Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   The Speeding Game (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/3610-speeding-game.html)

Tadgh 05-23-2006 02:20 AM

Re: The Speeding Game

hoopman 05-23-2006 02:30 AM

Well, my personal strategy involves cresting a small hill, giving a bit of throttle to the ol' 10r, doing a little wheelie, seeing the cop and then nailing the brakes.

I think my plan has some room for improvement.

Tadgh 05-23-2006 02:38 AM

now that i have read it; there are a couple of things that lesser moraled speeders might do. By loosening the screws holding on your licence a touch, the licence tends to vibrate as you approach warp factor 9 foiling the attempts to photograph said plate. however when stopped the plate is perfectly normal. you have to be prepared not to stop for the cops though. a helpful rider behind you will tell you if your screw loosening has the plate vibrating at the optimum rate :)

looking at your piece if you are generally only doing 70mph in a 55 zone thats not really speeding. the cops over here wouldnt look at you here til at least 85..bless them.. but europe generally has a higher ratio of sports bikes so they dont stand out and the weather and laws would mean we are all generally helmeted and well amoured so you dont tend to look like a total clown or danger to everyone

Tadgh 05-23-2006 02:40 AM

maybe if you wheelie up to the crest and stand up you will be able to see over to spot if there are cops on the other side ...and adjust your speed accordingly

bmwdude 05-23-2006 03:01 AM

Amen on the deer comment! They are an absolute menace on the roads here! In fact only short while ago if you recall, that "Stay'n safe" fellow from rider magazine was killed in a deer collision.

I recommend that everyone take a tip from Ted Nugent, kill'm & Grill'm. Then repeat.

eddyline 05-23-2006 03:07 AM

Preferably with a bow or a rifle....:)

eddyline 05-23-2006 03:11 AM

Well, nobody gets ticketed for speed down here regularly(So Cal) unless you're on surface streets doing 80. You really have to be standing out, and since everyone speeds here(PCH in the early am hours is usually 75+ in a 50 mph zone), it's not too tough to avoid a ticket.

That said, if you ARE going substantially faster than the cages, you're likely to pull down a pair of awards: one for speeding, and the other for reckless.

I've been able to hold my speed down by riding a bike that can't get there....

bmwdude 05-23-2006 03:20 AM

I've had so many close calls that I'll stomp'm to death if I have to. Good point though...

Richard_Ellis 05-23-2006 03:33 AM

Many cops I have spoken to said that often the first thing that attracts their attention is noise: and a car or bike with a loud exhaust is guaranteed to draw their attention, even if they are just crusing around not looking for speeders. Same thing with people screaming through the revs: it just makes them look. Especially relevant when they are just crusing the suburbs.

Of course this is a little different if they are perched on a freeway doing nothing but looking for speeders, but its worth noting: whack the bike in a gear so the engine is pulling the fewest revs, to minimise noise.

One could also try another hypothesis I have thought up (but not tried): if one keeps the bike in 1st or 2nd and pulls a near vertical wheelie past the cops, the exhaust will be aiming at the ground, perhaps creating a bike with the audio version of stealth :)

A few other things:

- The obvious: if you are coming near bridges, hills, crests in the road etc behind which they can hide, slow down.

- if you are in a car and its busy traffic, change your rear profile: ie they see you whiz past in the traffic, and by the time they catch up they may not be able to determine which car was yours...doing things like turning on your headlights (in many cars this will turn on the rear lights too) etc can make them not be 100% sure if it was you as the car they saw speed past didnt have rear lights on etc. All adds an element of doubt. Not sure how well this woudl work in a pack of cars with only you on a bike in the middle of it though!

- Dont weave in and out too much. They tend to be trained to look for that as its a sign of people going faster than the traffic flow - which they are trained to recognise as a dangerous activity. If you minimise weaving you minimise the attention drawn to you from a distance. If they are looking down a long stretch of oncoming road, a car or bike changing lanes frequently sticks out like a sore thumb.

Perhaps ride right on the line between lanes and you can then ride in a straight line at whatever speed you want..... (See Ghostrider for an example!)

