Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-24-2006, 12:41 AM   #71
PoppySTS
Founding Member

Default Re: The Speeding Game

people who post the same thing twice burn in hell
PoppySTS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2006, 02:58 AM   #72
rwven
Registered Member

I agree on the config. of the bike. A few weeks ago I was cruising along in the far right lane (3 lane highway) at 80 in a 65 on I-95 when a "plain brown wrapper" pulled up on my right rear quarter and paced me for about 1/4 mile. I did not change may speed or in any way acknowledge his presence. He simply peeled off and went on his way. I was dressed properly and riding my Honda PC800 Pacific Coast. If I'd been on my Speed Triple I think it would have gone down differently.
rwven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:52 AM   #73
roland_sheehan
Registered Member

First, make sure you have good life insurance and the premiums are paid. Second, go to the race track to see how fast you really are. Hint: It's not nearly as fast as you think you are.

You are a danger not only to yourself but to everyone else on the road.
roland_sheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:57 AM   #74
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh BS

well, it was kinda' down hill....
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:02 AM   #75
sarnali
Founding Member

not to many wrinkles...plenty of grey in my beard at least..if my hair was longer than 1/8 in I could tell if it was grey I guess...
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:02 AM   #76
bmwdude
Founding Member

True, I know at the blazing speed of 75 I can barely hold it on the road, sending grandma'a and children off the road in all directions.

Someone call CNN!

bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:27 AM   #77
Klay
Founding Member

Riding is so damn dangerous already, why stack the odds against you by speeding all the time?

It's easier to think that way the older you get. I still can't help but speed half the time I am riding. It seems I have a three-prong strategy for avoiding tickets that has worked well the last ten years.

First, I commute on a little 200cc dual sport. It's a scream tearing around at limit of traction and power. Often the limit is below the speed limit. It'll get up to 74 mph on a straight, but the commute has too many turns and stops to always be there. The shortcuts through parking lots and off-road may get me in trouble, though.

Secondly, if I'm out in the country on my sportbike on a Sunday ride or whatever, I do what someone mentioned above: Slow down on the straights. What am I trying to prove, I ask myself? Any idiot can get a fast motorcycle and twist the throttle going in a straight line. I like to lean way, way over in the corners, go fast and work on my smoothness. Then when a straight road comes along, I like to ease up on the throttle and cruise slow and relax and enjoy the sights.

Finally, If I am on a long road trip, I just set the speed at seven or so over the limit in the country and no one seems to mind. In town I ride at the speed limit or below when touring. Then if I want to go any faster once ina while, I live by my wits. A couple years ago my wife and I were riding our motorcycles back to Minnesota from Colorado. We were going to stop in to see the Grotto of the Redemption in West Bend, Iowa on the way. The afternoon we were going to see it we realized we had to hustle across Iowa to get there before the place closed. We were on our sportbikes, so we kind of went to warp speed, me in the lead. My wife was all irritated after that ride. "How do you always know where all the police cars are," she asks me. She said I seemed to slow down at random points and sure enough, a police car would go by, and then we would speed up again. Sixth sense?

No, as you know, experienced riders can judge where to slow down whether for safety or for the police. There's that probability machine continually running in the back of your head where you're constantly computing your chances based on sight distances, level of traffic on the road, weather, time of day, type of road, type of legal jurisdiction and so on.

I scored lots of points with my new wife that day, ha ha.

It does also seem to help to have on a full face helmet, full riding suit in safety colors, and hard luggage. I put the hard luggage on even the sportbikes. The cops seem to look the other way with this setup.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:15 AM   #78
bmwdude
Founding Member

You make some very good points.

Re: "Speeding all the time"

I think some of us are getting differing minds eye pictures here from the post above.

There is a big difference between being reckless and running a little on the fast side. To me 75 to 80 on empty open interstate is reasonable. In fact it's even legal in many states now. In my state 70 is the max. On the road I refer to in the above post, I. 50, it's 65. But the traffic is very light.

Being a sport bike rider I'm betting you would agree that 10 to 15 over on a road such as this isn't extreme?

Agreed, moderation and common sense(risk management) are a must. Over due it and disaster is a likely result.

bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:32 AM   #79
Klay
Founding Member

(I ride sportbikes but primarily go touring on them...the best touring bike for me a is a small lightweight bike for more freedom and fun)

No, rural interstate highway is real safe, so 10 to 15 over doesn't seem dangerous. In broad daylight anyway...it's way too fast for when deer may be around or in limited visibility. My "seven over" figure is more for rural two-lane on long road trips, in order to maintain a better average speed. West of the Mississippi, maybe ten over. The cops don't seem to bother me at those speeds. Interstate is boring, so I stay off of it except for an occasional "fast forward."

But in a Sunday ride situation, really, we've got to get a grip on the crazy riding...so going fast through the corners, then instantly dialing back to the speed limit on the straights is a good strategy. Another advantage to this practice is that you don't come up behind cars on the straights which get in your way when they slow excessively for the next series of corners. The cars tend to exceed the speed limit on the straight sections and then slow excessively for the corners. If you do the opposite, it keeps the corners more clear for fun riding without any crazy passing maneuvers.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:49 AM   #80
pplassm
Founding Member

"The report by the Justice Department agency found that 62 percent of people in jails have not been convicted, meaning many of them are awaiting trial."