Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-23-2006, 02:20 AM   #1
Tadgh
Registered Member

Default Re: The Speeding Game

Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2006, 02:30 AM   #2
hoopman
Registered Member

Well, my personal strategy involves cresting a small hill, giving a bit of throttle to the ol' 10r, doing a little wheelie, seeing the cop and then nailing the brakes.

I think my plan has some room for improvement.
hoopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:38 AM   #3
Tadgh
Registered Member

now that i have read it; there are a couple of things that lesser moraled speeders might do. By loosening the screws holding on your licence a touch, the licence tends to vibrate as you approach warp factor 9 foiling the attempts to photograph said plate. however when stopped the plate is perfectly normal. you have to be prepared not to stop for the cops though. a helpful rider behind you will tell you if your screw loosening has the plate vibrating at the optimum rate

looking at your piece if you are generally only doing 70mph in a 55 zone thats not really speeding. the cops over here wouldnt look at you here til at least 85..bless them.. but europe generally has a higher ratio of sports bikes so they dont stand out and the weather and laws would mean we are all generally helmeted and well amoured so you dont tend to look like a total clown or danger to everyone
Old 05-23-2006, 02:40 AM   #4
Tadgh
Registered Member

maybe if you wheelie up to the crest and stand up you will be able to see over to spot if there are cops on the other side ...and adjust your speed accordingly
Old 05-23-2006, 03:01 AM   #5
bmwdude
Founding Member

Amen on the deer comment! They are an absolute menace on the roads here! In fact only short while ago if you recall, that "Stay'n safe" fellow from rider magazine was killed in a deer collision.

I recommend that everyone take a tip from Ted Nugent, kill'm & Grill'm. Then repeat.
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:07 AM   #6
eddyline
Founding Member

Preferably with a bow or a rifle....
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:11 AM   #7
eddyline
Founding Member

Well, nobody gets ticketed for speed down here regularly(So Cal) unless you're on surface streets doing 80. You really have to be standing out, and since everyone speeds here(PCH in the early am hours is usually 75+ in a 50 mph zone), it's not too tough to avoid a ticket.

That said, if you ARE going substantially faster than the cages, you're likely to pull down a pair of awards: one for speeding, and the other for reckless.

I've been able to hold my speed down by riding a bike that can't get there....
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:20 AM   #8
bmwdude
Founding Member

I've had so many close calls that I'll stomp'm to death if I have to. Good point though...
Old 05-23-2006, 03:33 AM   #9
Richard_Ellis
Registered Member

Many cops I have spoken to said that often the first thing that attracts their attention is noise: and a car or bike with a loud exhaust is guaranteed to draw their attention, even if they are just crusing around not looking for speeders. Same thing with people screaming through the revs: it just makes them look. Especially relevant when they are just crusing the suburbs.

Of course this is a little different if they are perched on a freeway doing nothing but looking for speeders, but its worth noting: whack the bike in a gear so the engine is pulling the fewest revs, to minimise noise.

One could also try another hypothesis I have thought up (but not tried): if one keeps the bike in 1st or 2nd and pulls a near vertical wheelie past the cops, the exhaust will be aiming at the ground, perhaps creating a bike with the audio version of stealth

A few other things:

- The obvious: if you are coming near bridges, hills, crests in the road etc behind which they can hide, slow down.

- if you are in a car and its busy traffic, change your rear profile: ie they see you whiz past in the traffic, and by the time they catch up they may not be able to determine which car was yours...doing things like turning on your headlights (in many cars this will turn on the rear lights too) etc can make them not be 100% sure if it was you as the car they saw speed past didnt have rear lights on etc. All adds an element of doubt. Not sure how well this woudl work in a pack of cars with only you on a bike in the middle of it though!

- Dont weave in and out too much. They tend to be trained to look for that as its a sign of people going faster than the traffic flow - which they are trained to recognise as a dangerous activity. If you minimise weaving you minimise the attention drawn to you from a distance. If they are looking down a long stretch of oncoming road, a car or bike changing lanes frequently sticks out like a sore thumb.

Perhaps ride right on the line between lanes and you can then ride in a straight line at whatever speed you want..... (See Ghostrider for an example!)

- If its a regular road you travel, its usually not hard to find the spots they always sit. They tend to have a certain number of spots they rotate. In general in country areas they are often more interested in catching people who arent locals, so they dont tend to mind that locals know all the spots. (Im sure some locals would disagree).

- They often tend to look for speeders at the same time regularly. Ie the morning or afternoon rush, etc etc. If you know things like what time their shift changes, that can help too....out my way (Australia) they change at 7am, so any time from about 6.45 to 7.15am is a very safe time! Even if they see you do something unless they are new cops they will tend to ignore it rather than risk the paperwork meaning they clock off late.

Oh, and guys be thankful: in Victoria Australia we have a Nazi state government (I dont use that term lightly)....they book you for 4kmh+ over the limit: yes you read that right: if you do 2.5mph over the limit and the speed cameras will snap you.

And its not like the fines are small either: 2.5mph over the limit = AU$131 fine (thats US$96).

Automatic license loss for a month at 15.5mph over the limit.

And so on!

Richard_Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:53 AM   #10
bmwdude
Founding Member

Something I am truly grateful for is the fact that traffic cameras haven't caught on here yet. Between us, I'll bet when they do they won't last long. I'm betting our local rednecked bubbaphytes will make short work of them.

I'm surprised local governments can keep the things standing anywhere?