Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 10-11-2005, 10:49 AM   #11
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: VIETNAMESE DRIVERS ROCK!

If a traffic light fails, we freak out and instant gridlock occurs.

The Vietnamese have no traffic light and they navigate the intersection from numerous angles without a single crash.

Maybe we should all learn to drive in Vietnam. When we come back home, driving will be a piece of cake.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2005, 11:45 AM   #12
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Re: Bad intersection

i'm with you on India. I thought New Delhi was positively civlized compared to Chennai and Mumbai. Still working there is great fun. Hero Honda rules. Long live the Bullet. you forgot about honking at the corner to let people know as well.

how'd ya like india air air india and jet air?

regards ed
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:05 PM   #13
Cam
Registered Member

That's a fun clip! Reminds me a little of Mexico City traffic, which I visited twice for extended periods on my ZX-9R. People do stop for traffic lights when they feel like it - all other rules are out the window. I even remember seeing an ambulance with lights and sirens going caught in traffic because no one would move for it.

Lane splitting, occasional sidewalk use, and extensive honking were de rigeur. It was oddly fun dealing with the traffic, as I recall.

Haven't experienced Asia yet, but hope to.

Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:53 AM   #14
sivacor
Registered Member

Default There is a traffic signal

There is a traffic signal at this intersection, which is why you can see the traffic flow from one direction sort of stop and then the other direction starts to move across. Obviously, the traffic signal is viewed as more of a helpful suggestion. BTW, my friend from Vietnam says this intersection is relatively civilized compared to many others that have no traffic signal. He describes these signal-less intersections as big clusterf**ks that tend to move in a slow, circular fashion. Sounds like utter chaos to me.
sivacor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:57 AM   #15
SRMark
Founding Member

I'm not a praying man but tonight I shall thank the lord that I live no where near there.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:05 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Don't forget the double parking where you flip on your hazard lights and just hop out of the car and leave it there!

Hazard lights in Mexico City mean "I'm about to inconvenience anyone behind me."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:54 AM   #17
bboule
Founding Member

A big part of this is just that they are on bikes instead of cars... you can see the other riders so as to use body language to cede right of way.

It just doesn't work with cars. Full face helmets probably hurt some of it too but not as bad as cars.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:06 AM   #18
Founding Member

Default Re: There is a traffic signal

The traffic signal is some guys with whistles, not a traffic light like we are used to.

If you look closely in the video you can see a guy or two standing in the middle of the intersection trying to direct traffic.
AvatarPulse is offline   Reply With Quote