Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #31
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default Re: Rossi Issues Triple-Challenge to Alonso.

Put my money on Rossi.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #32
Fenton
Founding Member

"Duo" was quoted from the first part of the article.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #33
nweaver
Founding Member

Also, Rossi rocks at WRC racing too, so its ("I'm great at two, good at one, you're great at one, who knows at two") kinda challenge.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #34
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: You heard that where?

Oh, boy. First of all, I just noticed someone pointed out that an F1 car doesn't weigh 900 lbs. I thought I'd let that slide. But now that someone mentioned it, you're way off, just like you were with the GP bikes.

Second of all, have you ever got in spitting distance of an F1 car? Because I have. In fact, I've been around Indy cars, Formula Atlantic cars and even F1 cars. And I've met and known some open-wheel drivers (Alex Tagliani and Alex Zampedri to name two.) I'm pretty sure they would agree that in car racing, the car is a much bigger part of the equation.

F1 cars do accelerate and corner harder than anything else. They also generate higher levels of grip than anything else. And they've still got four wheels with big ole' contact patches. Not to mention the most sophisticated driver aids and traction control known to man. And, yes, because they're so awesome, they're still a handful.

But don't tell me that you know Alonso could podium on a GP bike. It's a totally different animal, and a more unforgiving one at that.

Unless Alonso has got a lot of riding and track experience, he'll find it very difficult to get within anything resembling Rossi's pace.

Rossi, on the other hand, has lapped competitively in an F1 car. (And yes, from what I've seen reported, the last test was in a V-10. But IT WAS DETUNED to run under the current rules. All in all, it was probably slower than the current cars. And some F1 gurus even wondered if he would have been significantly faster in a current car.)

For someone that seems so certain about F1 drivers being so superior, you seem to know little about the sport.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #35
ksquid
Banned

Default You gotta love Rossi

Alonso is an idiot. Rossi would be close in the car but kick som serious butt on the bike...You gotta love the ****iness of both guys though... It makes great copy...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #36
pdad13
Founding Member

Oh, boy. First of all, I just noticed someone pointed out that an F1 car doesn't weigh 900 lbs. I thought I'd let that slide. But now that someone mentioned it, you're way off, just like you were with the GP bikes.

Second of all, have you ever got in spitting distance of an F1 car? Because I have. In fact, I've been around Indy cars, Formula Atlantic cars and even F1 cars. And I've met and known some open-wheel drivers (Alex Tagliani and Alex Zampedri to name two.) I'm pretty sure they would agree that in car racing, the car is a much bigger part of the equation.

F1 cars do accelerate and corner harder than anything else. They also generate higher levels of grip than anything else. And they've still got four wheels with big ole' contact patches. Not to mention the most sophisticated driver aids and traction control known to man (traction control on a bike is very different.). And, yes, because they're so awesome, they're still a handful.

But don't tell me that you know Alonso could podium on a GP bike. It's a totally different animal, and a more unforgiving one at that.

Unless Alonso has got a lot of riding and track experience, he'll find it very difficult to get within anything resembling Rossi's pace.

Rossi, on the other hand, has lapped competitively in an F1 car. (And yes, from what I've seen reported, the last test was in a V-10. But IT WAS DETUNED to run under the current rules. All in all, it was probably slower than the current cars. And some F1 gurus even wondered if he would have been significantly faster in a current car.)

For someone that seems so certain about F1 drivers being so superior, you seem to know little about the sport.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #37
sanfrdnsun
Registered Member

I say put them in Cup cars and let em duke it out at Bristol Motor Speedway
sanfrdnsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #38
obandoj
Founding Member

Arrogant? His record speaks for itself! Alonso is the one who openned his trap first, Vale will kick his a$$ and yours anytime.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:55 PM   #39
bigdx
Founding Member

Minimum allowable dry weight for 2006 F1 is 440kg, which translates to about 968lbs.

I have attended probably about 100 F1 races, in the UK, France, Spain, Belgium, Monaco, Italy, Australia, South Africa and Brazil and personally met Nelson Piquet when he drove for Brabham. I never spat at any of them, but I guess I was within distance.

"F1 cars do accelerate and corner harder than anything else."

Yes, they do that [accelerate harder than anything else] due to their superior power to weight ratio.

"And I've met and known some open-wheel drivers (Alex Tagliani and Alex Zampedri to name two.) I'm pretty sure they would agree that in car racing, the car is a much bigger part of the equation."

Good for you, but I doubt that theyÂ’ll agree to that Â…

"But don't tell me that you know Alonso could podium on a GP bike."

That statement would have had some relevance had I actually made it.

"Rossi, on the other hand, has lapped competitively in an F1 car"

Actually no, he hasnÂ’t.

"And some F1 gurus even wondered if he would have been significantly faster in a current car."

Just which F1 gurus are you referring to? The Ferrari PR folks perhaps?

"Not to mention the most sophisticated driver aids and traction control known to man (traction control on a bike is very different.)"

What "most sophisticated driver aids" are you referring to? How is traction control different on bikes? What about the slipper clutches the riders use – that is not an driver (rider) aid?

I am sure I (and most posters on this forum) will be able to ride a full blown Motogp bike round a track without wiping out. I bet you $1000 straight up you wouldnÂ’t get a F1 car out the pit lane.

"For someone that seems so certain about F1 drivers being so superior, you seem to know little about the sport"

I believe I know a boatload more about them than you Â…

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #40
bigdx
Founding Member

I have not read the article you refer to but depending on the fuel load and tire compound even the slowest driver can be made to look good. I doubt Rossi would be running race distance with a topped up gas tank.

"Schumacher himself said that Rossi could step into F1 immediately and be competitive"

Mmmm, yeah, he would say that, wouldnÂ’t he? We are talking Ferrari PR. AlonsoÂ’s viewpoint that Rossi would not be competitive is more believable.

"he was in a de-tuned 2002 Ferrari"

Actually he tested in a 2005 Ferrari, and I doubt there was any ‘de-tuning’. Ferrari has a 2.4 so why would they bother detuning?

"We know that Rossi can drive F1"

Actually no, we do not.

"Does Alonso ride?"

Does it matter? Alonso has no aspirations to go to MotoGP. He is King of F1 and Rossi is the new kid on the block. It is up to Rossi to match Alonso. It took Schumacher a number of years before he got his groove on. Rossi has not had the same experience on four wheels Schumacher had when he started, and he is already 27 (28?). Alonso is 22 and is definitely better on 4 wheels than Rossi Â… by a wide margin.

If Rossi had any sense he stick with Motogp Â…

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote