Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-21-2001, 04:31 PM   #1
veloce4c
Founding Member

Default Re: DJs Tell Motorists to Hit Cyclists

Well unfortunate for us in rest of US it is illeagal and when I first moved out of Cali and did it out of habit I almost got arrested and a big failure to communicate speech. Its sad to see that on the whole we are lumped as irresponsible byt the genral public and then at the same time we should be punished by selfish ppl in cars who are so bent on not sharing space in their car (as carpooling) as seeing us as cyclist invade there outer space when sitting in traffic. My only response has been they could ride to if they wanted to get through truly. But then you cant talk on the phone, shave, put make up on, smack the children, eat your lunch, grab a quick wank, or any of the other truly bizarre things that I saw in 7 yrs of commuting 40 miles each way by bike to SF from the east bay. Ride safe and dont look back (you will miss the open door)

first post?
veloce4c is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2001, 04:58 PM   #2
Haga
Founding Member

I would recomend to anyone in the area this station services to boycott it and perhaps we could get MO to find and post an email address to the station manager or either one of these guys.

On another level, I'm sure these are the same types of idiot radio people I hear hammering everyone about how wrong and irresponsible their views are if they don't match up with this pairs misguided ideas of right and wrong. Of course, it is fair, just and responsible to recomend a course of violence against a small, easily identifiable segment of society. Naturally, when you are a faceless voice, things like this are much easier to say. Hopefully, the station will just fire these guys... it seems like there's always someone who'll try something because they see/hear it somewhere. Hopefully you guys in Cali won't be riding around with targets on your backs.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 04:59 PM   #3
alanheng
Founding Member

You forgot to mention "I got first post".

I'm somewhat shocked at the ignorance of those who see motorcyclists as bad.

For everyone who gets on two wheels, that's one more car off the road.

go figure.
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 05:08 PM   #4
brad01
Founding Member

I wondered what happened to Kramer and Twitch. They were in Dallas for a while were they said tons of crazy , that's just there style. It's definitely in poor taste, probably pisses people off but after a while you learn that their just trying to get a rise out of anyone they can. I mean look it worked MO, AMA and the bicycle people, free advertising for the station. Don't get me wrong I don't want to run into a static object while I'm moving at any speed. But sometimes I think we should just ignore some things so as not to lend credibility to the statements. Anyway sometimes these guys can be funny. By the way they are really fat guys.
brad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 05:15 PM   #5
schillhog
Founding Member

I have to admit the above was my kneejerk reaction, too. But isn't crucifying a couple of shock jocks really a trap for us freedom loving types?

If I believed these jokers were REALLY advocating harming cyclists, I'd be all over them too. But, although I haven't heard the bits, I doubt they were any more serious than I was when I talked about mounting a small, inconspicuous missle launcher on my bike for left-turning cage monsters.

I've heard a lot of crazy, but FUNNY bits on the radio, and it seems they always get funnier when some ultrasensitive group whose ox is being gored (for entertainment value) gets all uptight. (Like the guy from some group representing the mentally ill taking umbrage at the XFL "Miami Maniacs" name.

Yeah, I know there's a limit, but its the politically correct, uptight bunch who would clear the road of us "irresponsible" cyclists. We have a lot more to fear from those people than a couple of clowns with a microphone.

I've commuted on many vehicles with two wheels, currently of the powered persuasion, and realize it can be very scary out there. But let's not be too quick to jump on a bandwagon.
schillhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 05:20 PM   #6
sv650_rider
Founding Member

actually, MO doesn't even have to do a thing. you can visit the ksjo website (www.ksjo.com), and grab the mailing address of the station, along with relevant phone #'s and the like. i'm not sure how much impact a bunch of cyclists sending snail mail would have, but it couldn't hurt.

for what it's worth, i live in the SF bay area and have heard this station on more than a few occasions. they have a habit of their DJ's getting them in pretty big trouble. they run a program on wednesday mornings during the commute hour called 'whip it up wednesday' which encourages drivers to get naked on the freeway. not exactly a traffic safety conscious group those djs....
sv650_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 05:38 PM   #7
Nepenthe
Founding Member

You're right, I remember them here (I'm from Denton). I wish I could hear the broadcast or read a transcript; until that, I can't really judge either way, yannow.
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 06:20 PM   #8
huskerdu
Founding Member

I'm also a huge advocate of free speech but this kind of thing does scare me. A few years back a couple local dj's got wind of a child killer who was eligible for parole. They suggested someone in jail should kill him before he could get to his parole hearing. The next day he was dead. Beaten to death with a horseshoe stake.

I wouldn't put it past some idiot to listen to these guys and open his/her door on the next motorcycle they see. I got stuck in four hours of dead stopped trafic the other day and eventually started to lane split a little. Totally illegal here but I was desperate. The whole time I was doing it I was just sure a door was going to open or a car would pull over in front of me. I guess they took pity on me because I made it.
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 06:22 PM   #9
Forgy
Registered Member

It's all about ratings... Inflamitory statements and campaigns are common fare when these types of "entertainers" attempt to keep / gain marketshare.

If I had my own radio show, maybe I'd see if I could incite our "One Percenter" brothers to kick a$$ on fat Bay Area DJs...

Not only have they made our lives a little more dangerous, but the bastards ate all the Twinkies. Enough is enough!
Forgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 06:32 PM   #10
static
Founding Member

There are enough enraged motorists that are already tempted to open their doors without encouragement from the little voices in the dash board.

static is offline   Reply With Quote