Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-14-2005, 12:16 AM   #11
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: Less power for bike riders to save young lives.

This doesn't seem too bad when compared to Europe, where 125cc/15bhp is the norm. At least with 150kW/tonne you'll be allowed 35-40bhp on a full-sized bike, and that's enough for 80mph cruising on highways. Always knew that old Beemer R60/6 (40 bhp, 200kgs, fits the rules exactly) would come in handy for something...
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2005, 12:46 AM   #12
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Excellet post.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:48 AM   #13
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Excellent Post. You nailed it "Does it work"?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:49 AM   #14
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

I love the Aussie common sense approach.

The plan - developed with the SA Road Safety Advisory Council's Motorcycle Task Force - makes 21 recommendations, including:

"EXPANDING the use of high-skid resistant water-based pavement markings on roads.

UPGRADING roadside rest areas to be more amenable for motorcyclists.

IMPLEMENTING an improved training model to complement the licensing system for motorcycle riders. "

Old 11-14-2005, 02:08 AM   #15
eojmo
Founding Member

Ahh, DonÂ’t politicians make their new laws sound so simple. Again the majority must suffer the more excruciating restrictions because of a few, who, regardless of the law will still ride like idiots.( HavenÂ’t we all been teenagers ?) They always have and always and will. And whatÂ’s the bull***** about rest areas, most accidents happen in and around the metropolitan areas not out on the open roads. There are already more than enough places to stop for a rest. Now if there was some sort of licensing coordination between the 6 states and 2 territories it could be less frustrating when you can move interstate without having to change licences. A good start would be if all cities encouraged motorcyclists by providing basic things like plenty of motorcycle parking bays instead of treating them like second-class citizens.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:25 AM   #16
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Great idea

Sounds like a great idea, too many new bikers riding the latest 600cc or 1000cc race rep bike neither of which make a good first bike.

Went riding one weekend with two guys, me on my Buell XB12S another with an old worn out GS500 Suzuki, and a guy new to riding on a new Kawaskai 636 Ninja.

All went pretty well till we got out to Canyon lake which has a really twisty road and we left the new guy on the 636 so far behind we both stopped to wait and waited so long we thought he went down. The guy didn't even know about counter-steering, now is this some one that should be riding a 636 Ninja?

I don't think so.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:11 AM   #17
teknoman
Registered Member

It would be nice if the industry would give some of the euro bikes to the usa.But that is not likely to happen.Like the new suzuki gsr 600 ,nice ergoes etc.Someone I know has a nice 400 viffer.Yep a 400 he bought in japan.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:30 AM   #18
Fenton
Founding Member

Since MO is based in the US; one c.c. = one c.c.. I can't keep it more simple than that.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:32 AM   #19
acecycleins
Founding Member

I've been in the arguement before... I sell motorcycle insurance for a living and based on Euro and English data there is a reason to limit the bikes. Basically, if you follow the English guidelines and keep 16 & 17 yo kids off of anything over 125 cc and up to 21 yo off of anything over 500 cc we (the consumer) will see a drastic shift in premiums for certain bikes. If you are over 21 and a beginner you would be limited to 250-500 cc bikes for two years. They base alot of the driving program in England on power output. As such, it could be slightly modified here to allow for our interstate system. Also, it would open the market to some of the coolest low cc bikes on the market. Anyone ever really look at an Aprilia rs125? Very cool bike. There are dozens of 50-250 cc bikes that America never sees. They all meet Euro III emmisions. How much different are the EPA standards? Probably not much.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:52 AM   #20
bbtowns
Founding Member

Wouldn't legislating limits by HP simply encourage the inexperienced to ride a 1,500 cc Harley, which only puts out 70 some odd HP but weighs 700 + lbs and puts out oodles of torque? I agree with your post, but wonder whether weight or performance limits in combination would work.