Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-27-2001, 03:23 PM   #31
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Gone Within Two Years!?

2wf.com already went bankrupt!

CycleWorld.com doesn't have comparison reviews, and when they do come fully online, I doubt they'll beat their own print mag out by two or three months with their best content. Same with Motorcyclist. Motorcyclenews.com is a UK site, and a fine one (though their main homepage image is broken now), but not American and they don't test the same bikes we do, thus the bikes/products that 88% of our readers will be buying.

There are many fine specialty sites like svrider.com, but, again, the point I was making is: where will you get the latest, greatest bike shootouts in an unbiased doesn't-run-through-the-ad-department-sanitizing manner? svrider.com? superbike.it? yzf-r1-forum.com? rc51.net? I don't think so. All fine sites, none of which can compete with MO.

Further, none of which can afford to serve the kind of traffic we do with reliability, so maybe going fee and scattering 85% of our traffic to other sites and swamping them should be part of the plan. svrider.com is down right now, too...

As I said above 90% of our traffic is for reviews, and I don't see any decent competition.

Anyway, Bimota, I'm at a loss as to why you read MO, as you always like to point out that you think we suck. That said, when we finally get around to a sportbike shootout with a Bimota (that we buy, as they're defunct with no press fleet), if we are a subscription site, I'd bet $11.94 that you'll cough up the cash just so you can make sure we know how much we still suck! Unless the Bim wins, then, at least for a day, you'll like MO.

blip is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2001, 03:31 PM   #32
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Go Nonprofit if you want people to donate... I

An interesting idea, seeing as how we also own www.motorcycle.org

If it's legal (we'll ask our attorneys) would others go for this as well?
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 03:35 PM   #33
Wolvie
Founding Member

Default Exhibit "A"

Dear MO,

The above is a perfect example of why I would not pay to be here.

While I do not in any way support censorship, the unsolicited flames as well as the obvious inattention to facts that mark so many of the posts here degrades the very product you are trying to sell.

Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 03:42 PM   #34
Jackson
Founding Member

Default Re: Donate Today or Pay Tomorrow

I would be glad to pay a subscrition fee for your product. Unfortunatly most people who use the net have learned that they do not have to pay for information, or for that matter much of anything. They are "cheap".
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 03:43 PM   #35
bimota
Founding Member

Default I think you got me a little wrong...

I don't think you guys suck. I don't believe I've said anything like that. I may complain a little... And I don't honestly expect you to put Bimotas in your reviews till they get revived by someone who pulls their head out of their a$# and creates a press fleet. You're the best site out there. And one day, I will get around to paying for it; even if I said I wouldn't. Sorry if I seem a little down on you. I think some of your assumptions about your chances and the current business environment on the internet are too optimistic, but that's as far as it goes. Anyway, I think you are going down a very hard road at a hard time in terms of selling content. I realize it may be your only choice. Really blip, best of luck to all of you. I hope it makes you rich. Then you can tell me how you Bimota is...

cycleworld.com does do comparison reviews. I've seen them. Ask around. I don't think I was having a flashback. Granted, they don't have you guy's spiffy archive.

P.S. I felt sure you would point out how much of rc51.net's content is stolen from sites such as yours.
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:00 PM   #36
bluedot
Founding Member

What consideration will be given to those that donate ?

(in the event you go pay soon)

I'd really rather you just go pay (for the reasons you mention)

but if you need help, I'm sure I can come up with something.
bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:01 PM   #37
sqidbait
Founding Member

>possibly the best anywhere, on- or off-line

While I'll give you that MO is one of the better

online sites, it doesn't compare to print mags

like MCN or the Brit mag "Ride". Sorry.

Now this doesn't mean that I won't subscribe

to MO, but I'm personally interested in seeing

if MO starts to do more in depth real world product

evaluations (as I've posted elsewhere. )

My litmus test is going to be the upcoming ZR7+

others review. If MO can give me information

that I can't find elsewhere, I certainly don't

mind ponying up a couple of bucks...

-- Michael
sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:15 PM   #38
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: I think you got me a little wrong...

RE: Content stealing. Seems we deal with that daily now. One more cost of doing business: the lawyers to protect our work product. Today, some dork in Canada reprinted our 600 test and told us it wasn't a copyright violation. Sigh. He'll lose in California court, and there'll be a nice arrest warrant for him next time he tries to cross the border... but, you're correct, there are zillions of sites that take our content and republish it, it's lame.

Anyway, we're more on the same page than either of us seem to think: I agree we'll lose most of our traffic. We're shooting to retain 15%, or about 300,000 per year, which is reasonable I think, especially if the content gets better...
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:29 PM   #39
two_wheels
Founding Member

Default Re: pay or dont pay...no middle ground

you either have to go pay, or no pay...this donation idea will not work...at least not to the point of providing any real funds compaired to the pay system........
two_wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 04:30 PM   #40
ibernie
Founding Member

Why don't you publish your financials...

or

If it is such a financial strain then I will buy your website for $1.00 and you won't have to worry about it anymore....

First you said register...So I did

what have you done with all of the information gathered from registered users?

Now you want a "donation". That is a terrible way to run a buisness. Just set a subscription price. If it is cheap enough people will pay if it is too expensive then you will join the dot com graveyard. That's the way it works. Good luck! It is obvious you will need it!
ibernie is offline   Reply With Quote