Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-23-2001, 07:01 PM   #81
christianl
Founding Member

Default Re: It

hey hamatsu,yeah!me again.you should practice what you preach my brother,hes only joking
christianl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2001, 07:05 PM   #82
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

Default Re: Shock Jocks

I am all for personal responsibility, and if someone attacked me because I am on a motorcycle, it is entirely up to them to face the consequences.

However, these guys should not be allowed, by their employers or the public, to say what they did, and they weren't. They can say they think motorcyclists are jerks, idiots, bastards, whatever. They can even say that they would like to attack a motorcyclist, but I think the problem with what these two shmucks said is that they directed to everyone listening to carry out a violent and illegal act. The term "inciting violence" comes to mind. I am not a lawyer, but I think these guys stepped over the line. Kind of like violence in music and movies: it's OK to depict or relate violent tales (like much rap and R-rated movies), but not to directly instruct it to be done (like a Klan sing-a-long).
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 07:17 PM   #83
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

Default Re: DJs Tell Motorists to Hit Cyclists

I don't remember Howard ever asking everyone in his audience to attack any particular segment of the populace . . . Maybe he has and I missed it.

Anyway, I think there is a difference between telling someone ABOUT killing cops, beating women, and doing drugs (pop music) and telling someone TO kill cops, beat women, and do drugs (your inference regarding pop music). Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the difference between protected, free speech, and inciting violence.

I agree with your conclusion, though. There probably won't be very many people who heed these instructions, but the careless cagers will continue their cell phone addled meanderings . . .
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 07:28 PM   #84
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: try this

Christianl,

If you think ashole martian was kidding then you should read the post he left in the "one man's support of E-H" story. The guy's xenophobic ! As far as you being my brother....I've got a fat brother, but you're not him. And as for the gay thing....most fat guys are gay cause they can't get laid. Go back to the krispy kreme box and start over.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 07:33 PM   #85
hamatsu
Founding Member

Or the Irish Catholics and Protestants, Indian Hindu's and Muslims or Tom and Jerry for that matter....
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 07:43 PM   #86
rearviewmirror
Founding Member

Keith,

First off let me say that I didn't hear the radio in question and I am sure it was all in good fun. Your apology sounds sincere and I am sure the PS announcements are helping mend a very intense situation. I have friends who listen in that area and will be letting us know here in the central USA if those guys come back on line. They used very poor judgement in their choice of topics and could have hurt many innocent people in the process, should they be held liable? Well, if anyone was dumb enough to listen to them then maybe so. My point is that when people reach the public in the masses they should be held accountable for their actions, as most of are held accountable in our everyday jobs. I hope suspending them is not some cheap publicity stunt, I mean on your web page all you have is a picture of the obviously overweight gentlemen and a big banner across the top saying "SUSPENDED". Why don't you have the apology written there or a story telling what happen, maybe you can even put a word by word account of the incident on the page since you mentioned that wrong message came across. Just a thought....

Anthony
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 07:55 PM   #87
caderider
Registered Member

It's probably of the "He's-gonna-get-there-before-me" syndrome. *SIGH*
Old 02-23-2001, 08:06 PM   #88
Therapy
Founding Member

It's easy for us to ignore stupidity like this on an individual basis, but there are lots of dim bulbs in their cars listening to this junk and they just might have their lite come on and decide it's a cool idea for a fun thing to do. Then another biker gets whacked by someone who went with the idiocy they heard on the radio...

Gotta be careful what you say now days...some folks take everything seriously....

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 08:25 PM   #89
TobyT
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcyclists have a sense of humor

I live in Daytona. Send em down. I'll get some of my HD friend to make them feel at home.
TobyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 04:52 AM   #90
grandmasta-flash
Founding Member

Rap and rock song are forms of art and they were written for art/entertainment. But DJs telling people to hit motorcyclist? That's pure crime
grandmasta-flash is offline   Reply With Quote