Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-28-2001, 06:53 AM   #81
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Donate Today or Pay Tomorrow

I don't have to pay to breath air, but you can bet I'll about it if somebody says I have to start paying. Does that make me cheap (if so I really don't care).

This is not solely something on the net, but prevalent in our society. The same thing happens when people find out they suddenly have to pay for something that was free before. The print mags always cost money, and you could always just buy single issues, or get subscriptions that save money.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2001, 06:58 AM   #82
stevegrab
Founding Member

Good point. I also say that regardless of content, you can't compare MO and a print mag. You guys probably are the best site on the web (a little slow on news sometimes, but tons more content (reviews, tests, etc) than any other online site (like 2wf.com or amasuperbike.com).

But you are not a magazine, or at least you should say an online magazine. Until you publish your stuff in print, and distribute it to people around the world, you are not having to deal with a lot of the costs that other "magazines" do. That is part of the reason people continue to think it should be free, like the majority of other websites.
Old 02-28-2001, 07:05 AM   #83
blip
Founding Member

Long overdue? Useless pile of subjective crap?

Neither of those are true.

Everyone except baker will get to see the follow-up story soon. Baker gets redirected to an anger management web site

blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 07:12 AM   #84
stevegrab
Founding Member

More timely than the print mags, really? Where is your open class sportbike shootout (R1/GSXR100/929/ZX9R)??? I just started reading my latest issue of Motorcyclist, and they have that review in it. (I think it is the March issue.) And I didn't even start reading it the day it came in the mail (over a week ago).

And what about that fiasco with the World Supersport shootout, delay after delay after delay.

I'm sorry to sound so negative (in many of my posts). I really do like your site, have followed it for years (dating back to my first bike which I bought based on the Frugal Flyers story from 95). I enjoy the reviews you have, they are on par with the print magazines.

But I do find fault with some of your reasoning and the claims you make about MO are just plain FALSE in some cases. That's hard to swallow when you're asking me to give you money.

PS The reason that 90% of your traffic is the reviews is because that is the stuff you provide that other online sites don't do (or don't do as much of).
Old 02-28-2001, 07:14 AM   #85
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: Questions about the other 95% for Blip

Blip,

I think I agree with you. The sportbike stuff is fine for those that care about that small slice of the performance pie. But, I think you will agree that very few sportbikes spend little if any time on the track. Sure would be nice to get a feel for the same bikes out in the real world.

I'd sure like to see you increase you touring and street riding content. That's the area where I spent all of my time. Hey if you need some help or don't want to do the riding...I'm in So. Cal.!!!

A Dyno is a must have device for anyone doing any testing.

Hey I rode a Honda Spree scooter during high school.. 12,000 miles on that thing going 22 MPH!!!

Let me know when I can "donate."

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 07:19 AM   #86
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Gone Within Two Years!?

2wf.com may have gone bankrupt some time ago, but they are back again posting things. Granted, nothing but small news items like many other sites.

Blip, I have to say some of the same things Bimota says, I don't mean to make it sound like you suck, or I dislike you guys or the site. Quite the opposite, I do wish you luck, and will do my best to support your site in these tough times.
Old 02-28-2001, 07:25 AM   #87
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Questions about the other 95% for Blip

Steve -- we spent less than a half percent of gross revenues last year on racetracks. And we got the dyno the year before, so it cost us nothing last year.

And no, the Standard test won't be at the racetrack. If you don't believe me, look at all our other standard tests. We will go to the drag strip (which is $50/bike, in case you were wondering), as I believe that the 60-foot acceleration time is significant -- it's the number that'll tell you if you can smoke your buddy off the line from light-to-light.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 07:29 AM   #88
minime
Founding Member

TiCanoe,

It wasn't a complaint so much as it made us realize what others go through every year. We felt their plight and opened the door for a conversation on the topic.

Believe me, we still ride when it rains. One of my personal favorite rides was a few years ago, with my dad, riding into Odessa, Texas in the middle of the most incredible come-to-Jesus thunderstorm you've ever seen. We were in the second day of our yearly week-long ride and had already gone through Baker, California where it was 115 degrees in the shade and, less than 24 hours later, we were wet, miserable, looking for anyplace to tuck in for a few hours -- and loving every damn minute of it.

That's the stuff memories are made of. We don't ride motorcycles because it's easy or socially acceptable since lord knows it's neither. We ride because we love it, hot or cold, wet or dry. Sure, we can all be pansies sometimes (guilty, myself sometimes) but at the core it's all bout just getting out there and seeing the world from two wheels. And we enjoy it, every chance we get.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 07:36 AM   #89
neoyetif2
Founding Member

How many of you have your own personal site?

Now, out of the 1% that answered yes, how many of you update your site several times a day?

Now, out of the 1% that answered yes, how many of you actually have to spend money in order to create content for your site?

Another question. How many of you work?

Now, (hopefully a lot more than 1% answered yes, and if not, we know why people are complaining!) how many of you provide a service at your work?

Do you get paid to provide that service?

Do you provide better service when you get paid more?

There are free print magazines out there. Do any of you read them? Do any of you pay for print magazines?

The days of the Internet being some strange Communist offspring are over people. I know several web graphic artist that are looking for jobs because they worked for a free website that had to lay them off because banner ads don't work. All of these layoffs are hurting our economy now. Sites the size of MO must be pay sites if they want to continue. All of these "great free sites" will do the same. What CEO in their right mind would provide a service and not want money? This is Capitalism folks!

If you want a great free site -- build your own!

(send me an email and I will give you qoute on how much I charge to make web sites
neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 07:48 AM   #90
stevegrab
Founding Member

That open class shootout is in April issue of Motorcyclist (corrected based on somebody mentioning the jab taken at MO in Tear-Offs of that same issue).