Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   KTM Dominates Dakar Rally Motorcycle Section. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/3222-ktm-dominates-dakar-rally-motorcycle-section.html)

chicswank 01-03-2006 08:26 PM

Re: KTM Dominates Dakar Rally Motorcycle Section.

Ah, I see, I was looking at the wrong standings! Well dang it. I'm no Harley guy, but I was pulling for the American machinery to do well. They do appear to be out of it.

pplassm 01-04-2006 02:29 AM

I have 3 KTMs. I race a 300EXC and I have a 620 RXC converted to Duke spec that I use strictly on the road. I also have an old 250 MXC that I keep for friends to ride. The 620 uses essentially the same engine and frame that the Dakar racers use.

KTMs are on par, quality-wise with any Japanese bike. They do have idiosycracies and, dare I call it, "Character" that separates them from other brands.

Right now, in off-road racing (not MX), the starting lines are very orange, particularly in New England. There are several reasons for this, but the main one is that KTMs are strong, raceable bikes right out of the crate. They need no modification to be competitive in enduros, GNCCs, or desert races.

KTM two stroke MXers are class leaders in horsepower, and, indeed, they are the only manufacturer who seems to be putting any development into two strokes anymore. They do seem to lag the Japanese in suspension compliance, but make up for that in quality components and durability.

I have have had absolutely no reliability problems with any of the several KTMs I have owned. I would not hesitate to buy another.

KTM was to first to offer the competitive four stoke off-road bikes that people were demanding. Where else would you find a light weight, powerful four stroke off-road bike with electric starting and six speeds in 1998?

The final selling point for KTM off-road bikes is that their MSO's are not "branded". All Japanese off-road bikes have their MSO's stamped with "For Off-Road use only" or some other statement. This makes dual-sport conversion difficult, if not impossible in many states. With a KTM, or any other European bike for that matter, the process is much simpler.

Yep, I am a true believer. If they would only come up with a six speed transmission for my 300EXC, then I would be ecstatic.

pplassm 01-04-2006 02:33 AM

I think this has more to do with exchange rates than ignoring the wants of US riders.

As far as warranty issues go, I have heard mostly good things from the riders I know that have had issues. Am I missing something?

I have been racing KTMs for 10 years now. No problems here.

pplassm 01-04-2006 02:35 AM

I thought the explanation offered was quite clear. Remember that we're dealing with the King here, and his ego isn't exactly small. If they "welched", where's the lawsuit?

pplassm 01-04-2006 04:06 AM

Cool. Andy Grider is in the top 10. Hope he improves.

sarnali 01-04-2006 06:19 AM

The first couple are just practice

sarnali 01-04-2006 06:20 AM

Good point, If I wanted an orange bike it would be a Jota

sarnali 01-04-2006 06:22 AM

What's the logic behind BMW twins being dangerous? They've ran in Dakar for years.