Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-27-2001, 12:55 PM   #1
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Donate Today or Pay Tomorrow

/WHINE/ The first five years of MO, I worked every single day without a day off, usually 14-20 hours per day. /WHINE/

I can't, and won't, work this hard any more. We need to have a normal-sized staff and people to make MO better.

MO is the best site on the 'Net for motorcycle info, possibly the best anywhere, on- or off-line. Our content is certainly volumous enough to fill up several print magazine per month, and all this costs money. While it's cool that we serve about two million individual readers per year and tower over the publishing industry, I've come to see that this is really just a liability, not a feature...
blip is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2001, 01:05 PM   #2
bimota
Founding Member

Default Just go to pay

Why not just go directly to being a pay site? As of last I knew, counting on charity to support a business isn't usually successful. I get the idea from your reluctance to become a pay site that you're not sure it's going to work. It seems to me if you thought it was going to make the big money, I'd be paying to write this right now.
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:07 PM   #3
granny
Founding Member

It really is a good site and the idea of donating is much like the system used by public radio and television. The folks that feel strongly about the site can help insure that it exists for everyone (supporters and slackers alike). How about this, every one reading this that owns a pair of leathers surely can afford to chip in something (say a tenth of the cost of a dryfit under liner that lasts how long, a year?).
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:10 PM   #4
wheat
Founding Member

I for one would like to see these guys make it, so I ponied up my $11.94.

A purely online bike magazine is a good thing, and these guys have been writing some great stuff for years. So send some scratch their way!
wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:11 PM   #5
TeamProBono
Founding Member

Brent, et al.:

First, I only registered so I could reply to this new item.

Um, I disagree with your comment, Brent. M.O. is NOT the best source on the internet for motorcycle information. You are a good one, but don't get carried away.

If M.O. shifts to a pay-to-play model, you can say goodbye to most of your readers. Don't even believe your own poll re: how many would pay if they had to pay to use the site. With the sole exception of product reviews (bikes and gear), there is NOTHING on M.O. that is not available on other websites (I'll spare you the naming of names). In fact, most of those reviews eventually do show up somewhere else. Note that I'm not making any criticisms about the quality of M.O.'s articles and reviews. And, if it comes to subscription-only service, M.O. will, sad to say it, bite the dust. (Just in case, I've got first dibs on buying whichever laptop computer is the newest...oh, and a Palm Pilot, too...)

The fact of the matter is that being a content provider on the internet is a tough way to run a business (but you already knew that). In fact, even being a portal is tough as several large search engines found out the hard way.

I don't have any answers for you and I also have nothing but hope for your continued success (or at least existence). However, regardless of what your financial analyst/accountant is telling you, subscription service will kill M.O.
TeamProBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:12 PM   #6
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Just go to pay

Actually, this was done not out of fear of failure, but as a stepping-stone into the full pay model that you reference. Also, setting up this system makes going to the Pay-for-MO model much easier -- both technically speaking on our end and for the user who will see that an online transaction through MO will not be catastrophic.

Keep in mind that there is also some advertising revenue and that MO is not a charity organization, though our paychecks often make it feel that way.

Thanks for the intelligent post -- this goes to all of you who think before you type
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:20 PM   #7
TeamProBono
Founding Member

Just curious, Brent:

Where does the "two million individual readers per year" figure come from? Is that unique page hits per year? Because that's only 166,667 per month which is in the "decent" magazine territory. And, if it doesn't distinguish "unique" hits over the course of the year, or, all the people who refuse to accept cookies (like me up until registering today), then the number of readers drops precipitously. For instance, I probably hit M.O. about 20 times a month, roughly 240 times a year. Probably a lot of your readers are like that. Even if we only did it 10 times a month, you'd get all those page hits from a mere 1,389 readers.

Just curious, you know? As they say,

"Their are lies, their are damn lies, and then there are statistics." (I forget the source, sounds like Twain or Rogers.)
TeamProBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:30 PM   #8
wwalkersd
Founding Member

I feel your pain, Brent. Been there, done that, and it's no fun, and it'd be especially so at a company that isn't likely to have a multi-billion dollar IPO.

But a paid subscription based web site? Bang, you're dead. Allow me to give the example of financial site thestreet.com. It started out all free, then went to all pay, and has now backed off to mostly free, with a companion pay site (thestreetpro.com). I think MO's great, but I doubt there's enough depth and breadth at MO to divide it up this way. Besides, your typical motorcyclist is way less likely to pay for something than your typical investor.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:37 PM   #9
s1_buell
Founding Member

I would have to agree with the previous comment. When I first got the internet MO was the first thing I checked everyday. That is no longer the case. There are other sites out there. MO used to race Buells also. That was a big draw for me because I ride I Buell. If I have to pay I will just go to other sites. Sorry Brent. I really like your site, just not enough to pay for it. I hope you the best in the future and hope your idea makes you money. It just will not be with my money.

Nick

s1_buell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:39 PM   #10
bimota
Founding Member

Default Site Stats

I too am very curious about your numbers for the site. I personally visit about 10 times during the course of a working day, more if there's nothing going on. That means I account for about 3500 hits a year. How do you know it's me each time? Obviously I'm "bimota" from my workstation, but from home, a different workstation, or a friend's house; I'd seem to be a different user (I only log in at work). Two million always seemed a little high to me given the number of registered users I see.
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote