Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-24-2001, 06:37 AM   #91
bugsplatter
Founding Member

Default Re: DJs Tell Motorists to Hit Cyclists

Dirtbiker, I lane split, carefully but frequently and there is nothing "psycho" about it. It is legal in California, there is frequently 4-8 feet between cars and cars almost never change lane when they are next to another car traveling the same speed so this is frequently the safest way past. Use common sense.

As to cars being inferior brakers to bike this is simply not the case. In a strait line and in the dry with consumate skill you can brake to a stop around as shortly as a performance car. Add any moisture, debris or curves and the ball swings the other way. Our safety margin is built towards acceleration and agility.

I'm still not sure why lane splitting is inconsiderate, but hey It a tool that has its uses, if you are from California I suggest you practice it, you may need it some day

bugsplatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2001, 11:37 AM   #92
christianl
Founding Member

Default Re: try this

wow ham,your really funny.you should take your act on the road,by the way im really not that fat i was just goofin on myself so i guess i deserve all the flack from like you....boy is this a good donut!!
christianl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 09:15 PM   #93
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Time for motorcyclist to hit DJs!

Sounds like a plan...?!

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 09:39 PM   #94
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default KJSO e-mail

Cindy Cooper, Director HR

ccooper@ksjo.com

Let her know how you feel

ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 04:13 AM   #95
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default I can't believe "biker" is part of your name

When a person drives a car, they make the road safer for themself at everyone else's expense. When a person rides a motorcycle they make the road safer for everyone else at their own expense. This makes all the difference in the world. I can't believe this doesn't occur to you, do you not ride on the street at all? We choose when to share lanes, not the cars, because it's our lives at stake and not theirs. We deserve a lane of traffic to ourselves because we have chosen to be more responsible motorists just by choosing a motorcycle instead of a car. If I make a mistake while lanesplitting, I might scratch your door, but I will fare much worse. If it's that big of a deal then ban shopping carts. I bet right now you're just thinking about the weight difference between motorcycles and cars, thinking that's all I'm talking about. Well add to that the fact that a vehicle that's 2 feet wide instead of 5 doesn't have to move near as far to not hit a little girl who runs out into the street. Add to that the fact that while the motorcycle needs to move less, it has the ability to move a much greater distance much more quickly than a car. Not to mention that motorcycles can stop SO much more quickly than cars. The brakes? No. Let's get this right. The lighter a vehicle is the less traction-to-weight ratio it needs. A motorcycle has a greater traction-to-weight ratio than a car, yet needs much less of one to accomplish the same tasks. Therefore, and motorcycle with a brake strong enough to lock the wheel will stop in a tiny fraction of the time and space it takes a car. Car drivers have absolutely no right to complain about anything a motorcyclist does, even the irresponsible ones. Why should a car care about a motorcycle splitting lanes past it? Oh, did it surprise them? Yeah, we wouldn't want to wake them. I don't know any car drivers who died because of something a motorcycle did to them on the road, but I sure know of plenty of motorcyclists who've died because of what cars have done to them. I don't even care about what the DJs told people to do, and I'd be just as pissed if they didn't actually suggest people do anything at all. I have a problem with them showing any contempt for two wheelers, responsible transportation solutions ridden by the heros of our society. If he just wanted to piss people off he could've talked about how cars don't deserve to be on the road. That'd piss more people off, right?
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 04:17 AM   #96
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Actually, I heard somewhere that

they got beat up after the show and took a ride in an ambulence. I hope it's true.
Old 02-25-2001, 04:33 AM   #97
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default The ball NEVER swings the other way.

A motorcycle always outbrakes a car, by a huge margin, on any surface. I ride in wisconsin (and yes I lanesplit--to stay alive), and I ride all winter. My biggest worry on snow is when I come to a stoplight that the car behind me won't be able to stop. I watch in the mirror and prepare to grab the line if they don't look like they will. I regularly stop at intersections with no problem and watch cars going very slowly still not be able to stop and slide out into the intersection. The motorcycle does take more skill, and in a car a driver can afford to lock up on a slippery surface and then pump on and off. This is not a good way to brake, but an unskilled driver can do this in a car without falling over at least. On a motorcycle the rider really risks losing the front wheel if they lock it on a slick surface, so they often stay much further from their limits than they need to. Once a rider has the proper skill and knows where those limits are and how to read the wheel, they can outbrake a car on any surface. It's physics, the only laws that can't be broken.
Old 02-26-2001, 03:44 AM   #98
Dirtbiker
Founding Member

Default Re: I can

You say that car drivers have no right to care what a motorcyclist does??? I would sincerely hope that they care while I ride. I would hate to be the motorcyclist that gets rear ended at a stop light because the car driver didn't care that I stopped. By the way, everybody misses the point it seems. I never said anything about lanesplitting being unsafe or causing traffic. I agree that it is safer not only for the biker, but the car driver as well. I also agree that it can eliminate a lot of congestion on the freeway. However, I feel that the motorcyclists who choose to do so are impeding on my rights and privileges. I would like to drive both my car and my motorcycle in a manner that will not hurt someone else, even more so than I would like to drive in a manner that would not hurt myself. This is why I don't like irresponsible bikers. I am not saying that lane-splitters are irresponsible, most probably aren't. I am just responding to the comment about car drivers not having a right to complain about what motorcyclists do, even irresponsible ones. I have seen irresponsible motorcyclists and responsible ones, and even seen one irresponsible one die. He ran smack into the rear of a car at an intersection. No, the driver of the car wasn't hurt, but I would like to think that the vision of a motorcycle hitting the back of your car and a dead body flying into your back window would tend to bother most people. It would bother me. A lot. Therefore, I think I do have the right to care about what motorcyclists do, whether I am riding or driving. And also, I think I mis-led people at first. I hate lane splitting as I know it. I am from Texas, and where I live we don't have a lot of standstill traffic jams. Most of the traffic jams I have been in were still moving 25-45 mph and there were A LOT of people changing lanes and trying to get ahead. It is the bikers that lane-split in those conditions that I don't like. If the cars were basically sitting still, that would be a different matter, and I might lane split, but I would probably instead ride on the shoulder.(or grass, since you can probably guess by the name that I like dual-purpose and dirt bikes more than sport bikes)
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 03:50 AM   #99
Dirtbiker
Founding Member

Default I agree 100%

Motorcycles CAN stop better in all conditions once you know how to control them, and in good conditions regardless of skill. This is why I don't like when bikers(mostly inexperienced ones) stop without looking behind them or cut in front of cars. Most car drivers never give that a second thought, but it scares the hell out of me when someone cuts in front of me when I am in a car.
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 05:47 AM   #100
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Free Speech

In California, PC section 422 sentances a person to county jail for up to one year if that person threatens another with immidiate grave bodily injury or death.

Not exactly what dumb and dumber did, but you get the idea...

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote