Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-23-2006, 05:31 AM   #11
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: The Speeding Game

Get on over to Radar Busters, say hi to Radar Roy and get you that little cordless radar/laser detector.. Used one for 2 years now. No tickets...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2006, 05:37 AM   #12
rsk173
Founding Member

or some lazy welfare collector will steel it.
rsk173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:48 AM   #13
nolaandy
Founding Member

I've been riding for almost 45 years and have one speeding ticket (1964). I was schooled by some very experienced riders.

1) Stealth. Stay away from loud pipes.

2) Appearance. If you dress like a serious commuter you really do attract less attention. Saddle bags, utilitarian clothing, no T-shirt or flip flops or shorts. Oddly enough, a high-visibility yellow or orange jacket is a stealth garment. Safety, you know. Solid color helmet.

3) Knowing the road. As mentioned above, knowing the hiding places is the best insurance. With instant-on radar, detectors are not reliable. Yes, you can go to court, but not getting the ticket to begin with is easier. Beware of unfamiliar territory.

I ride a quiet naked bike with bags and a small windshield. I always wear gear. It does indeed seem that the LEOs don't even look at me.
nolaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:49 AM   #14
nolaandy
Founding Member

I've been riding for almost 45 years and have one speeding ticket (1964). I was schooled by some very experienced riders.

1) Stealth. Stay away from loud pipes.

2) Appearance. If you dress like a serious commuter you really do attract less attention. Saddle bags, utilitarian clothing, no T-shirt or flip flops or shorts. Oddly enough, a high-visibility yellow or orange jacket is a stealth garment. Safety, you know. Solid color helmet.

3) Knowing the road. As mentioned above, knowing the hiding places is the best insurance. With instant-on radar, detectors are not reliable. Yes, you can go to court, but not getting the ticket to begin with is easier. Beware of unfamiliar territory.

I ride a quiet naked bike with bags and a small windshield. I always wear gear. It does indeed seem that the LEOs don't even look at me.
nolaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:51 AM   #15
bmwdude
Founding Member

I looked at the detector called a solo that looked pretty good.

Without buying a bunch of gizmos, what's the best way to mount the things so they can be easily seen/heard. (for some of us "heard" is a moot question...)

Also, has anyone had exeperience with a cheaper cordless detector?
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:12 AM   #16
johnnyb
Founding Member

Kick in a few hun to the Sheriff's Reelection Committee, join the Sheriff's Auxiliary Homeland Security Citizen's Task Force Against Drunk Driving For the Children, and get the special license plate frame which proclaims your good citizenship. Then drive as fast as you want. No worries.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:16 AM   #17
sank
Founding Member

My personal game plan is a traffic lawyer. $300 and any ticket I've ever received just goes away. Of course, this can get expensive, but it's cheaper than insurance premium increases, and a whole lot more fun!

I even got a ticket once (in my car, actually) for doing 84mph in a 40 zone, up hill. It was a beautifully and newly paved hill, very wide and with high visibility, all except for that forest green KZ1000 county bike that was hiding in the trees on the other side of the road. She was lauging at me, said that she didn't think anybody could even go that fast up that hill. But the ticket was $284, and at that time I paid $250 to make it disappear, so it was cheaper to pay the lawyer than the fine!
sank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:28 AM   #18
YZFas
Founding Member

Eyes.

I see them sooner than they me.
YZFas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:37 AM   #19
mheyer
Founding Member

You are very lucky to run the roads in WV - I head out that way when I can. Nice and twisty, and the 55 mph speed limit on some of those roads are like dares (see if you can hold 55mph). I was reminded of this as I ran out to WV yesterday to do the track day at Summit Point Main. Anyway, count yourself blessed to be on those roads. Try having fun around Rockville, MD or Great Falls, VA and you'll find way too much traffic, way too many cops, and the cops are all about their "don't terrorize the people who want to be extra safe and run 5 mph below the already ridiculously low speed limit..."
mheyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:40 AM   #20
caffine
Registered Member

Default Spy vs Spy

caffine is offline   Reply With Quote