Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-17-2006, 04:41 AM   #11
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Default Re: You heard that where?

I agree. Getting a knee down is something Alonso has no experience with, and it ain't for the faint of heart. He would soil his union suit on the first lap.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2006, 05:07 AM   #12
YellowDuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Rossi Issues Triple-Challenge to Alonso.

I'd be rather surprised if Flavio Briatore's contract with Alonso would permit him to ride a MotoGP bike. Think of the consequences for Renault et al if he fell off and broke a collarbone or something. No way. Not during the F1 season anyway.

YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:49 AM   #13
bigdx
Founding Member

"You're kidding, right?"

Not at all. You are confusing road vehicle with race vehicles. Road bikes are faster than road cars, but F1 cars will out accelerate, out brake and out corner a motogp bikes by a huge margin. No contest. (Go check the lap times) Handling 900 ponies is a bit more difficult than 200. F1 cars are notoriously difficult to drive – even when you try taking it easy (Just ask Rossi). I am sure most of us will be able to ride a Motogp bike and not wipeout if we take it easy, no?

"What the hell does the weight of the machine have to do with anything?"

?? I did not mention weight. You tell me??

"Even people in F1 admit that the car does most of the work"

Really? Big mouth Rossi spun out first time he drove a F1 car. He must be a total ass since the car does everything no?

"That's still not the case in motorcycle racing and probably never will be."

Mmm – Traction control is commonly used in WSB and some time back they played around with ABS.

"F1 drivers are very talented"

Correction, they are the most talented motor sport folks on the planet.

"But I'd be very, very surprised if Alonso could get within 10 seconds of Rossi's lap time on a bike"

I am sure with practice he will get way closer than that. He never said he would beat Rossi; instead he said he would get close. To become the youngest ever FI champ he has to be very talented and I am sure that talent will translate to motorcycling too.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:04 AM   #14
bigdx
Founding Member

"Getting a knee down is something Alonso has no experience with"

Maybe, but he is a very talented racer and you would be naïve to think that his talent cannot translate to two wheels.

"and it ain't for the faint of heart."

If by that you are eluding Alonso is faint of heart you are somewhat ignorant. Competing and winning at F1 takes lots of talent and big b@lls

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #15
gr8shandini
Founding Member

There was a good Car and Driver article a while back about Nicky Hayden and Micheal Andretti swapping rides. Andretti (an avid sportbiker) was only a few seconds off of Nicky's pace on the bike while Hayden never completed a lap in the champ car without an off-course.

Not that it applies here due Rossi's experience as an F1 tester, but it's a good demonstration of the fact that road bikes are far more similar to their race counterparts than road cars are to race cars.
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #16
leinj
Founding Member

Um...I don't think you have all your facts right either.

1. Laptimes don't matter - what matters is how difficult it is to jump in and get competitive laptimes with the top drivers in either sport. Not an expert, but from street riding and watching racing, bikes sure seem like a bigger challenge at that level. Plus at ~326 lbs and 240+ hp (Honda), MotoGP currently has a better power-to-weight ratio (1.35 lbs per hp, versus 1.47). Hp ratings are meaningless without looking at weight too.

2. Correction: Rossi spun out in "his first group outing" this year, but has tested well at various other solo outings over the past few years. Plus later in that same outing this year, he posted very competitive lap times (though using a non-current-spec car). I haven't heard how well Alonso's first group outing on a MotoGP bike went yet

The "big mouth" award actually goes to the F1 driver. This is simply Rossi's reply - "you say you're better, then prove it". Seems pretty reasonable to me.

3. F1 drivers are talented, but "most talented"? I'd say that's subjective, and this challenge might be a good way to settle that. Honestly, bikes and cars are so different it's almost like saying F16 fighter pilots are more talented than F1 drivers...

You think Alonso would win, I think Rossi would win. So it'd be nice to see the challenge happen!

That's my take on it anyway...
leinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #17
tumbler
Founding Member

Nickey Hayden didn't even have a drivers license...
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #18
acecycleins
Founding Member

Arrogance and confidence are differenct things. Vale (as smug as he is) is accomplished at MotoGP and Ralley racing. Alonso spoke before the brain cells kicked in and Rossi called him to the mat. If Rossi were in an '06 Ferrari (instead of a de-tuned '04) and raced it against the Renault I think that he'd have better trap speeds in the end.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:13 AM   #19
Lastwatch
Founding Member

He's now the ultimate mind f*ck master if he can get the reigning F1 champion to back down before Rossi even enters the series.
Lastwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #20
pkbrown
Founding Member

I've never driven a race car, but it seems to me like going from car to bike would be waaay harder than bike to car. Rossi has actually driven a Formula 1 car and done it fairly well apparently. Has Alonso every seriously raced bikes?
pkbrown is offline   Reply With Quote