Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-07-2006, 09:06 AM   #31
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: It's a good thing if you have the right VFR

No, I'm used to it.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #32
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: EU Laws to Put Brake on Bikers.

Careful Dave, Your ignorance is showing. Here in California, at least we have a government czar of insurance elected by the boobocracy to make sure that those evil insurance companies aren't "gouging" the populace. This pretty much put a damper on "MY" free market insurance system, and makes you liable for my brain.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #33
sarnali
Founding Member

I don't know how often you can hit 100 on I-5 going through Seattle or anywhere between South Center and Everett unless it's midnight or you're a lot braver than I am.

Anyway you're missing my point, population densities are a lot greater in europe than anywhere West of the Mississippi outside of big cities. If you're doing 100 on Eastlake or Lake city Way or any Seattle streets you really need to think about how long you want to live.

At any rate, you're talking about getting leathered up for a 2 mile ride, I'm talking about the hundred or so miles from my house to Yakima on 410, two totaly different riding enviroments
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #34
sarnali
Founding Member

The Autobahn is a limited access high speed highway or were you refering to the Kraftwerk electronica from the 70's?

At anyrate I would expcet your population densities and geographical areas would preclude you from any real high speed work outside of track days which would be much safer than city riding.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #35
Tadgh
Registered Member

speaking also as a european, the laws have been up til recently ...16 year old 50cc moped ..17 year old bike under 125cc and after passing your test and having a full 125cc licence for 2 years you can get a provsional licence for bikes over 125cc which you will also have to do a test for in order to get a full licence...

the idea of wearing leathers or helmets doesnt raise such an issue because due to the weather rain or cold etc it is impossible to go without either .. i dont see these laws as particularily draconian but maybe that is just because of the general european history to bike licences. from what i see despite these laws bike usuage tends to be higher in europe than the US especially for commuting . I pretty much support any initiative which leads to better riders however the cost does appear to be high....
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:48 AM   #36
ksquid
Banned

Default You are OK Van and seruzawa

Hey I don't care what the other extremist say about you.. You are alright with me.. I had to go back and read what Gabe said.. Have to agree with him on your views. They are outside mainstream political thought... But I wouldn't want you to stop talking about them etc. seruzawa makes a good point with his slavery argument... Hey I learn a lot from both of you guys.. Haven't read much of davidhanner yet.. hope to hear more..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #37
ksquid
Banned

"what i see despite these laws bike usuage tends to be higher in europe than the US especially for commuting" Excellent Point.. That and high gas prices... Maybe when gas hits $4.00 here in the U.S. folks might change their attitudes.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #38
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey longride.

It looks just like a Telefunken U-47!
Old 05-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #39
emiles
Registered Member

"Maybe when gas hits $4.00 here in the U.S. folks might change their attitudes."

That's still cheap compared to current EU gas prices .. now about EUR 1,40 per liter (= almost $5/gallon)
George W. Bush
emiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:55 PM   #40
ncelik
Registered Member

Why not combine both - nothing better than driving down the Autobahn while listening to the long version of the Kraftwerk song! (You are forgiven everything you say from now on, just by knowing about Kraftwerk's Autobahn masterpiece - yep, I am a fan)

I remember when I used to pick my commute so I had to get onto 3 different highways, each for 1 exit only. Used to hit 200km/h almost every morning, despite a speed limit of 130km/h. Still puts a smile on my face. Granted, I used to come to work fairly late, so the main rush hour was over. Glory days...
ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote