Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Less power for bike riders to save young lives.

Can't hurt. Bike size and education.

You have to ride a lot of bikes over a number of years to realize they go as fast as you can ride them. And even when you reach that point you still wonder how nice it would be to have the latest 1000cc replica bike. I would hate to be 22 with a job that could get me on a CBR1000 for $0 down.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
eojmo
Founding Member

Sounds like a Furfee to me, who heard of a motorcycle being rated in millilitres? Unless the Crow eaters (South Australians) have a different measuring system, it should read 250 cc, cubic centimetres.But there again,who else could think up a name like Myponga beach.The whole article sounds a bit on the nose.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
gforces
Founding Member

I would welcome a similar system here. It would bring more people into the sport and cooler small displacement bikes into the market.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
josiandjames
Registered Member

This system is, or used to be used in England and perhaps some other countries, including Japan I think. For me, the real issue is: Does it work, i.e. help, in terms of reducing deaths and severe injuries in novice riders? Are there any stats available? Many years ago I worked in a bike shop and when a novice bought a new large displacement, fast bike, there was a high probability that the bike would be brought back totaled and the rider would be dead. Looking at a table of the rate of fatalities vs. length of riding experience, one can see that the first two years have the highest probability of a fatal accident and that by the time one has 30 years of riding experiences. the likelyhood of being killed on a motorcycle is lower that the likelyhood of being struck by lightning. Restricting power for, lets say, a year, seems to make sense, but hard data would help.
josiandjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
josiandjames
Registered Member

Since you don't reside in a metric country; one mililiter = one c.c.. It really is a simple system.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
josiandjames
Registered Member

Whoops! See above post for response. In Canada we have the metric system, but maybe we not so good at posting messages.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:51 PM   #7
tokoloshgolem
Founding Member

You've got to understand that in Australia each state sets its own rules about learner riders. New South Wales has had power to weight laws for a while. Personally, I think it is far more sensible than the old system that restricted capacity to 250cc and saw those bikes being sold at ridiculously high prices. Now, for example, you can learn to ride on a Ducati Monster 620 with a restrictor and, when you have your full licence, simply remove the restrictor.

Still, the motorcycle paranoia exists as is evident in the illogical facts argument represented in the article. Even on the slowest, most underpowered bike you would be just as dead in a head-on accident. Australian drivers are amonst the worst I have ever encountered. They should put their efforts into driver education and awareness rather than blaming the victims.

tokoloshgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:13 PM   #8
kentbrannon
Registered Member

Yo,

Seems like a bonzer idea. 250cc seems a bit low for road use though. 500cc is enough for the freeway while small enough to keep all but the most fool-hardy youngin' safer (not safe, but safer).
kentbrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:35 PM   #9
yo-me-mo
Founding Member

Its something at least. Here we just pretend there is no problem. I would limit availability of bikes to novices by hp and not cc's . Here every spring a lot of young riders get killed on sport bikes. Often when I read the report it happens in an area that I know is a bad area or road to go fast on. If these riders had two years under their belts they would probably know that and maybe still be around today.
yo-me-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:55 PM   #10
sv20man
Registered Member

Coming from New South Wales in Aus I can state that this has been the case for quite a few years and most people I talk to seem pretty happy. Used to be up to 250 but is now more sensibly a power to weight ratio and as has been mentioned Ducati 620 monster and BMW 650 fit into these requirements. And yes there are lots of loony stats thrown around to try to get us off the road including an article in the Australian Financial Review a few months back arguing that we should be taxed off the road.
sv20man is offline   Reply With Quote