Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
Spacemnspiff
Registered Member

Default Re: EU Laws to Put Brake on Bikers.

first!
Spacemnspiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
ksquid
Banned

Default It's a good thing if you have the right VFR

I actually like the directives but it will probably have a devasting effect on the industry... However, it might just save the priviledge to ride a motorcycle for those us who have the skill and proper type of bike (high performance sportbike). Can't see Buz's geezer glide doing to well on this test Things like ABS might become standard equipment. I think most folks who ride now would pass if we were riding a VFR or BMW with a linked ABS system.... Having ABS on my car saved my life once....

But I don't see this type of law happening in the [b]land of the free and home of the brave </a>

Good article
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
caffine
Registered Member

Default Re: It's a good thing if you have the right VFR

You'd hope it wouldn't happen on this side of the pond, but I think our legislature has that "If it worked over there...." mentality.
caffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
GPgirardi
Registered Member

YOU are the first to SUCK!!!!!
Old 05-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
GPgirardi
Registered Member

The E.U. has their eye on the U.S. !

One world motolaw.

Lock "n" load Boys!!
Old 05-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

This is what happens when you give up your sovreinty, some fat-ass kraut eurocrat dictating your traffic laws...

Britain needs to tell Brussels and the rest of the common market to ***** off, flood the Chunnel and fill the chanel with flaming oil...That should keep the euro-trash in froggyland where they belong.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
ksquid
Banned

Spoken like a true Bonney Lake resident. Don't worry you will be safe in your compound, you might want to feed your Rotwielers sometime though.. Last time I rode by I thought they were going to jump the fence... You have them trained to go after squids don't ya.

(Everyone thinks you folks who live out there are survivalist with barbed wire compouds, actually we are just jealous) When the end time comes will you let me in for a meal just for old time sake.. C rations are OK.. But I like the MREs better
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #8
nadimnabil
Founding Member

I have mixed feelings. The high cost is bad, but I do think that making sure people can perform emergency stops etc from actual highway speeds is a good thing. As a new rider I have not had the opportunity to do this kind of practice enough if at all under supervision. I took the MSF course and I found the low speed braking drills to be a good place to start, but I didn't feel like they gave me any confidence in high speed braking. I am looking forward to taking a more advanced course this summer.

Nadim
nadimnabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:01 PM   #9
emiles
Registered Member

The first of the two directives (a new 'break and swerve' course in which they perform high-speed manoeuvres, including an emergency stop at 50mph) is aleady in effect over here in Holland.

Actually it's a bit more sustantial than that. The driver exam for a motorcycle is really 3 exams that you have to pass:

1) Theory - a bit like the theory for a car exam, but with bike-specific questions (position on the road, tire grip, etc.). You have to do this even if you have a car licence.

2) Special manoeuvres - there are 13 (!) special manoeuvres of which you have to do 7 at the exam. Stuff like figure 8, slow slalom, high speed swerve, high speed slalom, emergency stop, low speed manoeuvering, etc. You can see them here:

http://www.motorfreaks.nl/index.php/report/2941/2 and here

http://www.motorfreaks.nl/index.php/report/2941/3

3) Final exam - this is a normal driving exam, i.e. you drive about 45 minutes in traffic with the examinator following you in a car. He gives you directions by radio (you wear an ear piece).

Yes this is very comprehensive and very expenisive. On the average you need 30-40 lessons (50 min/lesson) in order to pass the exams succesfully (a lesson costs around EUR 45 ($50), the exams EUR 100 and 200). So you're spening a lot of money to get your licence.

Oh, you also have to wear full protection (helmet, jacket, pants & boots) during the lessons & 2 riding exams.

Does this suck?

NO!

What happens is 2 things:

-people who want to get their licence & ride a bike are very motivated

-people who pass the exams really know how to ride a bike safely

In the beginning of the process I was really pissed off at all the hassle. Now 2 months after passing the final exam (and 2 months riding, 3000km), I'm glad I got the training that I got. I know how to ride well and safely. Don't forget thet this is one of the most densly populated countires in the world with lots of traffic. So you really need some training if you don't want to kill yourself.

But then again, I guess that some Americans will view killing themselves due to incompetence as their Constitutional right .. Darwinism anyone?
George W. Bush
emiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:34 AM   #10
fl34
Founding Member

Thanks for your pompass post emiles. I can kill myself with or without competence, thank you, but at least I have a choice. I think that with my first choice we should kill Darwin just because you seem to think that he is on your side.
fl34 is offline   Reply With Quote