contact info as well, but I've heard from various sources that email campaigns are nice and all, but an old fashioned snail-mail letter or phone call hold more weight with politicians. The thinking seems to be that it's just "too easy" to send an email, and if you really cared, you'd spend the big bucks for the stamp and envelope. Yeah, this is scary thinking, but if they really think that way, and you really want your voice to count, after you send that email, print it out and mail it. Just my 34 cents worth....
scurvybilgerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 08:57 PM   #16
bbunting
Founding Member

Been there,

My wife has a plate in her wrist from a TOURIST who turned left from the center lane and ran us over, if my now gone Black Bird had not wedged under their front wheels the punk would have driven off. Dragged us 20 feet just to try and get away. No fines, and the little punk flew home with out any charges, the rental car folks did pony up and pay the bills for a while. That was over a year ago. Just to prove I'm a dip , I get the Bird fixed and am still recovering from a stupid assed-phone using- SUV driving who pulled into my lane with her Ford, runs me over on HWY 280 just before the HWY 84 - Woodside RD exit, shatters my collor and drives off leaving me for dead in the middle of a 4 lane freeway durring the morning commute. At lest they found your SOB, the got away. Me, I am an AMA member and have been for years. They, we, do some stupid but over the years there has been allota good done too.

P.S. Traded the Bird for a 996, I had never recked a street bike before these two incidents, other than the stupid fall off, pick it up and ride home stuff. figured the Bird was cursed, little did I know it is the cage drives that are zombies But, back in the day I wadded a bunch of race bikes thou.... I'm a Gettin too old and rattle on.
bbunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 11:36 PM   #17
stagnation
Founding Member

Unfortunately, this is only a small part of the big picture. It's pretty much going after people after the fact. Don't get me wrong, I applaud what the AMA is doing. I've been a member for a year and just renewed. The problem is that it takes so little to get a license in the US. All you need is a fourth graders understanding of traffic laws and very basic coordination. Any fool can get a license, and once they're licensed, that's all they need to go out and buy a Ford Behemouth or any other monster vehicle. Also, the distractions in a vehicle are becoming absurd. Phones, radios, food, etc. Even now they're starting to put DVD's, computers and more in cars, turning them into offices. These distractions are killing us. Once you try and curtail these kinds of things you get public outrage about how they can't have their precious cell phones taken away from them when they drive. Until people actually learn how to drive instead of wrecklessly meander down the road in a car, they will forever cut in front of us motorcyclists.
stagnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 12:36 AM   #18
cbrf4pilot
Founding Member

This sounds great, I had a close call this summer with a double trailered big rig from a national trucking industry try to kill me by doing that left turn in front of me crap. Great thing was there was a cop in front of him and he lost his cdl( it was on probation for a separate violation). He was caught fixing his books in front of the cop and got fined for the left turn in front of oncoming traffic and got chewed out for a while by the cop. The trucker wanted to go to court to avoid the fines and save his cdl, he never showed up. Oh well another reckless jerk off the road. This all happened on the clearest summer day at 10 minutes til noon. His quote was " I didnt see ya from 50 feet away or farther" then "Well I saw ya and dont know why I never slowed down, stopped, or yeilded to ya" and "wow , shouldve seen the smoke coming off of your tires as you stopped by my trailer tires" Got some powerful brakes there huh?". So he burnt himself with his own comments . And scared the hell outta me .
cbrf4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 04:40 AM   #19
hamatsu
Founding Member

I don't think this initiative goes far enough. I didn't read anything in there about long-term jail sentences. If someone actually hates motorcyclists or just doesn't give a sh#t do you think a $200 fine and a suspension for 6 months is going to dissuade them from being as$holes in the first place ? How many people do you think that are driving around right now are driving on a suspended liscense ? There was a drunk driver in my town 2 years ago that killed a lady and hadn't had a valid liscense for over 5 years ! I am not and probably never will be a member of the AMA and I've been riding for over 20 years on the street. Something like this should have been lobbied to the Senate and Congress about a decade ago. It's the classic, "too little too late", kind of thing that the AMA always seems to do. Just like the screw ups with the Edmonson vs. BOD debacle of a few years ago.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 06:03 AM   #20
averagefreak
Founding Member

Default Re: Cage Wrecklessness

I applaud the AMA for its attempts to enforce strict penalties on mental cagers, but the core of this problem is simply bad driving. More severe penalties will simply just screw the cager over more and does not directly attack the core... which again, is bad driving... I think license suspension is the best part of the new proposed penalties but my biggest turnaround for "dumb ass" cage driving was also having to pay for classes that occupied my saturday out of my own pocket... so keep up the work AMA!
averagefreak is offline   Reply With Quote