Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-23-2006, 05:44 AM   #21
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: The Speeding Game

what kind of birth control you practice, Daddy?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2006, 05:45 AM   #22
ksquid
Banned

I just used the cordless with an ear pad speaker in the helmet.. Works great...You can get really elaborate with HUD stuff etc... But you usually have to mount it on your bike.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:55 AM   #23
James_Brown
Registered Member

In general, people in Northern VA drive like sh!#. They view the speed limit as the absolute outer limits of safety and sanity and thus rarely travel that fast. 5 below is all too common.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:02 AM   #24
YellowDuck
Founding Member

We sportbike riders around here have started giving each other the "thumbs up" when passing one another in opposite directions on twisty roads, if we haven't recently passed any tax collectors. And if you have seen one, you give the low, patting "keep it down" signal. Very useful.

Other than that, I just keep the speed down near the limit on the straights. What's the fun of speeding in a straight line anyway? Just increases your chances of not being able to stop for Bambi, or else Billy-Joe-Bob pulling onto the road in his rusty pickup.

Taking tight corners at or near the limit is plenty of fun, and no need to wind it up though three gears on the exit, either. Why bother? Alone on the straights I like to roll on and off the throttle a bit just to feel the torque, but that is fun at 55 - why do 80?

If you are a speed freak and feel the need to do the ton or more on a regular basis, God bless you, and please find somewhere to do it other than the public streets. Do it on the back roads and you DESERVE a ticket. Not to mention a slap upside the head.

YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:03 AM   #25
James_Brown
Registered Member

Detectors are pretty much useless for laser speed detection devices (LIDAR). If your detector lights up with a laser warning, you've just been nailed. Laser jammers work, but their bulk makes them difficult to mount on some bikes.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:15 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

It's not hard to go two years without getting a speeding ticket if you never actually ride your bike.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:24 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

In Utah, Wyoming, etc we have a very special critter that is often seen on the roads and Interstates. This critter is a benefit and actually greatly decreases the chances of getting a speeding ticket. This oft seen critter is commonly known as the "Great Western Bear Bait".

Simply drive along at the speed limit and soon one of these varmints will come racing by you at 90-100 mph. Simply wait for it to get 1/2 mile ahead of you and then enjoy many long miles of high speed riding.

I-70 between Salina, Ut and the Colorado border is especially fruitful. The hypothetical rider could achieve hypothetical velocities well above 100 mph without a lot of worry.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:32 AM   #28
bikervince
Founding Member

Or get yourself elected to Congress in South Dakota. Then you can drive however you want on public roads and not worry about anything.

bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:54 AM   #29
bmwdude
Founding Member

You make a good point on tactics that no one else has mentioned.

Every morning during my commute I see the same four or five cages. A couple of them absolutely fly. Again, I need to clarify that these roads are all but empty so public endangerment is not an issue. Anyway, falling in behind one of these folks, just as far back as you can get and still see them is a great way to let them flush out the authorities and pay your road tax for you.

Actually many mornings I have one gal follow me just as soon as I pass her. I swear she waits and looks for me just so she can do this.
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:01 AM   #30
johnnyb
Founding Member

Kind of like a concentration camp in some ways. U wonder why since we outnumber the guards, why don't we just overpower them and take their ticket books and car keys?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote