Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Rossi Issues Triple-Challenge to Alonso. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/3399-rossi-issues-triple-challenge-alonso.html)

bigdx 03-17-2006 10:31 AM

Re: You heard that where?

My facts are better than your math (and your comprehension)

"MotoGP currently has a better power-to-weight ratio"

A 324lb motorcycle producing 240hp has a better power to weight ration than a 900lb car producing 900-950hp? DonÂ’t think so.

"Not an expert, but from street riding and watching racing, bikes sure seem like a bigger challenge at that level"

So you have watched a few races and you ride bikes so now you know bike racing is more difficult than car racing? Lol. Sure. Well I ride bikes and watch racing too and I am somewhat perplexed as to what you base your statements on.

he posted very competitive lap times (though using a non-current-spec car)

Sure, 7 seconds off pace in a car that produces 250hp more than the competition and you consider that competitive? The average hillbilly with a bit of dirt track experience will manage that. See gr8shandini post about Hayden in a champ car.

"The "big mouth" award actually goes to the F1 driver. This is simply Rossi's reply"

No, this is simply your imagination. Alonso never said he would beat Rossi on two wheels. Why would he bother? He simply indicated that he did not think Rossi will perform at the top level of F1 – and he is 100% right. Rossi has no hope in hell of doing that. Rossi latest little rant is just another demonstration of his infantile personality.

F1 is the top tree. You do not see many F1 driver wanting to go to MotoGP. A number of MotoGP rider would give both their b@lls to drive F1.

Rossi is a overblown ass who will run away from F1 with his tail between his legs Â…

gr8shandini 03-17-2006 10:58 AM

For the record, F1 cars have a 600 kg minimum weight limit. That'd be about 1300 lbs, which makes the power to weight ratios about the same.

However, my point was that riding a race bike is pretty much like riding a street bike but even moreso. Keep the throttle under control and the rest is essentially similar. Modern race cars (those with aerodynamics), however, are tricky in that downforce dissipates quickly as you bleed off speed. You may be able to pull 4 g's through that 120 mph sweeper, but only 1.5 through the hairpin. Takes a lot more getting used to.

I was merely comparing the two disciplines, not saying that one requires more talent or athleticism than the other. They're both very demanding and I don't think I could pilot either a Moto GP or F1 racer without killing myself.

The_AirHawk 03-17-2006 11:01 AM

Re: Rossi Issues Triple-Challenge to Alonso.

By chance, is the photo of Rossi that's with the article one that was taken when he was "laying down" the gauntlet? If so, I find the gesture Rossi is making quite amusing in light of the subject.

-Scott

Fenton 03-17-2006 11:05 AM

Don't ruin the hen pecking

Now what am I going to do here at work w/o the pissing match.

Elvis can sing as well as Frank.

There.

Tigercub 03-17-2006 11:46 AM

I can't believe Rossi is going to risk riding another MotoGP season when he has a long future in Formula 1 car racing and way more money ahead of him. Moreso I can't believe Ferrari would let him risk a car racing future to complete this season.

I'll bet you Ferrari buys out his contract before the season is out or I'll give up my subscription to MO.

TomSmith 03-17-2006 11:46 AM

Some bike riders have transitioned to cars. Joe Leonard and John Surtees are two. I have never heard of a race car driver switching to bikes successfully - or if they have ever tried. Car drivers used to make a lot more money than bike riders, so maybe that is why they stayed with cars.

V4Roar 03-17-2006 11:47 AM

A Duo???

A pair???

Could you possibly have meant a duel???

Do y'all have an editor, or maybe a dictionary?

tripletango 03-17-2006 12:18 PM

Damn good idea. Don't stop there, let's see if we can create a series for the world's fastest in motorised vehicles!! Let the best man or woman win.

yoavy11 03-17-2006 12:50 PM

Minimum weight for F-1 cars is 600kg(without fuel) that stands for 1320lb. 320/240=1.333lb/hp. 1320/900= 1.467lb/hp.

GP bikes win that one.

m_t_yeo 03-17-2006 12:59 PM

"Sure, 7 seconds off pace in a car that produces 250hp more than the competition and you consider that competitive?"

I just read an article about Rossi's F1 trials and by the end of the day he was lapping faster than many current F1 drivers and within 1.5 second of Michael Shumacher. Shumacher himself said that Rossi could step into F1 immediately and be competitive. I've never seen this 7 seconds you mention in any article I've read (I've read three or four) and IIRC, he was in a de-tuned 2002 Ferrari, not a current car.

Does Alonso ride? That would be a key thing in this challenge, I think. We know that Rossi can drive F1, but Alonso at most rides recreationally - I don't remember ever reading anything about him riding bikes at all. Both would win in their specialties, of course, but the question is by how much. Rossi has driven rally competitively and dominates MotoGP and has already proven he can run pretty quick in an F1 car. I haven't seen Alonso do either rally or MotoGP, so the jury will have to remain out until he tries either and we can see how well he does.