Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   The Speeding Game (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/3610-speeding-game.html)

pudlepirate 05-23-2006 10:39 AM

Re: The Speeding Game

I feel that if you dress in an aerostitch like a commuter the cops will treat you with a sort of apathetic respect. Driving a motorcycle that has you siting up like a naked helps the illusion that you are going the speed limit as do low key color combos and quiet exhaust.

Now slap on your Rossi leathers and replica helmet and jump aboard that bright red 999r with race exhaust and you'll get yanked doing the speed limit. just hope your impecible taste in hardware gets some sympathy from the police.

Fenton 05-23-2006 10:58 AM

I'm with you. Speed when you want, where you want. Pay attention in traffic and around town.

Pay the ticket. Unless traffic school is an option($20 bucks online)

staff 05-23-2006 11:29 AM

I wonder, though...

I use this strategy on multi-lane highways as well. But is it better to be in front or behind? Will the cop be waiting out in front with a radar gun or (as is the case with the CHP) will he be coming from behind at 80-90 mph?

In general, I've found that here in California, the CHP/car ratio is so favorable that you have to be doing something pretty egregious in densely populated areas to attract John Law's attention.

Gabe

seruzawa 05-23-2006 11:43 AM

Re: I wonder, though...

The UHP seems to rely on laser detection a lot. Around the metropolitan corridor one does have to check the rearviews some. But I'd say 9 times out of 10 the cops are hiding along the Interstate and other roads using laser.

They do have a few plain cruisers in the Salt Lake area to watch out for. One is a bronze Ford Taurus. Another is a late model brown Dodge pickup.

Just in case anyone wants to know.

sarnali 05-23-2006 01:54 PM

get rid of the mustache, they'll think you're a child molester

BrowningBAR 05-23-2006 02:08 PM

Pittsburgh must be the capital for molesters...

BrowningBAR 05-23-2006 02:55 PM

Wait a minute! A 600 is the greatest bike you can own. We have been told this many, many times. Best brakes, best price/performance ratio, etc. We also know that the death of the v-twin is just around the corner. HAVE YOU NOT BEEN PAYING ATTENTION?

mscuddy 05-23-2006 03:21 PM

It all depends on if your moustache is better looking than the one on the cop that pulled you over.

If it's fuller, trimmed and has waxed ends with a slight CZ bend, you might be in big trouble. Moustache envy.

But, if the moustache is unkempt, bushy & covers the upper lip (like that Sackett guy) you might get off with a warning. Or beat with a flashlight.

staff 05-23-2006 04:16 PM

Ha! Fascist police state!

Where the Gestapo wears funny underwear. In CA, unmarked vehicles and/or plainclothes cops can't cite you for infractions. Little known fact.

BrowningBAR 05-23-2006 04:16 PM

Anyone see the movie Super Troopers?