Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   EU Laws to Put Brake on Bikers. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/3566-eu-laws-put-brake-bikers.html)

seruzawa 05-07-2006 04:49 AM

Hey longride.

Looks like you were right. Except that instead of just banning those dangerous motorcycles the bureaucrats will simply make it nearly impossible for people to get licenses.

The helmet nazis who hang out here have no room to complain. After all this new licensing system will reduce the amount of "social cost " of uninsured bikers becoming a public burden, thus saving these people a few bucks on their taxes and insurance. You can bet that with the reduced accidents and thus less healthcare burden that insurance and taxes will go down. (snicker)

Your public officials know what's good for you. So just pay your taxes and shut the fOck up.

ncelik 05-07-2006 04:52 AM

Re: EU Laws to Put Brake on Bikers.

Idiots.

I am all for reasonable HP/age regulations (I remember myself at 18), but this is over the top.

It will not spell the end of bikers, but significantly dampen the popularity. Endresult being more cars on the street, and I am sure that's exactly opposite of what the euro-green-sociodemocrats wanted.

Morons.

giuliom 05-07-2006 05:40 AM

Before you all get your panties in a bunch, I would like to point out a couple of things. I grew up with a system (in Europe) where it was 14-yo-: 50cc; 16-y-o: 125cc; 18-y-o: anything you want. The proposed directive would raise it to 19: maybe it will go through, maybe not, but I doubt that this will cause a major setback for the industry, since it would not be a substantial change from present rules. Consider this: MOst of my friends dreamed of bikes and a year's delay would just mean that they would wait and then buy at 19. The bike culture is different there: just look at a bike parking lot in any major city: I live in LA and nowhere in LA I ever see the number of bikes one sees in an average Italian city, except for weekends at the Rock Store, I guess. Also, if any of you has ever driven in Europe, you would know how truly dangerous it can be (I mean actual driving yourself, not seeing it from the bus). The idea that a MSF-type course can prepare you for that is ridiculous. The Dutch test actually seems just slightly tougher than the one in California, where we have to do some maneuvers in the parking lot. I wish they had a high-speed braking test here, BTW. None of this matters to the US, anyway: none of those measures has a snowball's chance in hell of being introduced here and, more importantly, being passed, IMHO. The question to ask is why exactly changing the test would cost someone 500 *additional* pounds? At Friday's rate that's about an additional $945: what do they pay DMV examiners in the UK and can I get that job?

ncelik 05-07-2006 05:50 AM

Well, (being Euro myself), I think that 14-yo-: 50cc; 16-y-o: 125cc; 18-y-o: anything you want; is a perfectly reasonable. It gives you time to grow as a rider.

What I really object is 1) the 19-yo limit - if you can vote with 18, why can't you be trusted to ride what you want; 2) Some 24-yo limit mentioned, for the same reason; and most importantly 3) the added cost, which would have prevented me getting a license way-back-when for sure.

ncelik 05-07-2006 05:55 AM

Re: It's a good thing if you have the right VFR

Unfortunately, this looks more and more like the land of the formerly free.

I saw yesterday that we now have the "Directorate of Management" in the "Department of Homeland Security". Directorate of Management? USSR 1976?

emiles 05-07-2006 06:33 AM

"Thanks for your pompass post emiles."

My, my, touched a sensitive nerve have we?

The problem is not you killing yourself (Darwin would approve), but you splattering 1/2 your brain on the sidewalk and leaving enough in your skull to live. Now society (or your insurance i.e. everyone else, or do you believe in Santa?) gets to pay a zillion $$ to keep you alive till you die of old age.

emiles 05-07-2006 06:38 AM

"Also, if any of you has ever driven in Europe, you would know how truly dangerous it can be (I mean actual driving yourself, not seeing it from the bus). The idea that a MSF-type course can prepare you for that is ridiculous. The Dutch test actually seems just slightly tougher than the one in California, where we have to do some maneuvers in the parking lot."

Guess what, after Malta (of all places) Holland has the lowest number of traffic deaths / million km's in the world .. and it has one of the highest population densities in the world. So I guess good training pays off ...

BTW as for traffic deaths (# deaths/million km's), the EU average is way lower than the US .. and that includes countries like Poland and Portugal ..

wwalkersd 05-07-2006 06:59 AM

<blockquote>1) Theory - a bit like the theory for a car exam, but with bike-specific questions (position on the road, tire grip, etc.). You have to do this even if you have a car licence.</blockquote>

Hear, hear! I don't think many of us in the US would argue against it being a good thing for cagers to know something about how motorcycles behave!

As to the rest, well, the expense doesn't seem to deter too many folks in the EU from getting motorcycle or car licenses, does it? And it does result in drivers/riders who know what they're doing. And even here, driving is supposed to be a privilege, not a right (discounting the fact that the layout of our cities, and paucity of adequate public transportation, make it a necessity).

But of course, such training would never be required here. Riders would simply point out that we don't make car drivers take any of this expensive training, so it's unfair. And the car drivers would never go for it.

ksquid 05-07-2006 07:05 AM

You can't fly an airplane without training.

Excellent Post...I agree with you.. I hope to complete my Private Pilot's license this summer. I guess some folks will think that I should be able to fly a plane without the comprehensive training that is required...

ksquid 05-07-2006 07:10 AM

Re: Hey longride.

You know this will never happen here. Didn't Missouri just repeal it's helmet law.. Thanks to the GPTB ...