- If its a regular road you travel, its usually not hard to find the spots they always sit. They tend to have a certain number of spots they rotate. In general in country areas they are often more interested in catching people who arent locals, so they dont tend to mind that locals know all the spots. (Im sure some locals would disagree).

- They often tend to look for speeders at the same time regularly. Ie the morning or afternoon rush, etc etc. If you know things like what time their shift changes, that can help too....out my way (Australia) they change at 7am, so any time from about 6.45 to 7.15am is a very safe time! Even if they see you do something unless they are new cops they will tend to ignore it rather than risk the paperwork meaning they clock off late.

Oh, and guys be thankful: in Victoria Australia we have a Nazi state government (I dont use that term lightly)....they book you for 4kmh+ over the limit: yes you read that right: if you do 2.5mph over the limit and the speed cameras will snap you.

And its not like the fines are small either: 2.5mph over the limit = AU$131 fine (thats US$96).

Automatic license loss for a month at 15.5mph over the limit.

And so on!

bmwdude 05-23-2006 03:53 AM

Something I am truly grateful for is the fact that traffic cameras haven't caught on here yet. Between us, I'll bet when they do they won't last long. I'm betting our local rednecked bubbaphytes will make short work of them.

I'm surprised local governments can keep the things standing anywhere?

ksquid 05-23-2006 04:31 AM

Get on over to Radar Busters, say hi to Radar Roy and get you that little cordless radar/laser detector.. Used one for 2 years now. No tickets...

rsk173 05-23-2006 04:37 AM

or some lazy welfare collector will steel it.

nolaandy 05-23-2006 04:48 AM

I've been riding for almost 45 years and have one speeding ticket (1964). I was schooled by some very experienced riders.

1) Stealth. Stay away from loud pipes.

2) Appearance. If you dress like a serious commuter you really do attract less attention. Saddle bags, utilitarian clothing, no T-shirt or flip flops or shorts. Oddly enough, a high-visibility yellow or orange jacket is a stealth garment. Safety, you know. Solid color helmet.

3) Knowing the road. As mentioned above, knowing the hiding places is the best insurance. With instant-on radar, detectors are not reliable. Yes, you can go to court, but not getting the ticket to begin with is easier. Beware of unfamiliar territory.

I ride a quiet naked bike with bags and a small windshield. I always wear gear. It does indeed seem that the LEOs don't even look at me.

nolaandy 05-23-2006 04:49 AM

I've been riding for almost 45 years and have one speeding ticket (1964). I was schooled by some very experienced riders.

1) Stealth. Stay away from loud pipes.

2) Appearance. If you dress like a serious commuter you really do attract less attention. Saddle bags, utilitarian clothing, no T-shirt or flip flops or shorts. Oddly enough, a high-visibility yellow or orange jacket is a stealth garment. Safety, you know. Solid color helmet.

3) Knowing the road. As mentioned above, knowing the hiding places is the best insurance. With instant-on radar, detectors are not reliable. Yes, you can go to court, but not getting the ticket to begin with is easier. Beware of unfamiliar territory.

I ride a quiet naked bike with bags and a small windshield. I always wear gear. It does indeed seem that the LEOs don't even look at me.

bmwdude 05-23-2006 04:51 AM

I looked at the detector called a solo that looked pretty good.

Without buying a bunch of gizmos, what's the best way to mount the things so they can be easily seen/heard. (for some of us "heard" is a moot question...)

Also, has anyone had exeperience with a cheaper cordless detector?

johnnyb 05-23-2006 05:12 AM

Kick in a few hun to the Sheriff's Reelection Committee, join the Sheriff's Auxiliary Homeland Security Citizen's Task Force Against Drunk Driving For the Children, and get the special license plate frame which proclaims your good citizenship. Then drive as fast as you want. No worries.

sank 05-23-2006 05:16 AM

My personal game plan is a traffic lawyer. $300 and any ticket I've ever received just goes away. Of course, this can get expensive, but it's cheaper than insurance premium increases, and a whole lot more fun!

I even got a ticket once (in my car, actually) for doing 84mph in a 40 zone, up hill. It was a beautifully and newly paved hill, very wide and with high visibility, all except for that forest green KZ1000 county bike that was hiding in the trees on the other side of the road. She was lauging at me, said that she didn't think anybody could even go that fast up that hill. But the ticket was $284, and at that time I paid $250 to make it disappear, so it was cheaper to pay the lawyer than the fine!

YZFas 05-23-2006 05:28 AM

Eyes.

I see them sooner than they me.

mheyer 05-23-2006 05:37 AM

You are very lucky to run the roads in WV - I head out that way when I can. Nice and twisty, and the 55 mph speed limit on some of those roads are like dares (see if you can hold 55mph). I was reminded of this as I ran out to WV yesterday to do the track day at Summit Point Main. Anyway, count yourself blessed to be on those roads. Try having fun around Rockville, MD or Great Falls, VA and you'll find way too much traffic, way too many cops, and the cops are all about their "don't terrorize the people who want to be extra safe and run 5 mph below the already ridiculously low speed limit..."

caffine 05-23-2006 05:40 AM

Spy vs Spy

johnnyb 05-23-2006 05:44 AM

what kind of birth control you practice, Daddy?

ksquid 05-23-2006 05:45 AM

I just used the cordless with an ear pad speaker in the helmet.. Works great...You can get really elaborate with HUD stuff etc... But you usually have to mount it on your bike.

James_Brown 05-23-2006 05:55 AM

In general, people in Northern VA drive like sh!#. They view the speed limit as the absolute outer limits of safety and sanity and thus rarely travel that fast. 5 below is all too common.

YellowDuck 05-23-2006 06:02 AM

We sportbike riders around here have started giving each other the "thumbs up" when passing one another in opposite directions on twisty roads, if we haven't recently passed any tax collectors. And if you have seen one, you give the low, patting "keep it down" signal. Very useful.

Other than that, I just keep the speed down near the limit on the straights. What's the fun of speeding in a straight line anyway? Just increases your chances of not being able to stop for Bambi, or else Billy-Joe-Bob pulling onto the road in his rusty pickup.

Taking tight corners at or near the limit is plenty of fun, and no need to wind it up though three gears on the exit, either. Why bother? Alone on the straights I like to roll on and off the throttle a bit just to feel the torque, but that is fun at 55 - why do 80?

If you are a speed freak and feel the need to do the ton or more on a regular basis, God bless you, and please find somewhere to do it other than the public streets. Do it on the back roads and you DESERVE a ticket. Not to mention a slap upside the head.

James_Brown 05-23-2006 06:03 AM

Detectors are pretty much useless for laser speed detection devices (LIDAR). If your detector lights up with a laser warning, you've just been nailed. Laser jammers work, but their bulk makes them difficult to mount on some bikes.

seruzawa 05-23-2006 06:15 AM

It's not hard to go two years without getting a speeding ticket if you never actually ride your bike.

seruzawa 05-23-2006 06:24 AM

In Utah, Wyoming, etc we have a very special critter that is often seen on the roads and Interstates. This critter is a benefit and actually greatly decreases the chances of getting a speeding ticket. This oft seen critter is commonly known as the "Great Western Bear Bait".

Simply drive along at the speed limit and soon one of these varmints will come racing by you at 90-100 mph. Simply wait for it to get 1/2 mile ahead of you and then enjoy many long miles of high speed riding.

I-70 between Salina, Ut and the Colorado border is especially fruitful. The hypothetical rider could achieve hypothetical velocities well above 100 mph without a lot of worry.

bikervince 05-23-2006 06:32 AM

Or get yourself elected to Congress in South Dakota. Then you can drive however you want on public roads and not worry about anything.

bmwdude 05-23-2006 06:54 AM

You make a good point on tactics that no one else has mentioned.

Every morning during my commute I see the same four or five cages. A couple of them absolutely fly. Again, I need to clarify that these roads are all but empty so public endangerment is not an issue. Anyway, falling in behind one of these folks, just as far back as you can get and still see them is a great way to let them flush out the authorities and pay your road tax for you.

