Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   The Speeding Game (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/3610-speeding-game.html)

gbrummett 05-23-2006 09:41 AM

Buy a Gold Wing

Buy a Gold Wing, they seem to leave you alone. And it's a much faster bike then it looks.

sean11 05-23-2006 09:48 AM

another WV rider here

I am blessed to own a motorcycle in the middle of WV. Back roads, i agree, speed limit is not a major issue. when i have been stopped, wearing the right gear and not being a jerk seem to help a lot. I ride a futura, and i always leave the bags on, so maybe that helps too. Even on the interstates you can run 80 without trouble (interstate limit is 70) and the intersates have some good curves in them too. Great place to ride! Now if I was only out there, instead of in here....

BMW4VWW 05-23-2006 09:52 AM

Re: The Speeding Game

Not to mention our mamas and our livestock!

sean11 05-23-2006 09:56 AM

Route 50

yep, great road to ride. wide, clean, few cops. just don't break down between clarksburg and parkersburg!

maladg 05-23-2006 09:58 AM

1. Become a cop & never leave your id at home.

2. Stay under 100 mph.

Advice from my cousin, the recently retired motorcop, detective, and occasional residential GC.

BMW4VWW 05-23-2006 09:59 AM

I heard that a flourescent safety vest and a white helmet are what Bigdx wears for pajamas. At least that's what my mama told me.

jbbishop2 05-23-2006 10:02 AM

Try what I did: ride a slow bike as fast as it will go.

After tickets on the Monster and the Duke (and the car...), I tried an MZ125. My commute is almost all two-lane roads, 35-55 mph limits depending on the curviness of the section, and the MZ works well enough and is fun to boot.

Two MZ incidents:

The first day I rode it, in stock form but for dirt gearing, I was WFO in 6th gear when I went past a CHP hiding behind a fence in a 50-mph zone. He might have laughed (I know I did), but he didn't move. The first reaction, as always, is "Oh, sh--," but then you realize that it's not physically possible to speed and you relax and giggle.

The second incident came up because I will pull over and run down the shoulder when cars behind me want to go by (I don't slow down; don't want to lose momentum). Once, the guy behind finally went around just in time so I could move back in the lane to miss a couple of parked cars. As I went by, one of the parked cars (a pair of CHPs) hit his lights. I figured he had someplace to be so I pulled off, and he pulled in behind me. I was already starting to chuckle when he came up and asked me what I thought I was doing with that shoulder pass. "Well, you know, it's only a 125, so I pull - hey, wait a minute, the guy was passing ME!" He started to look embarrassed and about then the other CHP walks up and asks what's going on. I explain and he busts up. All in all, worth the few minutes it took.

Since then the MZ has been jetted and re-timed and it is now possible to exceed all 2-lane-road speed limits in California...if I get a pretty good run at it...

sean11 05-23-2006 10:03 AM

Go to a surplus store

I often ride my bike to drill (I'm a Lt. in the national Guard. I have never gotten a ticket while wearing a uniform, and combat boots and winter weight BDU's make pretty fair protection. I wear leather on top, so a pair of pants and boots and you're set.

bmwdude 05-23-2006 10:13 AM

Re: Route 50

But wait, we have the "courtesy patrol"! If you can find where they're sleeping they'll be happy to help you... ;-)

gigantic 05-23-2006 10:32 AM

I have a similar method: when i go out and strafe the apexes, i always have the hard bags on my BMW R1100S, so as to look like an older rider on a touring bike. secondly, I've noticed that the cops are patrolling for speeding bikes mainly in the afternoon, when there are more speeding bikes out. therefore, i try to limit my high speed excursions to before noon on weekends and during business hours on weekdays, when i can escape the grind. I'm always hyper vigilant.