Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Donate Today or Pay Tomorrow (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/364-donate-today-pay-tomorrow.html)

blip 02-28-2001 09:53 AM

Re: Exhibit "A"

Huh? We don't delete posts unless they're profane or hatefull. What would have us do? This month, I deleted one post, a profane one about the death of a legend, but that's it.

I like cruisers. We spend considerable time and money testing cruisers. We review them fairly. Should we delete posts that _you_ don't like? Would that make us cruiser-friendly? I think it'd make us censor-happy.

Besides, if you find a post that sucks, you can moderate it down and then you won't have to look at it.

DataDan 02-28-2001 10:45 AM

Re: Donate Today or Pay Tomorrow

It's in development. I understand that Friedman is in charge, and the site will include content from all the Emap bike books, Dirt Rider, Cruiser, Sport Rider, etc.

I wish them well. After all, just as one can never have enough horsepower, neither can one have enough bike sites to surf. I just found their comments a little snippy, and I wonder how they plan to turn a profit.

GSparky 02-28-2001 11:13 AM

MO; take a leap of faith. You don't get something(money) for nothing(free) and my guess is you will do well beyond your expectations. Your product is words and pictures and if you do your job right to give us the quality; people will come and bring their money. Hopefully; you can then afford to do a better job for us with more technical articles; how to features which I really enjoy but don't see here, and more variety of updates. I also think the advertisers will turn around when they begin to realize you don't need them. Human nature works that way ya know.

bMw 02-28-2001 11:16 AM

So far, you

Go for it, www.motorcycle.org ...

Neal 02-28-2001 11:25 AM

Of your last 9 stories,3 were of interest to me and only one was new to me......while I enjoy your site I really am having a problem convincing myself to pay for it

bMw 02-28-2001 11:31 AM

I meant to say...

So far you've got a 100% success ratio here: see three users out of three said they'd go for it if they get a deduction. I'm serious...

blip 02-28-2001 12:07 PM

I keep posting this here: News, racing news, and much of news.motorcycle.com is a tiny subset or our readership. It's not our primary focus. Thus, posting things like this topic here in news.mo tends to skew the results, since 90% of the readership isn't here in news.mo, doesn't care about lap times or daily news.

Yes, there are many freebie news sites out there. The difference here at news.mo is the volume of people here to discuss this stuff. Regardless, we don't try and compete in the news arena. The print magazine CycleNews is best at that.

There are no US magazines posting multi-bike reviews, which is our primary readership goal, and is what most people read MO for. It's what most people read any motorcycle magazine for.

Note that news sites and racing sites are puny compared to MO. Not even mightily funded Quokka, even with Olympics and many other deals, could surpass MO and our motorcycle-review-driven traffic, in size. There's no future in the US racing/news business model, but the problem is the few race fans that exist in the US are highly vocal and tend to complain a lot when we don't have live results. So, from a business perspective, covering races seems more important than it is, and the decision to drop the 1% of readership who generate 33% of complaints is an easy one.

That said, I ran our own in-house Pro Roadrace team for three years, spent hundreds of thousands on it and put in thousands of hours, so don't think I'm not a race enthusiast. I am, I love motorcycle roadracing. That's why we even bother with it at all.

For what it's worth, we've been sending the esteemed novelist Colin MacKellar to GPs (WSB last year). You can imagine the costs of flying someone around to the GPs and putting them up in sold-out hotels. It's a lot, and this year, in their infinite wisdom, the (blithering idiots) at Dorna declined to allow us to cover the GPs.

World Superbike is great, AMA Superbike isn't much

smarter than Dorna, so Glenn LeSanto will be at every World Superbike, and that'll be our core racing coverage focus this year. Focusing on one series allows us to be the best in that one series...

VFRider 02-28-2001 12:09 PM

I'll only pay if you promise Danielle stays!

BradGross 02-28-2001 12:09 PM

As soon as Amazon accepts a payment, you folks are getting the 12 bucks and here's why:

1. I don't read the flames. Or for that matter most of the posts. Now if you were to put a message board where I could get constructive help or opinions from everyone, I would read it.

2. Flat out I believe that you folks give the most honest opinions about what you folks ride and use. I subscribe to a few motorcycle mags but sometimes I have a problem slicing the facts from the bullsh*t that was bought with ad dollars.

3. I am hoping that MO will review motorcycles that everyone rides. Expand your articles on maintaining motorcycles for us beginning wrenchheads. There are so many possibilities, its mind boggling. I'm hoping for a cafe racer review (Speed3, Lightning, Guzzi V11, Monster.)

Yes there are free sites and I will still go to those sites, but over the years MO has been consistent, timely, and honest.

Good luck.

Now if only amazon would work...

Jackson 02-28-2001 12:09 PM

Thank you for proving my point.