Actually many mornings I have one gal follow me just as soon as I pass her. I swear she waits and looks for me just so she can do this.

johnnyb 05-23-2006 07:01 AM

Kind of like a concentration camp in some ways. U wonder why since we outnumber the guards, why don't we just overpower them and take their ticket books and car keys?

bmwdude 05-23-2006 07:04 AM

Good point public roads. There are limits that we must impose on ourselves or we may all lose our right to ride. The one bad apple rule.

As for myself, all I want to do is get through my 59 mile each way commute as quick and safe as possible. I can't stress the point enough that the roads I commute on are empty except for a few other commuters, and some big rigs. I heard interstate 50 described as the road to no where. It truly is. Not like out west but as close as you can get on the east coast.

Anyway, yes, speed freaks need to go to the track. All I want to do is to commute in peace. Taking other folks and bambi into account.

SRMark 05-23-2006 07:05 AM

It is all about picking your spots and that comes from familiarity. If I have to travel the open road (interstate) I look for a pair of quick moving vehicles and try to work my way, not obnoxiously so, in between them. That gives you a shield front and back. No guarantee that both you and your shield won't be pulled over but most cops aren't greedy. Here in Maryland they do pull multiple vehicles to the shoulder when they are operating speed traps though. If I have no other traffic to mix in with I just slow down. The range of radar is too great to be able to react in time if you don't use a radar detector. I try to avoid the interstate at all cost. Around here, just to your north and east, it is more about deer and bear than speeding tickets. It is also wise to keep an eye out for kids. I have zero pity for a fool speeding any where near a residence and here in the mountains that can be just about any where. Know your roads.

johnnyb 05-23-2006 07:11 AM

anybody see couple days ago in the news, new record? 1 in 136 Americans is in jail.

In LA, they'll only incarcerate you if it's a violent offense i read. Feel free to just file those tickets away like Johnny in American Graffiti...

ksquid 05-23-2006 07:12 AM

True but I have actually detected lidar before I was in his direct line of site.. i.e. he hit the cars infront of me..but I was lucky he must of been sloppy with his aim. You are right Jammers are the way to go..

Most county mounties and city cops still use radar...Lidar is used predomintly by the State Troopers...

ksquid 05-23-2006 07:17 AM

Ya never stop do ya..:)

sarnali 05-23-2006 07:21 AM

The last ticket I got was for 89 in a 60 on my Dyna. The WSP had an airplane up and had half a dozen people pulled over within a few miles so I didn't feel too bad about it. The Officer was really decent and knocked it down to 73 in a 60. In Washington 20 over is reckless driving so he really did me a favor. I just sent them a check and figured it was the cost of business. This was on a limited access highway through some nice rolling foothills, (mountains to you east coaster's) in the middle of the day so I figured the deer would be bedded down and the Dyna sounded so good running about 5k or so, I jes' couldn't hep' my sef' ..

My stratagy for speeding is stick close to the limit in town and as fast as I feel like anywhere else. If I get a ticket I just pay the damn thing, it's not like I didn't know any better. Certain roads and certain times of day I'm more worried about deer and elk than cops anyway.

sarnali 05-23-2006 07:22 AM

Take their shoes too. That'll slow them down walking for help.........

Umm, carry on.

BrowningBAR 05-23-2006 07:23 AM

Sounds like the perfect place for Bigdx.

ksquid 05-23-2006 07:34 AM

"I-70 between Salina, Ut and the Colorado" My friend and I were thrown in jail in Grand Jct as juvenilles when his turbo RX-7 (with ground effects kit) was caught doing 130.on that stretch...Utah road block stopped us.."Down on the ground boys", a Trooper said with gun drawn...Made us wait in the back of his car with no AC in July for 2 hours till CSP picked us up. My friend lost his license paid a big fine and did some community service... I got a lecture by the judge. Dad and him were pals..Jail is pretty scary when you are 17...

bmwdude 05-23-2006 07:35 AM

Speaking of DX, where's he been? If his subscription has run out we need to take up a collection. Beyond pure entertainment, he keeps all our wives satisfied! This leaves us with the energy we need to ride our bikes.