Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 10-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Bad intersection

2 wheels rule!
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2005, 02:30 PM   #2
rossbiker
Founding Member

This looks exactly like every third intersection in India. I saw this kind of packing and craziness in Bangalore, Mysore, and New Dehli when I was travelling for work last September.

I did hire a motorcycle for a day and go riding with my fiance, but I only did that in the off-season in Goa, which is the Indian beach/vacation state. There was a little craziness here and there, but nothing like the big cities. Complications included the different shift pattern on the bike (top to bottom: N-1-2-3-4), the wildly different torque curve of a 135cc two-stroke, and the completely inferior front drum brake (I barely touch the rear brake on my own ride).

The way it works is: everyone is always looking forward and picking their own way through. Top speed rarely gets up to 45km/h and is more usually in the 25-35km/h range. Side mirrors are folded out of the way (if they're mounted at all) to make it easier to slip into tight spaces at intersections. Right of way rules: military wins, then big to small, then the vehicle in front wins. Head on encounters (left turn through traffic) are negotiated individually, though speed is much reduced (as you can see in the Saigon movie).

In order to let a driver in front of you know that you are behind them, you honk your horn. An almost constant stream of single beeps is a simple "here I am" message. Two or three quick beeps is usually an acknowledgement of some sort (I hear you. I see your turn signal. etc.) Long blasts on the horn are usually reserved for "you're an asshat".

A road vehicle in India may not have windows, decent tires, an actual seat, working headlights or doors, but it will absolutely positively have a perfectly functioning horn or it will not be used on the street.

It was all quite interesting once I overcame my fear of nearly constant collision and started paying attention to what was going on around me.

Later,

Ross
rossbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
schizuki
Founding Member

Saigon. I can't believe I'm still in [SCREEEEEETCH! CRASH!] arrrgggghhh!

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
schizuki
Founding Member

"Charlie don't swerve!"

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Wow, cool.

10 years ago that Saigon traffic would have been accompanied by choking clouds of two stroke smoke, so thick that it obscured whole intersections, and resulted in traffic accidents 'cause people couldn't see each other.

Another benefit of the 4 stroke revolution?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:19 AM   #6
jjasper
Founding Member

I have been to China many times and it is similar, especially in Southern China. Although that mass is more and more turning into cages

The riding skill of these guys on little 125 and 250cc motorcycles and 50cc scooters is amazing.

Screw MSF courses, if people had to ride in these conditions for a year everyone would be a skilled rider and be ready for the joys of lane splitting.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:57 AM   #7
moorejr
Registered Member

and no crashes!!!!! These rides are crazy or just good.
moorejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:12 AM   #8
tomk2
Founding Member

they're good... anybody can be if they focus on their driving

no music, cell phone, vanity mirror, Big Mac & Jumbo Fries with Coke, etc etc
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:38 AM   #9
fruggle
Founding Member

Finally a vision of true insanity!!

Nice video.
fruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:51 AM   #10
drthompson65
Founding Member

As a guy with a Vietnamese Ex Wife I can contest that is what Saigon is like. you take your life in your hands when you go out on the street..
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote