Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-27-2001, 01:34 PM   #21
Hilts
Founding Member

Default Re: Stepping-stone

If this is a stepping stone to the full pay model, it seems like you are trying to get donations now, only to charge us yet again in the near future. Will the donations I make be credited toward the annual subscription that I'm sure you will eventually implement?

Just wondering,

Hilts
Hilts is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2001, 01:34 PM   #22
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: Donate Today or Pay Tomorrow

Need anyone to telecommute for you on the East Coast?

(Caval)Caderider
Old 02-27-2001, 01:35 PM   #23
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Just go to pay

With 5,000 archived stories, you can't just "turn it on" and have a pay site. It's not that easy!

In fact, it's incredibly complex, and takes a lot of time. A pay site is months and months away.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:47 PM   #24
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Stepping-stone

Yes. Calvin just came up with a solution to do that for registered users automatically, but the point of the Amazon site is that we can't see who donates, so if we do go fee, and you have donated but not chosen to reveal yourselves to us, we'll work with that on a case-by-case basis. We can see in our logs if you clicked through to the pay site, and it is supposed to be an honor system, so we'll probably take most people's words on it (if they did click through).
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:51 PM   #25
bMw
Founding Member

Default Go Nonprofit if you want people to donate... I'll be first.

I'll donate if I can get a tax deduction. And I'll donate a hell of a lot more than if I had to pay a subscription. You could work this many ways: set up a "Virtual Museum" (ala Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum), make donations tax-deductible, use those donations for "operating expenses." Or, represent yourself as a "lobbying" or "research" organization on behalf of all motorcyclists worldwide, ...
bMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 01:58 PM   #26
Hilts
Founding Member

A quote from your Online PayPage, "By donating, you just might be able to ward off the attack of the Pay-for-MO monster. "

Blip, I take it to mean from your above post that my donation will be used to help you survive while you implement your pay site, not ward off the attackl Pay-for-MO monster.
Old 02-27-2001, 02:01 PM   #27
Hilts
Founding Member

Sorry Blip, I just saw your answer to my post above.
Old 02-27-2001, 02:04 PM   #28
SB8RC
Founding Member

Default Re: The longer you stay away from pay, the better

Harley success... uuhhhh I don't call an air cooled outdated 4 stroke success. When you got 1600 or whatever size engine they make you should at least be able to have some power, oh and noise isn't power, either is 900lbs and you can't turn into bends. All for just 20000 dollars you mean people acually buy this type of thing.
SB8RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 02:07 PM   #29
bimota
Founding Member

Default Gone Within Two Years!?

All gone within two years? You're kidding right? What about motorcyclenews.com, cycleworld.com, and 2wf.com? Or do sites like Cycle World not count, because they have a magazine (and a twins and liter class shootout)? Is www.superbike.it going off line too? Or does it not count? Have you talked to them about this? As for bike information and reviews, there will always be sites like www.rc51.net or www.yzf-r1-forum.com where I can get more bike specfic information for free than you'll ever have. Blip man, you really went a little too doom and gloom on this one.
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 02:17 PM   #30
mjwilliams
Founding Member

Default Re: The longer you stay away from pay, the better

Here we go again !!!!!!!
mjwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote