Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Donate Today or Pay Tomorrow (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/364-donate-today-pay-tomorrow.html)

Lincoln 02-28-2001 05:32 AM

Too many good FREE motorcycle sites out there

Sorry, but there are just too many excellent bike sites out there FOR FREE that i could easily switch too without missing a beat: CycleWorld.com, Dirtrider.net, About.com, Off-road.com, RoadracingWorld.com, MotorcycleDaily.com, Motorcyclenews.com, MCnews etc. etc. etc.....i think it would be a disaster for MotorcycleOnline if you started charging, and could possibly put you out of business.

Twitch 02-28-2001 05:34 AM

Re: Catch 22?

Well if you notice all the .com's are dying out, thatÂ’s because of free surfing. So would you agree free surfing will continue(long term time frame)?

mwyoung 02-28-2001 05:52 AM

Re: Donate Today or Pay Tomorrow

While you have a good site with some useful information, I absolutely will not pay or donate to use it. If you can't conceive of a useful business model that will allow you to stay in business then I see absolutely no value in what you offer. Considering the number of print publications that offer free online access I just can't justify supporting you. It's unfortunate, because I've been reading your articles since the beginning. I just can't believe that you can't find funding from sources other than your subscribers.

baker 02-28-2001 05:58 AM

Re: Too many good FREE motorcycle sites out there

true,

also try bikepics.com or bikemovies.com for loads and loads of cool mpegs (FOR FREE!!).

baker 02-28-2001 06:11 AM

Re: Exhibit "A"

jeez man, lighten up. I am just joking, having a bit of fun and you want to decapitate me!!!!!!!

I think you need to go and see a shrink matey.

or else checkout the site www.uptightweirdoheadtheballpsycho's.com

If the site does go pay I'd pay just to reply to your mails and annoy you. Chill out bro, peace on earth and all that jazz...................cya

blip 02-28-2001 06:20 AM

Re: Questions about the other 95% for Blip

I must be missing something, Philip. Our FZ-1 test wasn't at a racetrack, nor were two out of the three shootouts we did this year. The sportbikes shootouts, a minority of the total shootouts, are done at the track and are geared towards the sportbikes enthusiast.

Similarly, the VTX test today wasn't at a racetrack, though we will dyno it when we get it. Our Dyno was $30,000, and no one complains about dyno numbers. That sounds like a lot, but it was a one-time fee for something we constantly use every week. While I see your point, some form of quantitative measurement(s) are needed, and the costs of those quantitative tools pales (greatly!) in comparison to the overhead costs of running a magazine. Conversely, that means they're highly cost effective measuring tools that significantly enhance our testing abilities.

Anyway, I guess you don't like the sportbike tests. We do more non-sportbike tests, we are trying to cater to the whole market (well, our touring content has been weak for a few years), so let the sportbike squids have their tests!

That said, it sure would be a lot of fun to take a dozen scooters to the go-cart racetrack and get a bunch of our pals to play racer for the day! (See, we're incouragable!)

caderider 02-28-2001 06:29 AM

-=I can't stand throwing more money at a thing that sits on a desk in my spare room that has these frigging colorful pipes come on after 20 minutes!!!!!=-

If you don't want it, let me have it. I can make use of it :)

Brian

triumph3 02-28-2001 06:35 AM

Sounds like a decent idea. Just curious though.... is it going to go to a pay site before we get to see the long overdue sequel of the 600 shootout?

baker 02-28-2001 06:42 AM

who cares, the first part was a pile of useless subjective crap anyway.......

stevegrab 02-28-2001 06:50 AM

Re: Questions about the other 95% for Blip

Two things.

First the FZ-1 test, you told me yourself (I can find the post on your site if desired) that the FZ-1 test was orchestrated by Yamaha, and the riding route and posing for pictures (which I took exception with since you mentioned "a lack of time for testing) was all planned by them. So you didn't take in on the track because Yamaha did not plan it. You trying to tell me if/when you do a full test/comparo of the FZ1 (comparo to Bandit 1200, ZRX1200) you won't take them on the track? I highly doubt that (unless the sole reason is bad weather).

Second you say that 2 of the 3 shootouts this year were not on the track, then you explain that the sportbikes are done at the track. Well that explains it, the World Supersport shootout was at the track, but the other 2 (2001 H-D FXSTD Deuce vs, BMW R1200 C Phoenix AND Honda Gold Wing vs. BMW K1200 LT) were not at the track. Well gee whiz, who would do those shootouts at the track.

PS Just what is "the comparatively little cost of racetracks"? Could you give us a percentage of your total costs spent on track, drag strip, other specialized facility rentals for testing (I'll give you the dyno, as that is a one time expense spread out over years).